It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: the cats
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:40 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 12603
C_S wrote:
albino
Don't think so, haven't been close enough to be sure but from a distance it looks like a normal white kitten.

I'll ask Ning to check.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:56 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14970
I would guess it is a male cat and it has a recessive allele that inhibits expression of the genes that shape color? Coat color in domesticated cats is largely influenced by loci on the X-chromosome. Thus, the vast majority of calico cats are female.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calico_cat

Here this page might clarify for you: http://messybeast.com/whitecat.htm

ADDIT: Ah, I was wrong! As usual, genetics is unpredictable!
Quote:
In some animals, the blue-eyed white trait is sex-linked (carried on the X chromosome) and is found in males more often than in females. In cats, the gene for white is carried on an autosome (a chromosome other than the X or Y sex chromosomes) and the trait occurs equally in male and female cats. Blue-eyed white is not sex-linked in cats.

So the "non-albino" white cats have a gene which "masks" expression of the other genes which contribute to black/red coloration.

Quote:
Dominant white (more properly "epistatic white" since it occurs on a different gene to the black-based or red-based colours) denoted by the gene symbol WD (previously "W"), is the colour associated with deafness in cats. Dominant white masks all other colours and purebred dominant white cats may have blue, orange or odd eyes (randombred dominant white cats have a wider palette of colours). Those with blue eyes have a high chance of deafness. Those with one blue eye have a high chance of deafness on the blue-eyed side. Those with orange eyes are far less likely to be deaf. Some dominant white kittens are born with smudges of coloured fur on top of the head where the colour is incompletely masked, this smudge of colour usually disappears by adulthood, but kittens with colour smudges are more likely to have normal hearing. These cats are not albinos; genetically they can be any colour, but the white is dominant to those other colours (albinism is an absence of other colours).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:41 pm 
buck private

Anthropoid wrote:
{Snip}
I assume I'll never know whether s/he is albino without a university degree and even then it's only maybe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17757
She's an indoor outdoor cat. When she didn't come in last night for her dinner I went out calling her and looking for her. Found her this morning.

Reckon everyone here understands how much it it sucks when one of ur beloved critters moves on.

Bought a fith of vadka. This is a day I'm not going to remember. Not a good idea but some things are too sad for me to deal w/. My memory of this will be vague at best.

Something really depressing and sad just happened. Bottoms up. I don't know how else to deal w/ it.

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

Sometimes it's ok to cry.

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:38 pm 
Sergeant Major

There were times she'd jump on me wanting me to pet her, and I'd shoo her off.

I'm going to go insane thinking about how much more I could have done to be nice to this little lady.

I'm so sad right now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:49 pm 
buck private

RIP

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:05 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 18648
C_S wrote:
There were times she'd jump on me wanting me to pet her, and I'd shoo her off.

I'm going to go insane thinking about how much more I could have done to be nice to this little lady.

I'm so sad right now.

Shit, I'm sorry mate. Losing a beloved pet does suck. Just take solace in the fact that she had you there to care for her, feed her and give her a home. I am sure she was very grateful for having you there for her in her own little cat way.

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:41 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
I cried when my dog Winnie got hit by a car. Very sad. We adopted her as a mature adult because my wife's cousin owned a boat and she never adapted to taking a leak on the boat so she would suffer on overnight trips. She would run if you left the door open and had no sense around cars. Fantastic dog, otherwise. She could dive and catch fish in clear water. Right off a dock or a boat. Straight up in the air, tucks her front legs in...head first like a freaking hairy, 100 lb cormirant...and then swam like a demon fish..and up she comes with a 12 inch trout. If you spotted the fish first you just call "Winnie" in an excited voice and point at the target and she would take off without even looking.

Sorry to hear about the cat. Easy on the ethanol, there, amigo.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:45 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14970
Losing a pet is very hard. But bro, you know damn well alcohol ain't gonna help you. Pour out whatever you haven't already drank and stop that shit.

Profile E-mail