Open all night
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SOW July 13 AAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:37 am 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3823
We took on the Gettysburg map in a random sandbox scenario with one big change: We took command of the Rebs this time out. As I had a single division, A.P. Hill, I'll provide what I can from my point of view, leave it to 2ndAcr (Robert E. Lee) and Chi (Stonewall Jackson's Corp) to provide the broader overview.

We started from the Southeast side of the map well below Spangler Farm on the Baltimore Pike. My orders were to advance in column to Spangler while scouting NW towards Gettysburg, checking out Wolfe's Hill area north of Spangler. 2ndAcr and Chi took SW f off the pike towards the area of the Round Tops and Peach Orchard.

It was a long march. A.P. Hill's division consists of 6 infantry brigades and 5 artillery batteries. As my columns approached just short of Spangler, I was alerted Yanks had been sighted at the south end of the battlefield. I was ordered to deploy and advance SW to the historic angle on Cemetery Ridge, facing the ground on which Pickett's Charge occurred. As I arrived at the Angle, I was ordered to advance South down the Emmitsburg Road to Cordori house. As I approached the indicated position, Yanks appeared in column heading north up Emmitsburg Road. It was Robinson's division of Reynold's I Corp. I deployed artillery on Cemetery Ridge and infantry astride the road at Cordori. The fight was tough but we had Robinson outnumbered between my large division and Chi's boys who helped out pressuring the Yank right.

Robinson retreated back down the road. I halted Hill's boys to await further orders as we were alerted that some Yank activity had been spotted back north at Gettysburg. That all changed quickly when scouts reported heavy units of cavalry were advancing north up the road. I scrambled to regroup astride the road and just in time: Devin's cavalry brigade of Buford galloped up, deployed and initiated what turned out to be a series of between 8-10 separate attacks/counter attacks on my infantry. My artillery was now too far away to be of much help so it was the blue on horseback vs the grey infantry. Hill's boys successfully repulsed the repeated charges, again with the help of Chi applying pressure on their right and on any cavalry units that tried to push through to the rear. A gruesome struggle as a couple of the following pictures will attest.

After repulsing the Yank cavalry, they appeared to lose interest, although Buford and Gamble were seen observing behind the lines. I regrouped to rest Hill's boys. The game ended at the point after 3-1/2 hours.

Enjoyed the game as usual, but commanding the Rebs this time out was interesting as it provided a different perspective on unit organization and the command/control required to manage. Picture follow.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: SOW July 13 AAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:47 am 
Corporal

Top: Hill's artillery providing support during Birney's attack at Cordori.
Middle: Heth's brigade engaged with Birney's boys at Codori.
Bottom: Hill's division in column on the Baltimore Pike to Spangle Farm.

Attachments:
20140713_141325 (800x600).jpg
20140713_141325 (800x600).jpg [ 236.31 KiB | Viewed 2423 times ]
20140713_140925 (800x600).jpg
20140713_140925 (800x600).jpg [ 236.29 KiB | Viewed 2423 times ]
20140713_132335 (800x600).jpg
20140713_132335 (800x600).jpg [ 218.58 KiB | Viewed 2423 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:01 pm 
Corporal

Top: Casualties of cavalry/infantry melees.
Middle: Initial Yank cavalry charge into one of Lane's regiments. Note the Yanks behind deployed for another charge.
Bottom: A later melee involving Heth's brigade.

Attachments:
20140713_151727 (800x600).jpg
20140713_151727 (800x600).jpg [ 201.13 KiB | Viewed 2423 times ]
20140713_144850 (800x600).jpg
20140713_144850 (800x600).jpg [ 184.91 KiB | Viewed 2423 times ]
20140713_150556 (800x600).jpg
20140713_150556 (800x600).jpg [ 187.83 KiB | Viewed 2423 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:04 pm 
Corporal

Top: The yank cavalry has been driven off with heavy losses.
Bottom: A.P. Hill oversees the process of regrouping his division after fights with yank cavalry.

Attachments:
20140713_152658 (800x600).jpg
20140713_152658 (800x600).jpg [ 203.06 KiB | Viewed 2423 times ]
20140713_153442 (800x600).jpg
20140713_153442 (800x600).jpg [ 220.1 KiB | Viewed 2423 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:12 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Just adding some additional details to what Hancock described above.

Here is a postgame screenshot of the Reb forces:

Attachment:
screen0038(rev).jpg
screen0038(rev).jpg [ 58.28 KiB | Viewed 2415 times ]

2ndAcr was the overall Army commander (RE Lee) and controlled Longstreet's First Corps.
I commandeded Jackson's Second Corps (of which Hancock controlled AP Hill's division).

Here is a postgame screenshot breaking down the Second Corps OOB/results:

Attachment:
screen0039(rev).jpg
screen0039(rev).jpg [ 79.66 KiB | Viewed 2415 times ]

Hancock commanded AP Hill's division while I controlled the remaining three (DH Hill, Early, and Colston).

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:34 pm 
Sergeant Major

The original plan was for Hancock to march to Spangler's. I had Early's division trailing him in support.
I ordered DH Hill and Colston marching to the Angle on a parallel road west of the Spangler march.

2ndAcr (Using RE Lee) was scouting the map to the west of us.
He spotted some Reb forces in the west marching to the area just north of Little Round Top.

We adjusted our plans and had Hancock march DH Hill westwards from Spangler to The Angle.
I deployed DH Hill along a small ridge facing west to meet the approaching Yanks. Colston's division on DH Hill's left also facing west on the same ridge. This was in the vicinity of G. Weickert Farm.
I ordered Early's division to the gap that formed between DH Hill's left and Hancock's forces around Spangler.

The Union forces approaching DH Hill and Colston atttempted to advance. However his forces were coming up a slightly rising slope plus they were facing two divisions.
I initially kept DH and Colston on the ridge and let the Yank's batter themselves but eventually elements of both divisions moved westwards down the slope to pressure the Union forces further. It wasn't long before some of the Union forces started to break and flee to the rear. Reb forces chased them. The Yanks there were down to a few remaining inf regiments. I sent orders to both DH and Colston to pull their forces back to the ridge. DH's forces minded their orders----Jone's brigade of Colston's division just refused to return as ordered.

At around this same time, Hancock's AP Hill division was tussling with Buford's Cavalry. Early's positioning in the gap between DH Hill and Hancock's forces gave him a great view of the Union left flank and left rear. I therefore ordered Early to march his forces westwards and provide support to Hancock's forces. Buford's forces were broken. Hancock's inf however had pushed far forward of his arty to the north---and Union activity was sighted in the north toward's Gettysburg. I ordered Early's division to move northwards to northwards to the area just east of Hancock's arty. Once I sent Early's forces north I essentially lost the ability to monitor their actions. It was further than the 700 yard "zooming" range I had from Jackson's saddle. They were on autopilot for the remainder of the battle.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Last edited by chijohnaok on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

Now back to activity in the south.

As mentioned, Jones had pushed way forwards. I sent repeated orders to Gen. Colston to get his forces back as fresh Union troops were arriving from the west.
Most of Colston's division pulled back somewhat. Jone's brigade never did and got slaughtered. Gen Colston managed to get himself cut off by the Yanks and I could no longer get couriers to him with orders. I had to use Corps Commander Jackson to individually order Colstons arty pieces and inf regiments back up to Little Round Top. It was frustrating but I managed to get most of them deployed to it. Remainders of two arty batteries were at the top of Little Round Top and had an unobstructed view of the Yanks in the west. The remainder of Colston's inf was deployed along the slope, ready for the approaching Yanks (who were in the process of destroying Jones' brigade.

Somewhere around this time 2ndAcr marched Longstreet's forces southward in an attempt to save Jones' brigade.

Here is a screen shot of the battle map at around the end of the battle:

Attachment:
screen0034(rev).jpg
screen0034(rev).jpg [ 243.05 KiB | Viewed 2411 times ]

You can see Hancock's AP Hill division and Gen Early's division in the north.
I am in the south with DH Hill and Colston's divisions at Little Round Top. 2ndAcr is in the center/west area with Longstreet's corps.

After the demise of Jones' division, the Yanks pushed west toward's Little Round Top. The Reb arty was shelling them from long distance and when the Union inf came within rifle range of Colston's forces on the slop of Little Round Top fighting was again engaged.

It was not long after this that we ended the battle.

Here is a screenshot from DH Hill's view on the slop with the Reb's to the southwest:

Attachment:
screen0036(rev).jpg
screen0036(rev).jpg [ 216.35 KiB | Viewed 2411 times ]

And finally, here is a view from Corps Commander Jackson near the summit of Little Round Top. he is facing westwards.
The arty is shelling in front of him and you can see the Reb inf in position across the slope below.
Off in the distance in the middle right of the picture you can see Longstreet's forces (view partially obscured by a tree).

Attachment:
screen0033(rev).jpg
screen0033(rev).jpg [ 194.65 KiB | Viewed 2411 times ]

One last somewhat amusing comment.
I had mentioned earlier that Gen. Colston had gotten himself cut off behind Union lines. (He was in the area around the center of the above picture--near the white barn/farmhouse).
At about the time that the Yanks started their push on Little Round Top, Colston suddenly showed up to the far LEFT/SOUTH of the action. He had apparently managed to slip behind the Union lines and managed to get back to his forces. That was the first time I recall seeing that happen.

Profile E-mail