maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: BREXIT!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:36 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13177
If there were triggering circumstances ... the resident could ask the congress for "clarifications" on US involvement in such a war. If the congress actually declared war .. using those words ... I think the resident would have to go to war ... or resign. But if congress does not declare war using those words ... the resident could continue to ask for additional "clarifications" after each bill passed by the congress ... in other words ... short of a declaration of war ... using those words ... the resident could stall.

Personally were I ever resident, I would never go to war without a declaration of war from congress using those words. It is congresses job to declare war ... they need to do it if they want a war.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:49 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
jack t ripper wrote:
I tried to look up what is the actual mechanism for a NATO withdrawal. I can't find any reference. Presumably, as this treaty has been around for a while...the US Senate has likely ratified the treaty like it says in the Constitution. :lol:

The question I have then is...can the President order a withdrawal from the treaty. I doubt it. He would have broad authority to order troop redeployments but I wonder about actually abrogating the treaty.

I would offer this as an example (from an external perspective) how a withdrawal works:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO#French_withdrawal

Article 13 of the North Atlantic Treaty says this:

Quote:
Article 13
After the Treaty has been in force for twenty years, any Party may cease to be a Party one year after its notice of denunciation has been given to the Government of the United States of America, which will inform the Governments of the other Parties of the deposit of each notice of denunciation.

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/of ... _17120.htm

So I suppose the Government of the United States of America would notify itself of its notice of denunciation, and then inform the other treaty members of same. :lol:

As for how the process for withdrawal from a treaty works internally (within the USA), I am not sure...

I did find this:
JOURNAL ARTICLE
Exiting Treaties
Laurence R. Helfer
Virginia Law Review
Vol. 91, No. 7 (Nov., 2005), pp. 1579-1648
Published by: Virginia Law Review
Stable URL: https://www.jstor.org/stable/3649442

If you register for the site you will have a limited number of articles that you can access.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:13 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4670
mdiehl wrote:
Walk away from the NATO summit blathering about success when nothing has changed.

Depends on what purpose Trump actually had going into the NATO meeting. If it is about scoring points in they eyes of his followers he probably did well...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:26 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 17032
Attachment:
1531424735190.jpg
1531424735190.jpg [ 78.52 KiB | Viewed 38 times ]

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:18 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1862
wulfir wrote:
it is about scoring points in they eyes of his followers he probably did well...

Not his followers, but his handler. Trump will report all next Monday in Helsinki. :twisted:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:41 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:
wulfir wrote:
it is about scoring points in they eyes of his followers he probably did well...

Not his followers, but his handler. Trump will report all next Monday in Helsinki. :twisted:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:50 pm 
Sergeant Major

How is complaining about a Russian gas project conciliatory toward the Russians?

Nero, do you listen to yourself? You sound like an idiot. I mean that in a good way, of course.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:52 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1862
jack t ripper wrote:
How is complaining about a Russian gas project conciliatory toward the Russians?

Nero, do you listen to yourself? You sound like an idiot. I mean that in a good way, of course.

Maskirovka.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:
jack t ripper wrote:

Maskirovka.

Right..so Trump has been President for 18 months. The term is 48 months and you have the pressures of a campaign and if you don't win a second term then you have at least 3 months as a lame duck...so when, exactly, does the secret payback begin?

The greatest benefit to Russia has been the Mueller investigation and the conspiracy to overturn an election.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:31 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4670
Anthropoid wrote:
Isn't that what any "good deal" is all about?

Quote:
Donald Trump has said the UK will "probably not" get a trade deal with the US, if the prime minister's Brexit plan goes ahead.

He told The Sun the PM's plan would "probably kill the deal" as it would mean the US "would be dealing with the European Union" instead of with the UK.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44815558

Good deals, coming right up... :P

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next