Open all night
It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SOW MP
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:51 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3360
Missed the Sunday matinee this week. Definitely in for next week.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: SOW MP
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:13 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 4024
Yeah we fought 2 battles today. First was saw Chi slaughtered defending a ridge as both Rebel Corps slammed into him, I fought the battle with my Corps split on both sides of the ridge. We ended that battle when Chi had less than 2-3,000 troops left and the Rebs were pushing and breaking us hard. This battle was the usual "they just kept coming, a never ending sea of grey".

Second battle was a let down as I got called out to run some calls. I had my Corps deployed on a east to west frontage, with Chi deployed in south to north frontage linked with my eastern division. I had 3 divisions deployed in both battles with Chi fielding 2 divisions but each had 4 infantry brigades. A solo Reb div advance from east to west right under the guns of my entire Corps arty and I wracked up like 800 kills for now losses, then suddenly they turned and came boiling over a ridge on my far west division. That division managed to hold the line and butcher the Reb division. We spotted a reb div to the far east so that anchored my eastern div as I was worried about it, another Reb div appeared to my rear center div so I had to redeploy that div, Chi moved a div off his ridge as the center div reached my lines and between us we butchered that one. As the center div fight was entering the final phase, another Reb div appeared on Chi's north flank and began hammering him, as he re-deployed, my western div was being pushed again by Rebel forces.

First battle we had 16 brigades of infantry to the Reb's 25. Second battle saw us with 18 versus 25. About even in arty.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: SOW MP
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13043
The first battle was rough. I had lined up along the top of a ridge---only to see Reb Corps Commander T. Jackson moving perpendicular at my left along the top of the ridge. I wheeled one division (Kearney) 90 degrees to face him and was bringing my other division (Hooker) up behind Kearney for support. Kearney was holding his own when I noticed a fresh Reb division coming from my 9 o'clock (left) so I had to turn Hooker's troops to face the new threat. Kearney was struggling but started losing inf regiments. I pushed Hooker's sharpshooting unit (2nd NY) up on top to assist Kearney, and a few additional inf regiments to assist. Soon the newly thrown in regiments were worn down. The gig was finally up when a Reb inf regiment started to charge up the slope at my 2nd NY and they started charging down right at them. Melee ensued and the 2nd NY were decimated and surrendered. My corps was left with about 2/3 of my arty and a total of 2 or 3 inf regiments from both my 2 divisions.

The second battle started off with my enlarged 2 division corp almost set along a familiar ridge we have battled on before. I deployed my 2 divisions along the ridge running from northeast to southwest. I then went scouting south to the edge of the map and then westwards along a road. As 2nd Acr described, he was moving his troops down towards my position. I eventually spotted a Reb division southwest of my corps' position--they were just sitting there facing north. 2ndAcr eventually scouted down towards their north. Just as his troops were arriving I heard arty fire coming from the area of my troops. I galloped back in time to spot a Reb division moving in a southwesterly direction within arty range of one of my batteries. I rode close to scout them out. They just passed, being shelled in the process. Then a Reb division was spotted to the north of my troops (northeast of 2nd Acr's position. I inched two brigades down the slope (northerly) but not far enough to appear out of the trees. I pushed another brigade down northwards but they were screened behind a small ridge and were not visible to the Rebs right flank. Once the brigade on the far right was in place I sent them up the slope--as they crested the top the Rebs were still facing southwards and were completely surprised. I sent withering fire into their ranks. Then I sent the two brigades that were hidden in the trees northwards into the Reb line. The Rebs left flank started to break and I was pushing them back all along their line--also chased off much of their arty.. I had pretty much secured the ridge that the Rebs had been based on when a new Reb division came at me from the east. They were coming in overwhelming numbers. My furthest right brigade was starting to break. I ordered them back south up to the big ridge. I ordered two reserve brigades to replace them. The Rebs were pushing in strength. It was about that time that 2nd got called to work and we decided to end it there.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail