Reading

The rules: No spamming, no making a nuisance of yourself.

Moderators: chijohnaok, Kameolontti

nelmsm
Staff Sergeant
Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here

Re: Reading

#301 Post by nelmsm » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:41 am

chijohnaok wrote:While I have not started reading it yet, I wanted to post regarding this:

https://www.amazon.com/Harms-Way-James- ... oks&sr=1-1

The book is “Harm’s Way” by James Bassett.

This is the novel on which the 1965 film “In Harm’s Way” by Otto Preminger was based.
The film starred John Wayne, Kirk Douglas and Burgess Meredith.

The Kindle version of the book is on special right now for 99 cents, regularly $9.99.
Thanks for the alert. Went ahead and added it to my growing list of books to read. I think I'm about to the point now that if I retire tomorrow and read a book a day I'll be busy for the next 6 years.
Texas, where we have the death penalty and aren't afraid to use it! Build the wall!!

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#302 Post by chijohnaok » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:05 pm

Currently reading:

COCHRANE
The Real Master and Commander

By

DAVID CORDINGLY

Reading it on the Nook app from Barnes & Noble
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

nelmsm
Staff Sergeant

#303 Post by nelmsm » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:10 am

Finished the first of Palmers trilogy on The Battle of Chickamauga and now plowing through Alan Schom's book on Napolean Bonaparte.
Texas, where we have the death penalty and aren't afraid to use it! Build the wall!!

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#304 Post by chijohnaok » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:00 pm

Episode one of a new audio book is up on You Tube:
Tune in for the first thrilling instalment of the true story of The Bridge Busters, a forgotten RAF mission to thwart Germany's invasion of Britain in 1940 carried out by a collection of brave British and Australian aircrew sent on a mission so important and so dangerous that few would be expected to return alive!

Based on the book 'The Bridge Busters', written and narrated by Mark Felton.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

C_S
Sergeant Major

#305 Post by C_S » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:23 pm

Finished the first of Palmers trilogy on The Battle of Chickamauga
Grew up near there and walked the battlefield many times. If it mentions Wilder Tower I've climbed it. Also been to the top of Lookout Mountain. Missionary Ridge and so on. The area seems highly defensible, the terrain is rugged. The Yankees pretty much over runned it. An example of how outclassed the souf was.
This post is not a legal document under any circumstance. It has not been prepared at all and is written offhand in jest while mentally impaired.
Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of a psychoanalyst.

nelmsm
Staff Sergeant

#306 Post by nelmsm » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:48 pm

Finished up Schom's book on Napoleon and also the Burke Davis book on Sherman's March. Working on Guenzlo's book Gettysburg: The Last Invasion. Really enjoying it so far and add somethings I hadn't read anywhere else concerning some the friction between commanders and so on.

nero
Sergeant Major

#307 Post by nero » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:20 pm

nelmsm wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:48 pm
Finished up Schom's book on Napoleon and also the Burke Davis book on Sherman's March. Working on Guenzlo's book Gettysburg: The Last Invasion. Really enjoying it so far and add somethings I hadn't read anywhere else concerning some the friction between commanders and so on.
I have read both Davis' Sherman's March and Guelzo's Last Invasion. Especially I enjoyed Guelzo's book which is relatively recent. ;)

In Davis' book there is humor -- Kilpatrick's message to Sherman: "I just renamed Barnwell to Burnwell". :roll:
A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major
Location: marching home to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzVYCs4BMY]Erica[/url]

#308 Post by Anthropoid » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:00 pm

Should have my library fully unpacked and shelved in the next few weeks! The master carpenter who is going to build shelves in my Man Cave Walls starts work next Wed. I'm looking forward to reading again.

nero
Sergeant Major

#309 Post by nero » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:08 pm

nelmsm wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:10 am
Finished the first of Palmers trilogy on The Battle of Chickamauga and now plowing through Alan Schom's book on Napolean Bonaparte.
I just came up with this video.

Is it any good?

I find it quite good. But what do I know. :roll:
A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller