maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Reading
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:48 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 12978
Read this long ago

Pretty good.

Based on a true incident. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:15 am 
buck private

Quote:
Rogues in the House
by
Robert E. Howard

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0600781h.html
If for no other reason check out the illustration.
Quote:
"When did a priest keep an oath?” complained Conan, comprehending the trend of the conversation. “Let me cut his throat; I want to see what color his blood is. They say in the Maze that his heart is black, so his blood must be black too..."
— Robert E. Howard, "Rogues in the House"

The story takes place in an unnamed city-state between Zamora and Corinthia during an apparent power struggle between two powerful leaders: Murilo, an aristocrat, and Nabonidus, the "Red Priest," a clergyman with a strong power base. After he is delivered a subtle threat by Nabonidus, Murilo learns of Conan's reputation as a mercenary and turns to him for help.
(http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0600781h.html)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:52 pm 
buck private

A short tale:
Quote:
A Day in the Life of a Janitor
Posted on June 5, 2018 by Robin Phillips

Last week I decided to apply for a cleaning job someone told me about. Given that my work as a writer has recently slowed down, I was eager at the prospect of some extra income.

Cleaning might be just the right sort of part-time job for me, I thought, since I could listen to audio books and courses while I worked. It would essentially mean that I could be paid to do the thing I loved most of all: listen to courses and audio books!

Thus it was that last Saturday I excitedly made my way to a spot in downtown Coeur d’Alene where I had arranged to be interviewed for a cleaning job. All I had been told is that I should meet a man named Igor, who organized janitorial crews for companies and had been having difficulty finding workers for one of his corporate clients.

As I approached the place I was supposed to rendezvous with Igor, my heart sank: it was in the worst part of town—the part of Coeur d’Alene where respectable people never venture. Coeur d’Alene has a law against loitering, but in this area the law was apparently not being enforced. A crowd of desolates and drunks eyed me suspiciously as I approach Igor’s office.

Continue reading → http://www.salvomag.com/unpragmatic-tho ... #more-4832

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:46 am 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 10085
Reading "A Time for Trumpets" on the Battle of the Bulge. I had read this a long time ago but picked it up cheap on the Kindle so giving it another go. Very good read in my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:45 am 
buck private

nelmsm wrote:
Reading "A Time for Trumpets" on the Battle of the Bulge. I had read this a long time ago but picked it up cheap on the Kindle so giving it another go. Very good read in my opinion.
Read it long ago, your right, it's good, very good.

Now on to something evil:
Quote:
13 Steps to Evil: How to Craft Superbad Villains
by Sacha Black (Goodreads Author)

D. Peach's review
Jun 01, 2017
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2 ... iew_page=1

Sacha Black makes a great point in the opening of this book - that a villain is at least as important as the hero and rarely gets an equivalent amount of attention as a book is crafted. And we all love a great villain, whether we know it or not, because a great villain makes our hero miserable, which promises a satisfying payoff when the hero prevails!

Black is thorough, elaborating on 13 different factors related specifically to villain development, though many of the points, including those covering motivation, conflict, and authenticity, apply to all characters. Villain-specific chapters address such things as female villains, cliches, the villain psyche, and anti-heroes. There is a thoughtful chapter on mental health challenges in relation to building a villain's profile.

In general, Black's presentation is a hoot, witty and conversational, and a joy to read. The book is well-organized with summaries at the end of each chapter and references and appendices in the back. Once read, the book can easily serve as an ongoing resource. 13 Steps to Evil is a must-read for new writers and has some good reminders/tips for seasoned writers as well.
It gets 4 to 5 stars from women readers on Amazon. Maybe us lonely guys need to read and see what women wants in a man.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14427
https://www.amazon.com/Russian-Origins-First-World-War/dp/0674072332/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1404922201&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Russian+Origins+of+the+First+World+War

Highly recommended ... and very different take on the "who caused WWI?" debate ... and the Russian foreign minsiter Sazonov plays center stage. Feeling stomped on, even duped by his peers during the earlier Balkan crisis, he gets his "revenge" in 1914 and changes the world. A fascinating story and again quite in opposition to the conventional wisdom that "The Krauts Did It". Certainly everyone was playing but Sazonov was the quarterback, even if probably unwittingly, at least in terms of the final result.

I first read about this idea in Massie's Dreadnought ... but it is worth reading Sean McMeekin's book directly to get the full story. I couldn't put it down.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:54 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14427
A great, short, but very comprehensive look at the month between Sarajevo and the start of the fighting, is:

https://www.amazon.com/July-1914-Countdown-Sean-McMeekin-ebook/dp/B00HTQ31FY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1530449237&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=July+1914+mckeen

McKeenin weaves in all the players in Austria, Serbia, Russia, France, Germany and Britain, and even includes their backgrounds and motivations. A fast and great read and only $12 on Kindle.

McKeein, Scott, "July 1914 - Countdown to War", Basic Books, 1913.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:01 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 5295
nelmsm wrote:

You might be be interested in Company Commander. Deals with MacDonald's time leading an infantry company just before the Bulge and after. Not too long of a read, but a masterpiece...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1209
wulfir wrote:
nelmsm wrote:

You might be be interested in Company Commander. Deals with MacDonald's time leading an infantry company just before the Bulge and after. Not too long of a read, but a masterpiece...

Company Commander is good book, a good read.

And can also warmly recommend three other books: By Tank into Normandy by Stuart Hills, Recon Scout by Fred H. Salter and Parachute Infantry by David Kenyon Webster.

All worth reading.

And then a ton of good books that you can not read. :roll:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:58 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 5295
nero wrote:
And then a ton of good books that you can not read.

Some Finnish books are translated to Swedish... ;)

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next