maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Fukushima
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:28 am 
Honorary Texan

Reputation points: 7398
Quote:
Endless Fukushima catastrophe: 2020 Olympics under contamination threat

As the escape of radiation at Fukushima seems virtually unstoppable, there are still steps that governments all over the world should take to prevent worst case consequences. One of them would be canceling the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

Scientific estimates predict that the radioactive plume travelling east across the Pacific will likely hit the shores of Oregon, Washington State and Canada early next year. California will probably be impacted later that year. Because the ongoing flow of water from the reactor site will be virtually impossible to stop, a radioactive plume will continue to migrate across the Pacific affecting Hawaii, North America, South America and eventually Australia for many decades.

We are only talking about ocean currents, however, fish swim thousands of miles and don’t necessarily follow the currents. As noted in Part I, big fish concentrate radiation most efficiently, and tuna have already been caught off the coast of California containing cesium from Fukushima. Seaweed also efficiently concentrates radioactive elements.

As I contemplate the future at Fukushima, it seems that the escape of radiation is virtually unstoppable. The levels of radiation in buildings 1, 2 and 3 are now so high that no human can enter or get close to the molten cores. It will therefore be impossible to remove these cores for hundreds of years if ever.

http://rt.com/op-edge/fukushima-catastr ... mpics-883/

This is a lot more serious than I thought.

Japanese politicians are just like American politicians.

Post subject: Re: Fukushima
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:51 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12194
It's pretty awful. The solution cries out for robotics, but that would be a very expensive solution -- tens of billions in USD, likely -- and therefore not the sort of thing for which TEP is willing to pay.

We have our own precariously located nukes. San Onofre for example.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:06 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16806
I'm sure there won't be any more earthquakes. ;)

Man, that was sobering. I can't believe they still have damaged fuel rods sitting in a tank on top of building 4. :shock:

Hory crap! At least get the stuff you can get to a stable situation.

San Onofre just was shut down for good. Still fuel there for quite a while, though. Have to be a mother of a tsunami to get to the reactors at San Onofre. They are up on a cliff. Maybe if the San Andreas cracks and they lose coolant it would be bad. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:54 pm 
Honorary Texan

I watched this video:

I'm starting to get real interested in this. Now, this guy is a crackpot and a nut, BUT if even one-tenth of what he postulates come to be, then we are in an "extinction event"

It appears to be truly the End of Days

Diehl, you were right about the apocalypse except it isn't going to be zombies, it'll be the Japanese.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:04 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6825
Old Eagle wrote:
.......it isn't going to be zombies, it'll be the Japanese.

it seems they are intent on eating every single thing possible (and impossible i.e. jellyfish ice cream) and a fondness for tentacles ....
I sense Cthulu may be behind this and the Japanese are merely ..... minions..... Ftslgf!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:21 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16223
mdiehl wrote:
It's pretty awful. The solution cries out for robotics, but that would be a very expensive solution -- tens of billions in USD, likely -- and therefore not the sort of thing for which TEP is willing to pay.

We have our own precariously located nukes. San Onofre for example.

You'd think that the Japanese would be able to come up with robotic solutions, considering all the work that they have done on robotics:

Perhaps they are too busy using their robots as strippers:

or in music videos:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwQuXbae3N4&list=PL911C6290F9255C9C[/youtube]

To use them at Fukishima......

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:45 pm 
Honorary Texan

I would have thought that the Japanese wouldn't have built such a shoddy plant.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:16 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688
At the risk of derailing the wonderful inanity :lol: a somewhat serious reply . . .

Old Eagle wrote:
I would have thought that the Japanese wouldn't have built such a shoddy plant.

I agree. However, here is how the independent investigatory commission put it

http://www.nirs.org/fukushima/naiic_report.pdf

Quote:
The official report of
Executive summary
The Fukushima
Nuclear Accident Independent
Investigation Commission

THE EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI of March 11, 2011 were natural disasters of a magnitude
that shocked the entire world. Although triggered by these cataclysmic events, the subsequent
accident at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant cannot be regarded as a natural
disaster. It was a profoundly manmade disaster – that could and should have been foreseen
and prevented. And its effects could have been mitigated by a more effective human response.
How could such an accident occur in Japan, a nation that takes such great pride in its global
reputation for excellence in engineering and technology? This Commission believes the
Japanese people – and the global community – deserve a full, honest and transparent answer
to this question.

Our report catalogues a multitude of errors and willful negligence that left the Fukushima
plant unprepared for the events of March 11. And it examines serious deficiencies in the
response to the accident by TEPCO, regulators and the government.

For all the extensive detail it provides, what this report cannot fully convey – especially to
a global audience – is the mindset that supported the negligence behind this disaster.
What must be admitted – very painfully – is that this was a disaster “Made in Japan.”
Its fundamental causes are to be found in the ingrained conventions of Japanese culture:
our reflexive obedience; our reluctance to question authority; our devotion to ‘sticking with
the program’; our groupism; and our insularity.

Had other Japanese been in the shoes of those who bear responsibility for this accident,
the result may well have been the same.

Following the 1970s “oil shocks,” Japan accelerated the development of nuclear power in
an effort to achieve national energy security. As such, it was embraced as a policy goal by
government and business alike, and pursued with the same single-minded determination
that drove Japan’s postwar economic miracle.

With such a powerful mandate, nuclear power became an unstoppable force, immune to
scrutiny by civil society. Its regulation was entrusted to the same government bureaucracy
responsible for its promotion. At a time when Japan’s self-confidence was soaring, a tightly
knit elite with enormous financial resources had diminishing regard for anything ‘not
invented here.’

This conceit was reinforced by the collective mindset of Japanese bureaucracy, by which
the first duty of any individual bureaucrat is to defend the interests of his organization.
Carried to an extreme, this led bureaucrats to put organizational interests ahead of their
paramount duty to protect public safety.

Only by grasping this mindset can one understand how Japan’s nuclear industry managed
to avoid absorbing the critical lessons learned from Three Mile Island and Chernobyl; and how
it became accepted practice to resist regulatory pressure and cover up small-scale accidents.
It was this mindset that led to the disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant.
This report singles out numerous individuals and organizations for harsh criticism, but the
goal is not—and should not be—to lay blame. The goal must be to learn from this disaster,
and reflect deeply on its fundamental causes, in order to ensure that it is never repeated.
Many of the lessons relate to policies and procedures, but the most important is one upon
which each and every Japanese citizen should reflect very deeply.

The consequences of negligence at Fukushima stand out as catastrophic, but the mindset
that supported it can be found across Japan. In recognizing that fact, each of us should reflect
on our responsibility as individuals in a democratic society.

As the first investigative commission to be empowered by the legislature and independent of
the bureaucracy, we hope this initiative can contribute to the development of Japan’s civil society.
Above all, we have endeavored to produce a report that meets the highest standard of
transparency. The people of Fukushima, the people of Japan and the global community
deserve nothing less.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:39 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688
Anyway . . . a society that produces this kind of marvel can't be all bad.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12194
Quote:
I'm starting to get real interested in this.

Hard to take him seriously. He used the wrong siren; he used the attack warning. For radiation alert you want the "gray warning" or, in extremis, the "black warning."

For your edification, here are the alert warning (tornadoes, floods, etc), attack warning, and Gray warning. :ugeek:

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next