maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Reading
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:34 am 
Offline
Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:03 pm
Posts: 1370
Location: Sydney
Reputation points: 3553
Since July 1914 - oops 2014 - I have been following the Great War week by week on the Great War channel on Youtube.

Hence I found a book: The Fall of the Ottomans 1914 - 1920.

Explains why Islam is crap.

Explains why the Ottomans fell.

Everybody wanted independance from the Ottomans. Everybody.

.

_________________
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
“Stay in attack formation”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reading
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:04 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 26968
Location: West coast of the east coast
Reputation points: 16223
Joe wrote:
Since July 1914 - oops 2014 - I have been following the Great War week by week on the Great War channel on Youtube.

Hence I found a book: The Fall of the Ottomans 1914 - 1920.

Explains why Islam is crap.

Explains why the Ottomans fell.

Everybody wanted independance from the Ottomans. Everybody.

.


I have not read the book but I suspect that even some Turks wanted independence from the Ottomans. ;-)


PS That book is available at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PWX7S96/re ... TF8&btkr=1

_________________
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reading
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:57 am 
Offline
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 14354
Reputation points: 9532
Just downloaded this at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/9069

Quote:
Dane Coolidge, The Texican (1911)


This early cowboy western is a rollicking political satire, the likes of which a reader would find difficult to duplicate in a western novel today. The Texican of the title is a freelance cattle rustler, Pecos Dalhart, who fetches up in Arizona, where he gets involved in a feud between two rival cattlemen, Ike Crittendon and John Upton.

Plot and character. Crittendon hires Pecos to alter the brands on any of Upton’s cattle he finds on the range. Meanwhile, the local sheriff, Boone Morgan, is alert to any signs of cattle theft, and when Crittendon falsely accuses Pecos of stealing a cow, he gets hauled in to the county jail, to await trial.

Pecos draws his pistol
Pecos, as Dane Coolidge describes him, was “born a Democrat and taught to love whiskey and hate Mexicans.” However, he has begun reading an anti-capitalist newspaper, The Voice of Reason, which has opened his eyes to the corrupt law enforcement system used by the rich to oppress the poor. Sheriff Morgan soon learns he has incarcerated an outspoken advocate of revolution.

Cracking heads, Pecos immediately overturns Morgan’s use of a prisoner-run kangaroo court for maintaining order in the jail. Joined by a friend and fellow revolutionary, Angevine “Babe” Thorne (jailed for drunk and disorderly), and winning the respect and protection of the Mexican prisoners, Pecos takes charge behind bars. He is soon getting preferred treatment from Hung Wo, provider of the jail’s meal service.
Read more »
http://buddiesinthesaddle.blogspot.com/ ... .html#more



Not often you get a political saga in a hundred year old western, next on my read list.

The man (Ron Scheer) who managed 'Buddies in the Saddle' died of a liver cancer a couple of years ago. He last post maintained the blog up to the end with remarks of his problems with the cancer.

Was a fan of his.

_________________
Merry Christmas to all


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reading
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:14 pm 
Offline
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 14354
Reputation points: 9532
Got side tracked, will read 'The Texican' after i Listen to 'Citizen of the Galaxy' at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N1ME5mXWBU

It's a 10 hour audio that's sort of timely:
Quote:
You Are Here: Home → 2016 → August → Heinlein Rereads: Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert A Heinlein
Heinlein Rereads: Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert A Heinlein
Mark Yon August 27, 2016 0 Comment

Citizen of the Galaxy
It begins with a slave auction… and ends up as a revolution.

Here’s the latest reread of Heinlein’s works, as Mark continues his intermittent re-read of Robert Heinlein’s novels through the Virginia Edition series.

With the latest juvenile in the series (after Time for the Stars) we’re back to that now-common Heinlein bildungsroman. Citizen is a tale that begins with a relatively uneducated young man and shows that with a suitable education, administered through an appropriate mentor, good can make a difference.

The plot of the book is in three main parts. In the first, a boy we later know as Thorby is bought and brought up by a crippled beggar, Baslim. Despite Baslim’s disabilities, Thorby is given an education in life that enables him to make progress.

This leads to the second part of the plot, where Thorby is smuggled onto a spaceship as a favour to Baslim and is accepted as part of the Free Traders. This is, at first glance, typical old-school Heinlein. Whilst with the Free Traders in space Thorby is given a broader education. Much of this is adapting to new cultures and lifestyles as well as being trained as a fire controlman, until Baslim’s debt is repaid and Thorby is handed over to the military.

The final section of the story is when Thorby, now a young adult, makes good on his promises to his mentor. His identity is revealed and Thorby takes on the mighty legal departments of Earth.
(Continued)
https://www.sffworld.com/2016/08/citize ... -heinlein/
One of the items covered in the review was Heinlein's problem with the juvenile series was: “The kid’s books worry me too much. Each one means four months of chronic insomnia and physical debilitation simply because I am so acutely conscious that so many censors stand between me and my readers.” the problem was a Miss Alice Dalgleish who wouldn't let any hint of adult fiction. Heinlein has his revenge at the end of this book, the hero is adult by then and Heinlein has him in a girlie bar, drinking. :shock: According to the reviewer.

