maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Racism or reality?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:17 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 437
Kun puista pitäisi puhua, lillukanvarsista jaaritellaan. :roll:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:29 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16053
chijohnaok wrote:
Yes, I agree that Pool is correct.

And I think that this identitarian racism has much further reach than just the social science departments.
I would agree that identitarian racism is perhaps anchored in social science departments, but these anti-Asian admission standards are not just limited to the social science departments, rather they are being used in university admissions departments to evaluate applicants. For students applying as undergraduates, this would impact them university wide, and the same sort of anti-Asian admission standards have also been noticed in admissions to law schools, and other post graduate schools.

True enough. That said, it is clear that admissions policies are being guided by social science departments and humanities rather than by, for example, engineering programs. Yes, engineering programs want more minorities and women because the optics are good, but at the end of the day their work is judged on the scientific merit rather than the political optics. In contrast, the social sciences are largely so far removed from "science" or even western enlightenment rationalism that the only metric is political optics, both for their scholarship and for their public talking points vis a vis policy.

That is a problem for what now seems to be "old school" progressives like me. The whole point of ending discrimination was to treat everyone fairly -- equal treatment under the law -- and, in the doing, return policy and knowledge making to the business of evaluating claims based on facts and logic... not based on the ethnicity or religion of the speaker.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:39 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
nero wrote:

Google translate:
Quote:
When the trees are supposed to be spoken, the lillukanvars will be twisted.

You might think that you are being clever by posting shit in Finnish, but its essentially meaningless to most readers on this board.
You're just wasting your time.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

It's only fair. We post stuff in English and Sneero doesn't read a word of that either.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:45 pm 
Sergeant Major

mdiehl wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:
Yes, I agree that Pool is correct.

And I think that this identitarian racism has much further reach than just the social science departments.
I would agree that identitarian racism is perhaps anchored in social science departments, but these anti-Asian admission standards are not just limited to the social science departments, rather they are being used in university admissions departments to evaluate applicants. For students applying as undergraduates, this would impact them university wide, and the same sort of anti-Asian admission standards have also been noticed in admissions to law schools, and other post graduate schools.

True enough. That said, it is clear that admissions policies are being guided by social science departments and humanities rather than by, for example, engineering programs. Yes, engineering programs want more minorities and women because the optics are good, but at the end of the day their work is judged on the scientific merit rather than the political optics. In contrast, the social sciences are largely so far removed from "science" or even western enlightenment rationalism that the only metric is political optics, both for their scholarship and for their public talking points vis a vis policy.

That is a problem for what now seems to be "old school" progressives like me. The whole point of ending discrimination was to treat everyone fairly -- equal treatment under the law -- and, in the doing, return policy and knowledge making to the business of evaluating claims based on facts and logic... not based on the ethnicity or religion of the speaker.

You have too much Jordan Peterson in you. And I can recommend Julius Evola, a real traditionalist. I am certain that you'd like his ideas. ;)

But then is the fact that there is racism in the US. Fakt Jo.

And a vast majority of it is against the minorities. The legend oppressed white majority is just a legend. :roll:

But then I don't see any of affirmative action or other kind of favoritism as a permanent solution. All kind of quota systems suck.

No system is perfect, there are always problems to solve. ;)

So it goes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

chijohnaok wrote:
nero wrote:

Google translate:
Quote:
When the trees are supposed to be spoken, the lillukanvars will be twisted.

You might think that you are being clever by posting shit in Finnish, but its essentially meaningless to most readers on this board.
You're just wasting your time.

:lol:

This is like giving sermons in Latin to Ostrogoths.

Intentional. :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:33 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:
mdiehl wrote:

You have too much Jordan Peterson in you. And I can recommend Julius Evola, a real traditionalist. I am certain that you'd like his ideas. ;)

But then is the fact that there is racism in the US. Fakt Jo.

And a vast majority of it is against the minorities. The legend oppressed white majority is just a legend. :roll:

But then I don't see any of affirmative action or other kind of favoritism as a permanent solution. All kind of quota systems suck.

