Open all night
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SOW July 11 AAR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:00 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3823
Chi and I took on the Salem Church map which covers the areas of major civil war battlefields Fredericksburg on the east, Wilderness in the center, and Chancellorsville on the West. Chi assumed overall command with MacLellan. direct command of Sumner's Corp. I commanded Heintzelman's Corp- Hooker and Kearny divisions.

We once again started the battle on the south of the map just off Telegraph Road, one of three main roads running roughly east/west through the map area. The objective was NW of us on the Plank Road at the Toll Gate. We decided to advance north through heavy woods on narrow paths: Chi would move directly north towards the objective and scout what appeared to be reb units already in place; I advanced NE towards the Plank Road, roughly parallel with Chi's advance, while scouting well ahead to that road and north.

Chi confirmed first sighting of DH Hills division at the Toll Gate. As I had found no sign of rebs North and East, we agreed Chi would deploy Sumner in the woods south of the road and push the rebs from the south; meanwhile, I would march Hooker to the Plank Road and deploy facing west to leverage Chi's attack. As we outnumbered the rebs at the objective, Kearny was brought up behind Hooker and faced northerly so as to watch for Longstreet- we knew he was out there somewhere.

We hit Hill from south and east, he put up a fight, but we had him by numbers. The disturbing thing was his reinforcements kept coming from the most northerly River Road which runs back to Fredericksburg. We needed to dispose of Hill and find Longstreet.

Just as we had Hill managed, Huger and Mahone brigades from Longstreet, plus lots of artillery, advanced west down Plank Road from Fredericksburg. As Kearny turned to face them, Chi worked on finishing off Hill and Hooker's troops were disengaged and hustled east to join Kearny. Longstreet kept feeding troops down the Plank Road and pressuring the flanks. By the time Hooker arrived, Kearny was beat up (his division ended the day with 269 infantry remaining of 4500- that is not a typo). Chi's boys started to arrive to shore up the right just in time- Hooker's boys were dead tired and about to give. And just as we figured Chi could get the momentum moving the other way, game ended.

Great fun and I'll follow with a few screen pictures.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: SOW July 11 AAR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:34 pm 
Corporal

Hooker's division advancing north on the narrow paths led by "Fighting Joe" himself in the first pic.

Attachments:
20140712_130756 (1) (800x600).jpg
20140712_130756 (1) (800x600).jpg [ 196.17 KiB | Viewed 1529 times ]
20140712_122919 (800x600).jpg
20140712_122919 (800x600).jpg [ 234.08 KiB | Viewed 1529 times ]
20140712_122948 (800x600).jpg
20140712_122948 (800x600).jpg [ 214.45 KiB | Viewed 1529 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:43 pm 
Corporal

Bottom: Hooker's division deploying astride the Plank Road facing west, preparing to coordinate attacks with Chi's boys.
Middle: Sickles brigade advancing to hit DH Hill as Chi's boys attack from the south on the left.
Top: Kearny's artillery support as his division takes on Longstreet back east down Plank road

Attachments:
20140712_143549 (800x600).jpg
20140712_143549 (800x600).jpg [ 172.49 KiB | Viewed 1529 times ]
20140712_140521 (800x600).jpg
20140712_140521 (800x600).jpg [ 195.19 KiB | Viewed 1529 times ]
20140712_131245 (800x600).jpg
20140712_131245 (800x600).jpg [ 180.98 KiB | Viewed 1529 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:50 pm 
Corporal

Kearny's boys advancing on Longstreet's rebs in the woods just north of Plank Road. Virtually every man visible on this screen pic became a casualty.

Attachments:
20140712_145018 (800x600).jpg
20140712_145018 (800x600).jpg [ 225.59 KiB | Viewed 1528 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:55 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Good write up.

I will add a bit to what Hancock stated.

McClellan had scouted ahead to the edge of the woods just southwest of the Toll Gte on Plank rd. He spotted elements (inf and artillery) of DH Hill's division static at the Toll Gate. McClellan was only about 130 yards from the closest Reb forces but (I think) was fully hidden in the trees. Hancock had used Heintzelman to scout to the east and northeast of Hill's division. We had not sighted the rest of the Reb forces. I suggested a 2 prong attack on Hill. I didn't want to wait too long and give the Rebs an opportunity to gather more troops to DH Hill's position. We presumed that there might be Rebs at Fredericksburg but Hancock had 2 divisions along the Plank rd between DH Hill's forces and Fredericksburg---hopefully he would intercept Reb couriers riding for help.

We decided that Hancock would use one division to move westwards. They moved within sight but not within range of the Reb inf. I (McClellan) watched as the Rebs deployed in a north/south line facing towards Hooker's division, inf to the front and arty to the rear. In the meantime, I had Sumner march his corps of Richardson and Sedgewick's divisions through the woods south of Plank Rd. Richardson managed to stealthily move his division just to the south of the Toll Gate. They deployed in an east-west line facing north. Sedgewick's moved his division through the woods to Richardson's left. They would be also be facing north, facing the Reb's rear where their arty was deployed.

Hancock moved Hooker's division towards DH Hills and engaged them. The Rebs to my north never saw it coming because as my two divisions emerged from the woods, Hill's men were all still all facing eastwards. Richardson's right hinged near the Toll Gate and swung to the north to join up with Hooker's left. Richardson's center anchored its position near the Toll Gate and his left extended westwards. We formed a giant "L" around the Reb's right corner. Sedgewick's troops pushed north out of the foods and immediately moved towards the Reb's arty. Most of the Reb arty was either scattered or pushed further north. Some of Sedgewick's troops pursued the arty, while the rest of his forces advanced eastwards to the rear of Hill's infantry on the right. Many of them quickly broke but there were a couple Reb inf regiments that put up stubborn resistance despite being surrounded on three sides. They eventually broke. Now I was able to push northwards with all of Sedgewick's division. Sedgewick's arty was brought up out of the trees. His inf pushed north to try and roll up the Reb inf lines. Soon I started intercepting Reb couriers pleading with Longstreet for help. The Rebs of Hill's division put up a determined resistance. And as Hancock mentioned in his above post, it seemed as if fresh reinforcements kept coming in from the north. (DH Hill's division was nearly as large as Sumner's entire corp).

Hancock informed me that Huger (and more) was back and starting to press him. I ordered all of Sumner's arty to start moving eastwards to lend support. I also ordered up what was left of (2 inf regiments) one somewhat rested inf brigade(Meagher) from Richardson's division. There was a very long way for them to march though to get to where Hancocks's forced were.

I finally managed to scatter all but the last couple regiments of DH Hill's division and gave an order to Sumner to bring everyone eastwards. Hancock had told me that his right was collapsing. I galloped McClellan to the front lines, and Meagher's depleted brigade had just arrived. Several of my arty batteries were now firing in support. Just as the right collapse seemed to accelerate I got Meaher's forces in line to engage.

Then the timer ran out to end the game.

Sumner's corps was left with a bit over 7,000 troops.
Union forces were left with 12,782 of 31,041 troops.
Rebs were left with 14,730 of 34,003.
DH Hills was left with 1283 of his starting 12,384.
Huger was left with 1156 of 7140.
Longstreet (who didn't really get very involved) only lost about 1300 of his 14,029 troops.

Based on points it was a major victory for the Union.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail