All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Forty-Nine Headless Corpses Found in Mexico
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:02 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 18898
Old Eagle wrote:
You kill all the bad guys, stupid.

Great rebuttal, and you accuse me of being childish? :lol:

My 10 year old daughter can come up with a better argument than that... :?

Quote:
Shouldn't you go back to your childish "Cosmic Queer" thread and leave the war fighting to the men?

Again with the Queer reference. It's ok matey, its the 21st Century and its safe for you to come out of the closet now...

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:53 pm 
Honorary Texan

Reputation points: 8023
Mac wrote:
Old Eagle wrote:
You kill all the bad guys, stupid.

Great rebuttal, and you accuse me of being childish? :lol:

My 10 year old daughter can come up with a better argument than that... :?

Quote:
Shouldn't you go back to your childish "Cosmic Queer" thread and leave the war fighting to the men?

Again with the Queer reference. It's ok matey, its the 21st Century and its safe for you to come out of the closet now...

Yeah, yeah, yeah..... :roll:

If Sir Elton wont have you, maybe you can find another fruit to live with.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:09 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
http://news.trust.org/item/20180111041114-6js0h

Quote:
U.S. travel warning puts 5 Mexican states on par with war-torn nations
by Reuters
Thursday, 11 January 2018 04:10 GMT

MEXICO CITY, Jan 10 (Reuters) - Rampant crime and gang activity in Mexico prompted the U.S. State Department on Wednesday to issue a stringent travel advisory, warning tourists to completely avoid five Mexican states, an advisory level often reserved for nations at war.

The State Department's highest "do not travel" advisory places the states of Colima, Michoacan, Sinaloa, Tamaulipas and Guerrero at the same warning level as war-ravaged Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq.

The advisory delivered a stark reminder of the formerly ritzy seaside resort city Acapulco fall from grace.

Once a glamorous playground for the Hollywood jet set, including Frank Sinatra and Rita Hayworth, the resort in Guerrero state now has one of the highest murder rates in the world, having fallen victim to vicious gang warfare in recent years.

"Armed groups operate independently of the government in many areas of Guerrero. Members of these groups frequently maintain roadblocks and may use violence towards travelers," said the State Department.

Overall, the State Department placed Mexico at the second of its four-stage travel advisory levels.

"Exercise increased caution in Mexico due to crime ... violent crime, such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery, is widespread," it said.

The advisory underscored the limitations that the U.S. government faces in providing emergency services in many areas of Mexico because U.S. government employees are prohibited from traveling to those areas.

Clashes between rival drug gangs contributed to a record number of murders in Mexico last year, according to official data, dealing a fresh blow to President Enrique Pena Nieto's pledge to bring gang violence under control with presidential elections due in July 2018.

In recent months, about a dozen politicians, officials and candidates for elected office have been killed in states where there are struggles between criminal groups for the control of drug trafficking routes. (Reporting by Anthony Esposito; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore)

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:28 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Had an old friend of the family from high school, who temporarily moved to Mexico with her family for a few years, give some politically warped view of Mexico to us about a year ago.

Stated she rolls her eyes when Americans talk about how bad it is, living in Mexico. Then she went on to provide a bunch of qualifier "ifs" and "buts". Such as "it's great if you live on the coast, in a more tourist friendly area", and "you need to stay out of the Mexican police's eye because they will extort bribes from you."

Also stuff about them not being allowed to purchase property, or if they eventually get the paperwork & years of toil done, likely with $$, the Mexican gov't officials can still take it away, if they feel like it, with no reimbursement.

Yeahhh. Well, maybe they enjoy living in the limited & more tourist-friendly areas. But what they began telling me about their civil rights there as legal immigrants, and having to be so limited & careful, didn't quite sync up as being the wonderful ice cream & bacon living experience professed. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:56 pm 
Sergeant Major

My sister and her family used to take short vacations in Mexico every couple years.
They would go to the tourist places (but IIRC avoided places like Acapulco. Rather they would stay at some of the lesser known places to avoid the crowds).
My parents were not thrilled with it and I raised my concerns as well about the crime.

Nothing ever happened to them though.

I did notice though that its been a number of years since they took a vacation there. :)

They bought a vacation house on a lake about 100 miles outside Chicago so that probably explains it.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:22 pm 
Sergeant Major

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/25-339-murder ... 02989.html

Quote:
With 25,339 murders in 2017, Mexico suffers record homicide tally

Reuters ReutersJanuary 21, 201

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - There were more than 25,000 murders across drug-ravaged Mexico in 2017, the highest annual tally since modern records began, government data showed.

Investigators opened 25,339 murder probes last year, up nearly 25 percent from the 2016 tally, interior ministry data released on Saturday showed. It was the highest annual total since the government began counting murders in 1997.

Mexico has struggled with years of violence as the government has battled vicious drug cartels that have increasingly splintered into smaller, more bloodthirsty, gangs.

Violence is a central issue in July's presidential election. Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto faces an uphill battle to keep his ruling Institutional Revolutionary Party in office.

There were 40 percent more murder investigations opened last year compared with 2013, Pena Nieto's first full year in office.

Mexico on Thursday dismissed a claim by U.S. President Donald Trump that it was the most dangerous country in the world.

(Reporting by Gabriel Stargardter; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

Mexico's population compared to the United States is only 37%. (121 million for Mexico vs 321.2 million for the US) yet Mexico had almost 47% more homicides that the US did (17,250 for US--2016 numbers).

I would say that State Department Travel warning was justified.

Profile E-mail