Open all night
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SOW June 28/29
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:28 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Anyone up for it this weekend?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: SOW June 28/29
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:27 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3823
I'm in for Sunday at noon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:47 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 6238
Took on call, so not sure for Sunday......Possible, if I am up I will be there noon EST or there abouts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

I'm good with noon---will look for you guys.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:32 am 
Sergeant Major

I got a text from 2ndAcr that he had to work and will not be able to play today.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:35 am 
Corporal

OK. See you at noon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:40 pm 
Corporal

The answer to my screen shots problem was sitting next to me during every battle......my Samsung...this is a picture from a sandbox event I used to practice corp command on the Gettysburg map.

Attachment:
SOW II.jpg
SOW II.jpg [ 1.74 MiB | Viewed 3312 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:35 am 
Sergeant Major

I enjoyed our battle yesterday.

Using the Gettysburg map in a "Hunt" game, we were placed in the upper right hand corner of the map to start.
We used a 2 corps setup with Hancock running Heintzelman's corp and me running Sumner's corps and taking McClellan as overall commander.

Hancock headed his troops southwestwards on a road towards Gettysburg while I pushed Sumner's corps slightly west and then southwestwards into Gettysburg on a parallel road. The idea was to have Hancock's troops running lead and Sumner trailing behind, ready to react and support. While troops were moving we were both scouting for the Rebs. Hancock was scouting into Gettysburg and then south of town, while I used Mac to ride westwards, scouting north of town, then northwest of town and finally west of town. Hancock made the first sighting of Rebs to the south southeast of town (AP Hill's division). Those Rebs were static in their movement. By this time his two divisions were deployed just south of Gettysburg facing that same direction. Sumner's corps was behind somewhat heading into Gettysburg. At about that town another group of rebs were spotted southwest of Gettysburg marching towards town. Hancock readied his men to face the approaching Rebs (Huger's division). I ordered one of my divisions (Richardson) to march toward's the right side of the Union line in support and I ordered my 2nd division into Gettysburg to wait there as a reserve.

Hancock's men were deployed across the top of a slight slope rising up towards Gettysburg so he had a terrain advantage. Richardson's men arrived and started to deploy in support of the Union right. A bit later the Rebs made a determined push on Hancock's center/right and I ordered Richardson's division to move forwards to pressure the Rebs. In the distance, I could see more Reb units arriving---Longstreet's division was marching from the south approaching Huger's rear. Richardson started a concerted push against Huger but Huger's force was determined not to be pushed back. I started intercepting couriers from Huger to Longstreet for help but they eventually did flee. I saw Longstreet's forces sitting in the distance and made an effort not to let Richardson's forces get too far ahead as they might start tangling with Longstreet's division.

While Huger's push was going on Hancock spotted DH Hills forces arriving from the south east and making an attack. I ordered my reserve division to move from behind Gettysburg to Hancock's left. They set up in line along the same slope as the rest of the Union forces and waited for the Reb attack. Despite a determined effort DH Hills attack was eventually repelled and his forces sent running. Hancock and I made an effort to pull out forces back up the slope and prepare for a possible attack from Longstreet but that attack never came.

Just about that time the timer ran out----a major victory for the Union forces.

A look at the post game results show that Longstreet lost one brigade and an arty battery but that the rest of his forces never engaged. Had Longstreet's division engaged while Huger still had some forces left we might have been hard pressed to deal with that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:02 pm 
Corporal

Abolutely enjoyed my first MP experience with command of a corp...all the good things about that as well as the bad things (like div/brig commanders deciding not to follow orders and just sit there pondering world peace).

To add to Chi's overerview:

We played on a map that contained the battlefield around Gettysburg. On the first day of that battle, Ewell's Corp advanced from the north, caved in 11th Corp and continued to Cemetery Hill just south of town (where my avitar took command and spent the evening "saving the Union army").

Our corps advanced using those same roads south towards Gettysburg. My orders were to advance to the town and scout South down Emmitsburg and Taney Town Roads; East on the Baltimore Pike and Hanover Road. I detected Hill's advance a mile or so past Spangler Farm on Baltimore Pike to the East. Just as Hooker's first brigades were entering the town, we caught sight of rebs advancing rapidly north up Taney Town and Emmitsburg roads. Hooker was able to rush a couple brigades and artillery batteries to the summit of Cemetery Hill just in time to hold off the rebs as the remainder of his division moved in. 10 minutes later and this would have been a different battle. Cemetery Hill and northern end of Cemetery Ridge were major factors as our artillery had open lines of site in all directions and the infantry used the terrain to very good affect.

As Hooker continued to deploy and face off the rebs as they advanced up the roads and Cemetery Ridge, I made the mistake of the event. During the advance into town, I had brought Kearny's division up in column on Hookers right rear slightly west. As the rebs hit Hooker, I deployed Kearny on his right. Knowing Hill was still lurking beyond Spangler, what I should have done was moved him behind Hooker and deployed on Hooker's left facing south and east in the expectation Hill would advance toward the town at some point. My mistake later forced Chi to split his corps, sending one to shore up the left as Hill finally came streaming up Baltimore Pike and over Culp's Hill.

From that point it was Chi and me taking advantage of "good ground" and eventually forcing the rebs back enough that we could reset under the protection of the artillery. As Chi said, Longstreet was sitting a mile or so away in full view, we figured it was just a matter of time. But, AI figured differently.

Great fun and will definitely provide "screen shot pictures" now that I have that figured out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

Thanks for adding in all those place names---your knowledge of the battlefield is greater than mine.

As for you making "the mistake of the event" that is an overstatement. Battles evolve on the fly and hindsight is a wonderful thing.
The important thing is that we fortunately recognized not only our gaffs in time to compensate for them, but we also did a pretty good job of sensing opportunities (Richardson's push on the right) and exploiting them.

For your first corps command you did a great job.

As for "div/brig commanders deciding not to follow orders and just sit there pondering world peace", get used to that. That is not an isolated occurrence.

Profile E-mail