Open all night
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gettysburg 150th edition
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:49 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 7360
They have the Scourge of War 150th edition on sale this week. I really haven't had time to get into the original yet but is it worth it to pick up all the expansions while they are on sale?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Gettysburg 150th edition
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:07 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3485
Keeping in mind you are hearing this from a total Civil War freak and one who loves the SOW game, it is definitely worth it. The package provides endless scenarios across major battles such as Brandy Station, Gettysburg, Chancellorsville and Antietam (including South Mountain). There are also mods issued by the SOW gang that are free to download from the forums (ex. Red River campaign). In addition are mods for additional OOBs and maps that the MP guys on this site use, such as the Gettysburg map referenced in our overview of our battle from Sunday. The mechanics take some time, but once mastered, it is as close to the Civil War command and control environment you can get.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:44 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15134
I agree with Hancock........the 150th edition with all the various scenarios is a deal...and the additional maps and so forth that are are available through modders are also out there.

It's a fun game and while the mechanics/learning curve takes some work, its is a pretty great game overall.

The great thing about learning the game is that when playing in multiplayer, you can choose the size of the unit that you want to command.
So if playing with others, you can start of with a regiment, and then once you get the hang of that, you can then choose brigade command, division command, corps command.

You can also do the same thing in playing the sandlot games solo.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:57 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Thanks. I'll probably pull the trigger on it when payday rolls around this week. Now to find some time to play it. Do either of you play any of the HPS/JTS titles? I usually have several games going with them, actually was on the playtest team for Campaign Overland.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:32 pm 
Sergeant Major

nelmsm wrote:
Thanks. I'll probably pull the trigger on it when payday rolls around this week. Now to find some time to play it. Do either of you play any of the HPS/JTS titles? I usually have several games going with them, actually was on the playtest team for Campaign Overland.

I do not have any HPS/JTS games.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:05 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10226
It is a fantastic game.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:00 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3485
So Anthropoid, when you going to join us again? Still have tech issues? We really would like to get more "commanders" involved.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:42 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 4274
Worth the cash. Game is great. We do get hit with some Lag at random times though, some days it runs smooth as silk and some days we have some issues. I am just gonna chock that up to multiple different machines at different speeds, possible internet connections etc.

I know me, Chi and Hancock have done multiple games with little to no lag or issues, and then we might have a rough patch on a game day. Mostly it is pretty smooth sailing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:12 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Took some time to work through the artillery tutorial last night and downloaded the collection this morning. On vacation starting Friday through Wednesday so planning on taking some time to play through the rest of the tutorials and try a few scenarios. Getting used to using the camera is probably the biggest problem I'm having right now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:18 pm 
Sergeant Major

nelmsm wrote:
Took some time to work through the artillery tutorial last night and downloaded the collection this morning. On vacation starting Friday through Wednesday so planning on taking some time to play through the rest of the tutorials and try a few scenarios. Getting used to using the camera is probably the biggest problem I'm having right now.

It does take a little getting used to.

There are settings limiting the distance that you can camera zoom away from your commander. (This adds a level or realism to where you can only see what you could realistically see from your saddle, as opposed to zooming all over the battlefield beyond what normal eyesight (or CW era binoculars) might allow you to see.

Profile E-mail