_________________
Merry Christmas to all


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reading
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:43 pm 
Offline
Staff Sergeant

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3544
Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 7610
Any of our Finnish members read or know anything about this book?

https://www.amazon.com/Finlands-War-Cho ... +of+choice

Picked it up on Amazon today for a whopping $0.99

_________________
Texas, where we have the death penalty and aren't afraid to use it! Cruz 2020!!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reading
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:50 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 23983
Reputation points: 16925
Just read "Jefferson and the Barbary Pirates" on the airplane.

Pretty good read. Quite amazing that the major European powers had not simply smashed the Barbary pirates years before instead of paying protection money. It went on for hundreds of years with thousands of Christian slaves.

The whole lot of them were a bunch of lying scum bags who make Somalia look like an oasis of gentility. One 18th Century observer said "mohamet is their prophet and money is their God".

_________________
I haven't figured out how to the block thingy works but if anyone alters my posts I will become really, really angry and throw monkey poop out of my cage.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reading
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:51 am 
Offline
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 14354
Reputation points: 9532
We've all heard of Project Gutenberg, but how do you access it's volumes: https://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/ so easy even I can do it.

And what if you don't know what you want to read https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/scores/top

Yes they've got The Oakdale Affair https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/363 , but you might want to read The Mucker first https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/331 it's the first in the Mucker series: Billy Byrne is a low class American born in Chicago's ghetto. He grows up a thief and a mugger. "Billy was a mucker, a hoodlum, a gangster, a thug, a tough." He is not chivalrous nor kind, and has only meager ethics - never giving evidence against a friend or leaving someone behind. He chooses a life of robbery and violence, disrespecting those who work for a living. He has a deep hatred for wealthy society. and there's a illustration that looks like us.

Good reading. :D

_________________
Merry Christmas to all


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reading
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:33 am 
Offline
Sergeant

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:41 pm
Posts: 2609
Reputation points: 4295
nelmsm wrote:
Any of our Finnish members read or know anything about this book?


I have a sh1tload of books in EPUB/Pdf form that I have yet to get into, including this one. Looking online some people seem to like it but here's one negative review, from https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=130079&start=45:

Quote:
I would not put that book to this section, since I most certainly would not recommend it. I heard about the book beforehand and expected it, but it proved to be quite a disappointment. It's not such a big deal that it contains obvious mistakes (not that uncommon) or that the names of persons involved and place-names often have typos (apparently no data checking concerning them before printing). The major issue is that author did not use Finnish sources basically at all, which while writing about Finnish political decisions and Finland fighting a war causes shall we say "interesting" effects. Apparently Lunde's doesn't have any language skills with Finnish or Swedish and therefore decided to go easy way and use only English and German language sources. As a result of this he doesn't really doesn't seem to understand Finnish politics and while he covers the operations in northern part of Finnish front which was a German responsibility rather well, his explanation of operations in Finnish - Soviet part of the front (with much larger troops and notably bigger battles) is so poor it is borderlines useless. The difference between Lunde's poor sources and best latest Finnish books that use Finnish and Soviet (plus also German when needed) archive materials as their sources is simply staggering. Anthony Beevor he certainly ain't. At best the book somewhat works as description of German - Finnish co-belligerence from German perspective, but does not succeed beyond that and shows once again that there is a need for good book (series) written about history of Continuation War in English.

Jarkko


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reading
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:50 am 
Offline
Sergeant

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:41 pm
Posts: 2609
Reputation points: 4295
Image

Vägen mot Undergången II (Into Oblivion II) by Jason D. Mark

The second part of Mark's work dealing with the German PiBtl 305 and its end in the ruins of Stalingrad. Very good. Lacks maps though and the Swedish translation is annoying. Paints a picture of gritty German resistance inside Stalingrad until the very last few days, including local counterattacks etc even well after the encirclement. Heavy focus on the PiBtl 305 and to some extent of the regiments of the 305. Infantrie-Division, so not so much of the "broad picture"...

4 strongpoints in the ruins out of 5.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reading
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:40 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 13181
Reputation points: 2401
wulfir wrote:
nelmsm wrote:
Any of our Finnish members read or know anything about this book?


I have a sh1tload of books in EPUB/Pdf form that I have yet to get into, including this one. Looking online some people seem to like it but here's one negative review, from https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=130079&start=45:

Quote:
I would not put that book to this section, since I most certainly would not recommend it. I heard about the book beforehand and expected it, but it proved to be quite a disappointment. It's not such a big deal that it contains obvious mistakes (not that uncommon) or that the names of persons involved and place-names often have typos (apparently no data checking concerning them before printing). The major issue is that author did not use Finnish sources basically at all, which while writing about Finnish political decisions and Finland fighting a war causes shall we say "interesting" effects. Apparently Lunde's doesn't have any language skills with Finnish or Swedish and therefore decided to go easy way and use only English and German language sources. As a result of this he doesn't really doesn't seem to understand Finnish politics and while he covers the operations in northern part of Finnish front which was a German responsibility rather well, his explanation of operations in Finnish - Soviet part of the front (with much larger troops and notably bigger battles) is so poor it is borderlines useless. The difference between Lunde's poor sources and best latest Finnish books that use Finnish and Soviet (plus also German when needed) archive materials as their sources is simply staggering. Anthony Beevor he certainly ain't. At best the book somewhat works as description of German - Finnish co-belligerence from German perspective, but does not succeed beyond that and shows once again that there is a need for good book (series) written about history of Continuation War in English.

Jarkko

From ignorance comes wisdom.

True. :roll:

PS. I try to get a copy. But then there are a lot of new stuff coming in Finland about the WWII; both military and political.

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group