No system is perfect, there are always problems to solve. ;)

So it goes.

Yes, there has been discrimination, and thankfully, that discrimination is much less today than it was 40 yrs ago.

I agree that quota-based systems suck.

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin, but by the content of their character.”

In the last decade or so that dream has become more distant, rather than closer to reality.
Leftist/progressives are all about identity politics today:

---The quota system is firmly embedded at universities and is spreading to other sectors as well.

---Hollywood cries when this or that race/ethnic group/gender identity is not front and center for everything going on.

---"Diversity" is pushed over profitability (as we have seen with the video game sector)

---Chant "Black lives matter" and you are seen as virtuous. Chant "All lives matter" (as a reflection of the color blind society that MLK was dreaming of) and you are branded a racist.

---the yellow man (Asians) used to be considered a minority, but now some universities require them to score substantially HIGHER than blacks, Hispanics AND whites in order to gain admittance.
And its not limited to universities:
Quote:
Mayor Bill de Blasio announced last weekend that he wants to scrap the test that governs admission to eight specialized high schools including Stuyvesant High School and the Bronx High School of Science, calling the test "a roadblock to justice, progress and academic excellence."

Fewer than 10 percent of students who score well enough to gain admission to the schools are black or Latino, despite the fact that those two groups make up two-thirds of the city's 1 million public school students.

"It's not fair. It's not inclusive. It's not open to all," de Blasio said.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/P ... 33931.html

Elite high schools are not supposed to accept everyone. They have entrance exams for a reason, to bring the best and the brightest to those schools.
EVERYONE has an opportunity to take the entrance exams. Whether they score well enough to gain admittance is an entirely different matter.

Quote:
Tough entrance standards, a rigorous curriculum and a reputation for graduating some of the world's top scholars have made the city's exam schools highly sought after among high-performing students.

The Bronx High School of Science, alone, has graduated eight Nobel Prize winners. Stuyvesant High has had four.

That standard of excellence, and those sorts of results, will not continue if the schools stop taking the best and brightest.

------------
And back to the Tim Pool video, he has reason to gripe.
Pool is of mixed race, Asian (Korean) and white.
He is criticizing the school requirements that Asian students must score HIGHER than everyone else in order to gain admittance to some universities.

----

PS: Never heard of Julius Evola before.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

ALL racial/ethnic quota systems are racist.

I would say that "white" racists are less common as a proportion of population than ethnic minority racists. But that of course is entirely subjective. It may be that all the "white" people I know are not racists and that half the ethnic minorities I know are overt racists, yet that could be a statistical anomaly.

Still. That is my experience. I knew a white racist (his name was Jeff) when I was a graduate student. Jeff was my roommate first year grad school. I used to pay one of his pals (a BIG guy named Wade, who was an athletics training and PD management fellow) money to hit Jeff really hard in the shoulder whenever Jeff said something racist. It got to the point where all I had to do was to hold a quarter in the air and Jeff would flinch and shrink away from Wade.

The degree of racism directed against white people is unclear. There is a ton of it in academic circles. So far it seems not to have caught on in matters of actual policy, but who knows what may happen. There are enough lunatics touting the "hate whitey" party-line that the extremes are polarizing.

I have only once had someone TRY to run me over with an automobile while I was in a crosswalk. In Louisville KY. The driver was black.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:02 pm 
Sergeant Major

A 19 yr old African-American Republican managed to defeat a career Democrat politician to be elected to the West Virginia State legislature.
West Virginia is one of the whitest states in the US, with only about 3.4% of the population being African-American.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019 ... -pro-wall/

Quote:
America’s Youngest Black Legislator Caleb Hanna: Pro-Life, Pro-God, and Pro-Wall

Caleb Hanna was sworn into the West Virginia legislature last month, making the staunchly pro-life lawmaker America’s youngest black legislator.

“I’m proudly a Christian conservative and was raised on the belief that success is built with hard work, commitment and dedication – West Virginia values that continue to guide me today,” Caleb Hanna said last May during his campaign.

