maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Reading
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:32 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 11853
Quote:
The Forlorn – September 1, 1999
by Dave Freer (Author)
https://www.amazon.com/Forlorn-Dave-Freer/dp/0671578316
While the xenophobic alien Morkth race searches the galaxy to destroy the last of human "vermin", the lightly armed members of the only human colony must figure out how to defend themselves from the coming attack.
That's Amazon's take.
Here's mine: Open's with a 16 year old thief cornered by a bunch of baddies with murder on their mind. Then he feels his amulet turning cold, verrry cold, until shazaaam, all hell breaks loose and the wall behind him disappears and his murderers are being slaughtered by Morkth's mercs, he slips out via the missing wall and manages to hid away in his refuge. Next day there's a hue and cry city wide for him, so he slips out of the city into an arid countryside, city bred knows nothing about outside, chances of survival .0001.

Next the Princess, she's pure bitch, in fact she taught bitches how to be bitches. At the time she playing with a minister, like a cat plays with a mouse but the game is interrupted by a palace coup, she hides behind some curtains and is discovered by a Morkth Merc who signals her to stay hidden as he moves along with the search. She hide 'til dark, then tries escaping and succeeds via sewer pipes until she's dumped outside the city walls without a clue how to survive.

The Morkth Merc who saved her is one of the human's who are bred to be stupid, pure stupid and act as enforcers, he decides it's time to move on and leaves the city, gets captured by villagers who plan to hang him. He doesn't know what 'hang' means.

That's a sketch of the main cast, plenty of others roaming around.

Enjoyed.

Kindle $3.99 at Amazon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:41 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1834
wulfir wrote:
nero wrote:
And then a ton of good books that you can not read.

Some Finnish books are translated to Swedish... ;)

But I meant this: http://kansataisteli.sshs.fi/ 4282 articles, 25 509 pages. Soldiers from private to general tell their stories, Kansa Taisteli (People Fought) magazine was published 1957-1986. Everything only in Finnish. :(

A good excuse to start learning Finnish. :lol:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:02 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 11853
Way back when, following WW2 there was a great book written by an Englishman about his war experiences, a good part of it covered his being Beach Master during the Brits landed on D-Day.

Since then I've read many times to be careful about books of personal experiences.

So with the advent of the WWW I've tried finding him listed in the lists of D Day Beach Masters, haven't found him yet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:29 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
The risk in "my experience" type accounts is that people generalize from those accounts, when: (1) those accounts are limited by the person's experience and memory... usually, what they think they saw among enemy forces did not actually happen, and, (2) one or two such accounts becomes the "normative" tale, and (3) the person writing the account is also trying to "coach the referee" with respect to historical judgment.

I usually try to start with the big picture histories and then work into the personal bios. So I read (and am now rereading) the David Glantz Stalingrad "trilogy" (which is really four huge volumes plus a separate appendix) before I read "Enemy at the Gates."

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:29 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 9960
David Chandler's Campaigns of Napoleon is available on Amazon for the Kindle for $1.99. Not sure how the maps will come across but I'll use my tablet to look at those.

https://www.amazon.com/Campaigns-Napole ... d+chandler

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:29 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
nelmsm wrote:
David Chandler's Campaigns of Napoleon is available on Amazon for the Kindle for $1.99. Not sure how the maps will come across but I'll use my tablet to look at those.

I looked at the link.

It's not saying $1.99

Quote:
The Campaigns of Napoleon: The Mind and Method of History's Greatest Soldier Kindle Edition
by David G. Chandler (Author)
4.7 out of 5 stars 73 customer reviews
#1 Best Sellerin History of France
See all 12 formats and editions
Kindle
$64.99

Read with Our Free App

Hardcover
$75.23
Rent from $39.62
35 Used from $50.00
8 New from $75.23
1 Collectible from $150.00

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:32 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14720
Finally getting back to "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming" Third Edition by Michael Dawson.

Bought that one back in 2015 or 2016 when I first started studying programming. Got about 10 pages in, got discouraged cause it was like reading a foreign language.

Had an occasion recently where I needed a book to read while I sat and waited so I grabbed that one. In the span of three or four hours I zipped through the first 100 pages with complete comprehension, and generally good recall. That was just about the most encouraging thing I've had happen in years.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:37 pm 
Staff Sergeant

chijohnaok wrote:
nelmsm wrote:

I looked at the link.

It's not saying $1.99

Quote:
The Campaigns of Napoleon: The Mind and Method of History's Greatest Soldier Kindle Edition
by David G. Chandler (Author)
4.7 out of 5 stars 73 customer reviews
#1 Best Sellerin History of France
See all 12 formats and editions
Kindle
$64.99

Read with Our Free App

Hardcover
$75.23
Rent from $39.62
35 Used from $50.00
8 New from $75.23
1 Collectible from $150.00

Wow that changed fast. I picked it up yesterday for the $1.99 and it was showing that when I posted the link. Someone made a mistake and it was corrected or the sale ended as I posted it. Sorry I didn't get it posted last night.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
No worries Nelms.

I might have bought and read it at $1.99

For $64.99....um....no

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:55 pm 
Staff Sergeant

chijohnaok wrote:
No worries Nelms.

I might have bought and read it at $1.99

For $64.99....um....no

Same here. I'd be in Napoleon's tomb with him if the wife saw I paid $64 for a book.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next