maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: SOW MP this weekend
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:52 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9173
I seem to have everything up and running though I'm sure I'll be very rusty.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:59 am 
First Sergeant

However, I'm not having any luck with what I would think is my "Power Lobby" password . . .

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:18 pm 
First Sergeant

I have the mods installed and application is running. But I'm not finding my old passwords to log in to the Power Lobby. I suspect it is because I haven't "registered" SOW at Matrix or NorbSoft? I do still have my Norbsoft login so I can post there and ask.

But by the time I actually get logged in, you guys will have wasted an hour or so.

I say go ahead and play without me today. I'm at least 95% of the way there with getting back to this game. I'll try to get my logging in and also do a bit of brushing up on the controls before next weekend.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:59 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 4024
Major fight today saw non stop fighting almost from the start with all 3 of our Corps engaged. Jackson Corps lived up to it's reputation by pushing hard all game long and slowly grinding Hancock down. We ended the game once the battle was assured.

My fight started on the march to my selected deployment grounds, my lead div almost slammed headlong into a reb div. I had to ride hard and fast to try and prevent the coming scrum from hell. Chi moved north to help me out, and just as we started rolling the reb flanks in the north, Steve got hit by all of Jackson's 3 divisions almost at once. Chi had to send a div south to assist, I managed to rest my lead div and then had to send them south also. No sooner did Chi's attacking div push across my lines did another div come swarming over the hills putting our tired guys to flight. Chi had to ride hard north to rally his troops, while I massed my div in the north and all my arty onto a small hilltop to form a last stand.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:38 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13382
It was challenging.

I managed to get one division (Hooker) to support 2ndAcr in the north. Had arty up tall hillside shelling the Rebs below. And then I pushed infantry down towards the Reb left in support of 2nd.

I Kearney was on Hooker's left and slightly rear in support. When Hancock started calling for support I dispatched one of Kearney's brigades to slide northwards hidden behind a ridge from the Rebs. When the brigades units were ready I sent them over the hill and they slammed into the Reb right. There was a crapload of Rebs though and I soon deployed another of Kearney's brigades to Hancock's left and another towards the center to support.

Fresh Rebs seemed to keep pouring in at both areas and I had to ride back and forth so much from one of my divisions to the other that I swear I got saddle sores.

In Hooker's area of battle I had 2 brigades that had pushed ahead to the north and become separated from the rest of Hooker's and 2ndAcr's troops. They were low on ammo (some down to 5 rounds left), tired and morale was wavering. A Reb inf regiment had marched down a road and now was threatning to cut off the isolated units. Worse yet, in all my riding back and forth I had lost track of both my ammo wagons and had no clue where they were. I managed to tc each of the regiments that were isolated and sent them marching to where one of 2ndAcr's ammo wagons was sitting. I managed to get them all back and reloaded. They sat there a while rallying and getting a breather.

Back on Hooker's ridge I had at least 2 inf regiments that had zero ammunition left and also 3 arty batteries that were running low on ammo. In my riding back and forth I finally spotted one of my ammo wagons and sent them to Hooker's position to start reloading the units that were out/low.

Kearney's units on the left were starting to break and 2nd managed so send some of his units in to support. I rode back over and noticed that there were more Rebs gathering in the back as if they were going to make a move. I shifted the 2nd NY (as sharpshooting unit) from Hooker's area to what was going on on the where Kearney, 2nd and Hancock. I got the sharpshooters set up and soon they were blazing away at 4 diff Reb inf regiments. Soon 2 of the Reb regiments were running.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:45 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3360
One of the best and most challenging MPs since I joined this group early this year.

For the first time in a while, our 3 corps started the battle within cooperative distance. 2nd ordered us to advance to a north/south ridge with a road running along the crest in that direction. I was to deploy on the ridge facing south east with 2nd on my left/north, Chi on my right/south. All was going according to plan until 2nd got slammed in the north. Then the "fog of war" moved in. 2nd called for help. The magic of the fog on communications had Chi continue his advance in column north on the ridge top road passing directly through my divisions as they deployed on the ridge top facing southeast as a reb division appeared from that direction. I had Sedgewick and Slocum deployed to defend the ridge and were handling the reb attack head on.

