maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gettysburg 150th edition
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:13 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 4274
Yeah camera can be tricky. Go into settings and set it for 700 yards, that is what we use IIRC.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:15 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 7360
2ndAcr wrote:
Yeah camera can be tricky. Go into settings and set it for 700 yards, that is what we use IIRC.

Thanks! I'll try that next I open it up. Played through the cavalry tutorial this evening and it's getting easier. Think I'll go back and do the brigade one again before trying the Division tutorial. Are there any particular mods you guys would recommend using?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:25 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15259
nelmsm wrote:
2ndAcr wrote:

Thanks! I'll try that next I open it up. Played through the cavalry tutorial this evening and it's getting easier. Think I'll go back and do the brigade one again before trying the Division tutorial. Are there any particular mods you guys would recommend using?

I would say either start out with the Gettysburg campaign (it will toss a variety of scenarios at you with varying unit sizes--I think from brigade---division---corps)
OR you can just do single battles from Gettysburg in the sandlot.
You can pick and choose your unit sizes---this will give you a chance to get familiar with the different unit sizes and how command works.

Definitely do try commanding the different unit types (infantry, cavalry, artillery). Each unit type has its own strengths and weaknesses.

In the sandlot you can pick and choose different maps and orders of battle (OOB).
Make note of the different terrain types and how the terrain may effect your unit's ability to fight (high ground bonuses, fighting from behind cover, etc).

Once you become more familiar with that, we could bring you into a multiplayer game--if you are interested.
You could start off again commanding a smaller unit and work your way up to larger units as you become comfortable with them.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:10 pm 
Sergeant

Bugle and flag mod, changes the tool bar at the bottom and gives you some more formations and easier orders etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

nelmsm wrote:
2ndAcr wrote:

How has your Scourge of War gameplay gone?

Did you try the Bugles & Flags XIII?

You ready to give one of our multiplayer matches a go?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:21 pm 
Sergeant

Yeah about time you get your hands down and dirty with us. I will design a special scenario just for you to give you a proper welcome to the group. :twisted:

So you need to post up, strap on your boots, and get a test game in with me or Chi (probably Chi as my time is extremely limited due to work) on a Sat so you are ready for our usual Sun noon EST game. We play for about 4 hours on average. Some are quicker but we play open ended so we can end at any time or they can last beyond 4 hours, depends on time, how blood thirsty we are that day or how badly the AI beat us down.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:43 am 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 7360
Well I've just gotten as far as the brigade tutorial. Opened up the division tutorial but really didn't give it a good play so I've still got some work to do before I'm ready to play with you guys.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:05 am 
Sergeant Major

nelmsm wrote:
Well I've just gotten as far as the brigade tutorial. Opened up the division tutorial but really didn't give it a good play so I've still got some work to do before I'm ready to play with you guys.

As a point of information, in the multi-player game, you can choose to command a unit as small as a brigade or an artillery battery.
That way you could start out with something more manageable to command and then move up to division commander when you feel that you are ready for that.

Just thought I would mention that.

Good luck on your gameplay.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:10 am 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3485
Highly recommend you do what I did: Let 2ndacr or Chi schedule a short MP with just two players commanding the yank side. One of them will command a division and you can take one of the brigades of about 4-5 regiments. 2ndacr did that with me for about an hour or so. Gave me a feel for the command and control, courier communications and map navigation. Also will quickly get you over any concerns you may have about joining the larger MPs as you can stay with brigade until you are ready to move up. He was able to IM me when I had questions or he had a recommendation. I would do that with you, but don't know how to set up my own MP.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:35 am 
Sergeant Major

HancockTheSuperb wrote:
Highly recommend you do what I did: Let 2ndacr or Chi schedule a short MP with just two players commanding the yank side. One of them will command a division and you can take one of the brigades of about 4-5 regiments. 2ndacr did that with me for about an hour or so. Gave me a feel for the command and control, courier communications and map navigation. Also will quickly get you over any concerns you may have about joining the larger MPs as you can stay with brigade until you are ready to move up. He was able to IM me when I had questions or he had a recommendation. I would do that with you, but don't know how to set up my own MP.

Great suggestion.

Nelmsm, just holler if you would be interested in trying this.
At the moment I have more free time than 2ndAcr does.

Hancock: Using Skype, I could probably walk you through the process involved in hosting a MP match.

Profile E-mail