maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: Reading
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:34 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 3428
Since July 1914 - oops 2014 - I have been following the Great War week by week on the Great War channel on Youtube.

Hence I found a book: The Fall of the Ottomans 1914 - 1920.

Explains why Islam is crap.

Explains why the Ottomans fell.

Everybody wanted independance from the Ottomans. Everybody.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:04 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15259
Joe wrote:
Since July 1914 - oops 2014 - I have been following the Great War week by week on the Great War channel on Youtube.

Hence I found a book: The Fall of the Ottomans 1914 - 1920.

Explains why Islam is crap.

Explains why the Ottomans fell.

Everybody wanted independance from the Ottomans. Everybody.

I have not read the book but I suspect that even some Turks wanted independence from the Ottomans. ;-)

PS That book is available at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PWX7S96/re ... TF8&btkr=1

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:57 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 8782
Just downloaded this at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/9069

Quote:
Dane Coolidge, The Texican (1911)

This early cowboy western is a rollicking political satire, the likes of which a reader would find difficult to duplicate in a western novel today. The Texican of the title is a freelance cattle rustler, Pecos Dalhart, who fetches up in Arizona, where he gets involved in a feud between two rival cattlemen, Ike Crittendon and John Upton.

Plot and character. Crittendon hires Pecos to alter the brands on any of Upton’s cattle he finds on the range. Meanwhile, the local sheriff, Boone Morgan, is alert to any signs of cattle theft, and when Crittendon falsely accuses Pecos of stealing a cow, he gets hauled in to the county jail, to await trial.

Pecos draws his pistol
Pecos, as Dane Coolidge describes him, was “born a Democrat and taught to love whiskey and hate Mexicans.” However, he has begun reading an anti-capitalist newspaper, The Voice of Reason, which has opened his eyes to the corrupt law enforcement system used by the rich to oppress the poor. Sheriff Morgan soon learns he has incarcerated an outspoken advocate of revolution.

Cracking heads, Pecos immediately overturns Morgan’s use of a prisoner-run kangaroo court for maintaining order in the jail. Joined by a friend and fellow revolutionary, Angevine “Babe” Thorne (jailed for drunk and disorderly), and winning the respect and protection of the Mexican prisoners, Pecos takes charge behind bars. He is soon getting preferred treatment from Hung Wo, provider of the jail’s meal service.
Read more »
http://buddiesinthesaddle.blogspot.com/ ... .html#more

Not often you get a political saga in a hundred year old western, next on my read list.

The man (Ron Scheer) who managed 'Buddies in the Saddle' died of a liver cancer a couple of years ago. He last post maintained the blog up to the end with remarks of his problems with the cancer.

Was a fan of his.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:14 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 8782
Got side tracked, will read 'The Texican' after i Listen to 'Citizen of the Galaxy' at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N1ME5mXWBU

It's a 10 hour audio that's sort of timely:
Quote:
You Are Here: Home → 2016 → August → Heinlein Rereads: Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert A Heinlein
Heinlein Rereads: Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert A Heinlein
Mark Yon August 27, 2016 0 Comment

Citizen of the Galaxy
It begins with a slave auction… and ends up as a revolution.

Here’s the latest reread of Heinlein’s works, as Mark continues his intermittent re-read of Robert Heinlein’s novels through the Virginia Edition series.

With the latest juvenile in the series (after Time for the Stars) we’re back to that now-common Heinlein bildungsroman. Citizen is a tale that begins with a relatively uneducated young man and shows that with a suitable education, administered through an appropriate mentor, good can make a difference.

The plot of the book is in three main parts. In the first, a boy we later know as Thorby is bought and brought up by a crippled beggar, Baslim. Despite Baslim’s disabilities, Thorby is given an education in life that enables him to make progress.

This leads to the second part of the plot, where Thorby is smuggled onto a spaceship as a favour to Baslim and is accepted as part of the Free Traders. This is, at first glance, typical old-school Heinlein. Whilst with the Free Traders in space Thorby is given a broader education. Much of this is adapting to new cultures and lifestyles as well as being trained as a fire controlman, until Baslim’s debt is repaid and Thorby is handed over to the military.

The final section of the story is when Thorby, now a young adult, makes good on his promises to his mentor. His identity is revealed and Thorby takes on the mighty legal departments of Earth.
(Continued)
https://www.sffworld.com/2016/08/citize ... -heinlein/
One of the items covered in the review was Heinlein's problem with the juvenile series was: “The kid’s books worry me too much. Each one means four months of chronic insomnia and physical debilitation simply because I am so acutely conscious that so many censors stand between me and my readers.” the problem was a Miss Alice Dalgleish who wouldn't let any hint of adult fiction. Heinlein has his revenge at the end of this book, the hero is adult by then and Heinlein has him in a girlie bar, drinking. :shock: According to the reviewer.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22