Then Jackson arrived. I had been monitoring a reb force south of my position, but they appeared to be stationary or moving slowly. Leave it to the MP Jackson to bring the same aggressiveness as the historical figure. No hesitation, he advanced north up the same road as recently utilized by Chi, deployed 3 regiments at about 150 yards, and the game for control of the ridge was on. I positioned a reserve brigade facing his lead units. His boys began to deploy off the ridge pressuring my right. I was able to position a second reserve brigade to a series of small hills and woods at right angle to the ridge- good defensive positions to hold off the reb attempts to extend around the right flank. My corp held against repeated assaults but finally realized I needed help. Chi to the rescue. He send a couple brigades south and advanced to reinforce my left on the ridge. This allowed me to move some of my boys to my right as the rebs kept extending.

We held for some time, but the rebs just kept on coming. My boys were new feeling the effects of casualties (my corp lost 12,000, although we inflicted 19,000) and fatigue was now a serious factor. Chi's boys finally began to waver from the two direction attack on the ridge. We called for help and 2nd responded with a couple brigades that reinforced Chi's boys just as they were ready to fall back. From that point we were able to hang on until battle end, which was good for me. I finally had effective troops available at the end of a battle.

Great fun, but I'll let someone else handle Jackson next time.

Pics:

First is looking from Jackson's advance north up the road on the ridge top. A good view of the ridge top contested all day on the right of our position.

Second is Jackson's boys advancing out of the woods on the ridge top, a sight we got used to seeing all day long in that area of the battle.

Attachments:
20140824_144348 (800x600).jpg
20140824_144348 (800x600).jpg [ 327.73 KiB | Viewed 1541 times ]
20140824_144108 (800x600).jpg
20140824_144108 (800x600).jpg [ 351.16 KiB | Viewed 1541 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:29 pm 
Corporal

For Chi and 2nd,

I checked the stats for my artillery batteries as they played a huge part throughout the MP. Check out these numbers:

Sedgewicke's Division, Grimm's Battery: 1576 points, inflicted 1,361 casualties
Slocum's Division, Snow's Battery: 1431 points, inflicted 1159 casualties

Grimm was in the middle of the ridge defensive line facing the open southeast throughout the battle. Snow was on the small hill that anchored the extreme right along with Wolcott's Battery (1166 points, inflict 803 casualties). The highest totals I have seen in my limited experience. Good ground for artillery pays off.

Slocum's Division:
Snow's Battery

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:27 pm 
Sergeant Major

Placement can be very important. Sometime things work out (good ground, sufficient time to place arty batteries and inf, Rebs being "cooperative" in how they attack, etc.) and sometimes they do not (such as when your guns get overrun or your gunners get shot up).

Those number you cited are good.

I think I might have racked up similar numbers in the past but can't be certain.

I think some key things that can work to the arty's benefit include:
---good ground: elevated over the approaching enemy-this can give you height bonus
---good defensive ground: shooting from slightly inside woods, behind a fence or wall, etc
---having your inf in front of guns so as to keep the closest Rebs from strictly keying their gunfire on your arty---also your inf shooting at them so as to keep the enemy's "heads down"
---Having your guns within canister range

The risk with having your guns too close is that the Rebs can overrun them (either if you have no inf cover or your inf is routed).

It's a challenge to make sure your arty is close enough to have its fullest effect on the enemy but not too close so that they get shot or overrun.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

SOW this weekend anyone?

Last week 2ndACR pulled out a new map that we had not seen before.

It was good.

Anyone this weekend gents?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:16 pm 
Corporal

Yup, I'm good for Sunday definite. Saturday I won't know until tomorrow morning. What map you guys use?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next