maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Reading
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:04 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 9282
Am thinking of picking up a Kindle so was going through my downloaded books.

Found this,

http://www.marines.mil/news/publication ... lcanal.pdf

Interesting lessons learned through experience from the grunts. Nice for those times you just want to peruse.

PS
The Edson quoted was commander of the Marine Raiders.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Reading
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:06 pm 
Honorary Texan

Reputation points: 7398
Andy, Welcome to the kindle. Your eyes will thank you

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:30 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 7610
You'll be glad you got one!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:46 pm 
buck private

Been a while since anybody has posted about their reading so here goes, been reading:
Quote:
A History of the Jews [Paperback]
Paul Johnson (Author) 4.0 out of 5 stars

{Snip}
Quote:
5.0 out of 5 stars A Saga Of Four Thousand Years!, March 11, 2002
By
dougrhon "dougrhon"
This review is from: A History of the Jews (Paperback)
This is my third book by British historian Paul Johnson. There is no question that he is an extremely talented writer and an excellent but opinionated historian. As always this combination makes for a lively and exciting read. Johnson states in the introduction that, as a believing Christian, he feels he owes much to the Jewish people who he greatly admires. He therefore felt that he wanted to write a complete history. It proves that a good Jewish history does not need to be written by a Jew. Johnson divides Jewish history into a series of epochs, each one of which consumes a part in the book. The chapters are called "Israelites" which covers the biblical period, "Judaism" which covers the period from the building of the Second Temple through the early Christian and early Islamic period, "Cathedocracy" in which Johnson deals with the experience of the Jews under medieval Christendom and Islam, "Ghetto" which deals with the late Medieval and Renaissance period in Europe. "Emancipation" which discusses the 18th and 19th centuries in Europe, "Holocaust" which needs no further explanation and "Zion" which covers not only the birth of modern Israel but also the post-war Jewish experience world wide.

This book is enormously detailed and highly opinionated. Johnson's affection for the Jewish people shines through on virtually every page. Never one to hedge on a conclusion, Johnson has opinions on everyone from Abraham to Begin. My favorite chapter was the opening one, "Israelites". Here Johnson attempts to use similarities between biblical descriptions and known facts of other ancient civilzations to demonstrate that the bible, from Abraham forward is essentially historical. This section will be of enormous interest to everyone, whatever your knowledge of the bible. The Jewish saga is the human saga. It is complete with pathos, absurdity, tragedy and triumph. It is remarkable that an ancient people could survive under such hostile conditions. Really a miracle. Johnson captures the essence of that miracle. The entire book will be of interest to those with less than complete knowledge of Jewish history. It will also be excellent reading for those who have a good knowledge of Jewish history because of Johnson's excellent writing ability. This book is well worth the money.
It starts with Abraham buying his tomb from two Hittites and as soon as I saw 'Hittites' the question 'Where are the Hittites' came to mind. :lol: ;)

Well into the first of 4 chapters, so far a great read about a people that everybody knows of, but not in detailed.

PS
Didn't get one of the popular readers, got the ASUS Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet w/Docking station, not as handy as the readers but with my eyes it's great, plus with Apps it handles nearly all formats.

PPS
It also acts as a 'Retro' gaming platform, can play many DOS, Apple2, Amiga, plus other older games ... there are bunches of 'em.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:12 am 
PFC

Reputation points: 613
Reading Levin's new book, "Ameritopia"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:44 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6825
reading George Tenet at the center of the storm , and the Boston Punk Scene ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:22 pm 
buck private

While waiting for Ning's Visa interview I read half of "George Washington - Man and Monument" Marcus Cunliffe. I pick it out of my library because it was slender and light, can't take the TF 101 into the embassy. During the 5 hour wait I read about half and found it a darn good read, the basic idea is the American people have made Washington into a plaster saint and the author tells his life story warts and all so we get a view of him as a ordinary man, one heck of a man, but just a man:.
Quote:
3 of 5 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars Life story of George Washington, March 17, 2008
By
David Brockert "constant reader" (Madison, Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: George Washington: Man and Monument (Mentor) (Library Binding)
"George Washington - Man and Monument"

The enjoyable bit about this book is its irreverent attitude about our first president. He was great and worthy of our respect and adoration, but he was truly only a man in the right place at the right time, who used his position for the betterment of all.

Professor Cunliffe presents President Washington as a young man growing up in the near wilds of Virginia. President Washington almost had the opportunity to be well educated in the manner of his older half brothers, but his father died and he had to make do with the education of any other Virginian farm boy. This was not bad, but put him in the position of being not as 'good' as his older siblings and others who did get a complete education in England. The psychological implications of this makes me think he spent his life trying to make up for this lacking. Professor Cunliffe admits that if President Washington had not lived or been in the positions he was in, someone else would have done so. The moot question is: Would they have done so well for so many?

Professor Cunliffe keeps coming back to the adulation President Washington received after his death. Was it deserved or too much? The adulation was deserved and not too much. I have heard that Neal Pert (drummer for "Rush") and Eric Clapton (some kind of blues guitarist) are gods, why not President Washington? What is a God, but one who exhibits extraordinary abilities, and these three, as well as others, I am sure, deserve to be considered as Gods
http://www.amazon.com/George-Washington ... 0451626443
As for "A History of the Jews" I've been reading, still reading it. Good read.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:45 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 3038
Reading a book on Ibn Saud. Dry, not the easiest reading, but good. Another book I'd never had read weren't it for the Nook/Kindle (I have a Nook E-reader and a Kindle Fire and love both, the E-ink Nook is best for hard core reading). Biggest downside is how hard it is to reference maps in ebooks versus real books.

Also working on the 5th Game of Thrones book. I'm taking it slow to savor it though :).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:48 am 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 7610
Just finished Cain at Gettysburg by Ralph Peters. Similar to Killer Angels but from different point of views. I especially like that he gave us a perspective from Meade.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:40 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6825
Game of Thrones book
that is on my reading list ... looks good!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next