“I support the WV Pro-Life movement and have been endorsed in the Republican Primary by West Virginians for Life. I also fully support the 2nd Amendment and our right to bear arms,” the young lawmaker said. “I will be a passionate, effective, and conservative fighter for limited government, economic growth, and the Constitution.”

Elected when he was just 19, Hanna easily defeated his Democratic opponent, incumbent Dana L. Lynch.

Hanna also has his eye on national politics.

“Illegal Immigration costs American taxpayers billions of dollars! Contact Sen. Manchins office and tell him to work for the wall!” Hanna said of Senator Manchin (D-WV) last week.

While fulfilling a campaign promise to bring “A New Era of Leadership to West Virginia government,” Hanna will also pursue an economics degree at West Virginia State University.

“I always told myself, when I had the chance, I would try to make a difference and I would do something myself,” Hanna said after winning the election. “The incumbent that I ran against (Dana Lynch, D-Nicholas), he had been county assessor for 30-some years. He was in the House of Delegates for three terms. He was a career politician, and, frankly, he was just there to collect a paycheck…he never passed a piece of legislation that he sponsored.”

“At a time when politics has become unhinged, I’ll be a voice of reason, and I won’t forget who I represent: the people of West Virginia,” Hanna said. “Thanks a million, God bless, and hope to see you around!”

Follow Jerome Hudson on Twitter @jeromeehudson

Let's also not forget that WV used to have a US Senator that was a former KKK member.....

How can something like that happen in a country as racists as the United States is at least according to some?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:42 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 13478
Quote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 - 5:10 pm EST
Youngest black legislator in US is pro-life and pro-God
Calvin Freiburger
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/caleb ... nd-pro-god
2018 midterm elections, 2018 midterms, abortion, caleb hanna, gop, repbulicans, republican party, west virginia, west virginia house of delegates

WEST VIRGINIA, January 10, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) – Among the new lawmakers beginning their political careers this month is Caleb Hanna, who is making history as the nation’s youngest black legislator, as well as a young man who says faith and the right to life are central to his worldview.

While still an 18-year-old high school senior, Hanna launched a bid for the Republican nomination to represent West Virginia’s 44th district in the House of Delegates, declaring himself “proudly a Christian conservative.” He defeated Elijah Karnes in the GOP primary with 72.9 percent of the vote, and went on to oust incumbent Democrat Del. Dana Lynch with 60.3 percent of the vote.

“I support the WV Pro-Life movement” and “will be a passionate, effective, and conservative fighter for limited government, economic growth, and the Constitution,” he promised in his introductory statement. On his campaign website, he also identifies as an opponent of Common Core.

During the campaign Hanna received the primary endorsement of West Virginians for Life, which hailed his “commitment to the pro-life cause, especially to the unborn, the elderly and those with disabilities,” as well an endorsement by the Family Policy Council of West Virginia.

In a profile by the Charleston Gazette-Mail, Hanna explains that he was first inspired to consider a political career as a third-grader watching another charismatic and relatively youthful black man, Barack Obama, rise to the presidency. “I thought, ‘I can do that,’” he recalls, but notes he was also influenced by the impact of Obama’s policies on his own family. “My dad got laid off in the mines.”

Another major influence is his faith; Hanna is a member of Little Laurel Baptist Church and was active in Richwood High School’s Christian group YoungLife.

“God, guns, and babies, that pretty much sums up my political philosophy,” he says. Hanna added that the national Democrat Party is incompatible with his values on the right to life and other issues.

West Virginia pro-lifers won another significant victory last November when voters approved a ballot initiative clarifying that the state Constitution contains no “right” to abortion.

Another challenge facing Hanna will be to balance public service with higher education. Hanna is pursuing an economics degree from West Virginia State University, and hopes to go on to law school from there. He told the Gazette-Mail he’s currently working with his university adviser to arrange his classes around legislative sessions.
"God, Guns, and Babies." Music to my ears.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10