maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: June 1, 2014 Battle AAR
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:47 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 6363
Once again into the valley of death we have ventured, only this time it was the enemy who got truly ripped to shreds. We fielded 2 Corps with me controlling 1 Corps of 2 div and Chi commanded the other Corps with Hancock as a div commander. We used the Salem Church map. Those trees make the battles a challenge.

As the game started we were deployed in the SE corner of the map. Initial orders had Chi heading NW with his Corps while I took mine more northerly. As we reached our deployment areas, Hill was spotted with his division heading south right in between me and Hancock. So Steve held what he had, I ordered my div next to him to deploy and hold, I swung my other div north while Chi deployed his div north also but on the west flank. Once the fight got really deep in the center, I swept my div in the north westward and Chi headed eastward with his div. This resulted in Hill's Div being completely surrounded and destroyed with minimum losses to us.

We then deployed north a little to regroup, rest and re-arm. As we slowly made that happen, we spotted a rebel cluster deep in our south, Chi went to investigate, it was Longstreet div. I started to deploy my guys facing south to get ready for them. Chi stayed down and kept an eye on them. I decided to head east towards Fredricksburg to good ground and prep for them. Chi started his Corps SE to face Longstreet.

During my move to my new position, Huger unseen division slammed right into my artillery on the march. I took heavy artillery losses to this action, but poor Huger was stuck between both of my divisions so we chewed him up. I then pushed forward and occupied the high ground overlooking Fredricksburg and got read for Longstreet Div. We had Hancock move his div up onto the ridge with me on my right flank while Chi brought his Div all the way to my left flank. Longstreet moved into the center of Fredricks and then turned west right at my center. As his division left town, all my remaining artillery opened up and shelled him as he approached. As he reached the bottom of my ridgeline, his unit stalled out crossing the creek down there. I managed to get my guys ready behind stone walls so was in a great position as he finally rushed my position. The enemy took huge losses until his units were able to swing onto my left, but it was short lived as Chi pushed his Div onto the rebel flank and hammered him, while he did that Hancock moved his division east ward and started hammering the other rebel flank. This resulted in much chaos in the enemy ranks and allowed us to end the battle with almost an entire Rebel Corps of 34,000 men wiped from the field of battle.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: June 1, 2014 Battle AAR
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:48 pm 
Sergeant

Rebels finally deploy across the creek at the base of my line.

Attachments:
screen0002.jpg
screen0002.jpg [ 185.25 KiB | Viewed 2523 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:50 pm 
Sergeant

Rebel's begin hitting my left flank as Chi swings onto them.

Attachments:
screen0001.jpg
screen0001.jpg [ 176.81 KiB | Viewed 2521 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:51 pm 
Sergeant

Hancock swings onto the rebel left opposite Chi.

Attachments:
screen0003.jpg
screen0003.jpg [ 169.77 KiB | Viewed 2520 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:53 pm 
Sergeant

A Couple of my regiments rush the rebel force on the right near Hancock.

Attachments:
screen0005.jpg
screen0005.jpg [ 201.98 KiB | Viewed 2519 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:55 pm 
Sergeant

My units continue attacking in front of Hancock's advance on the rebel flank.

Attachments:
screen0008.jpg
screen0008.jpg [ 204.19 KiB | Viewed 2518 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:56 pm 
Sergeant

And my last screenshot, the last most stubborn enemy regiment in my center. This regiment held out against 5-6 of my regiments for what seemed forever all the while facing brutal fire from all angles and massed artillery fire.

Attachments:
screen0009.jpg
screen0009.jpg [ 197.01 KiB | Viewed 2517 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:19 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
The Rebs were sufficiently humbled today.

2nd ACR took one corps by himself and was overall battle commander.
I took Heintzelman's corp, with Hancock running Hancock's division and me taking Kearney's.

We started in the bottom right (southeastern) corner of the map.

2nd ACR ordered my corps to move slightly westwards and then north while he marched his corps northwards.
I ordered Hancock to move move up a road northwards while I had Kearney's division march through the woods and then north. Kearney would be the extreme left of the Union's march.
After I had made my turn north, 2ndACR sighted Rebs (DH HIll's division) north of the Plank road. They were marching south, down a creekbed (had not seen that happen before). His 2 divisions were on a north-south line facing west. Hancock managed to turn his division in an east-west line blocking Hills march south.
I moved Kearney's division further north. I swung north pivoting off Hancock's left and slammed into Hill's flank). My troops were tired/exhausted by this point but I had some decent ground and 2 of my brigades were firing down on the Rebs from a small hill that overlooked another creekbed. This battle against Hill was fought in the woods west of Frederickburg.

We managed to get Hill's division in a large "U" and eventually closed off the top. We destroyed DH Hill's division:

Attachment:
Hills division slaughter.jpg
Hills division slaughter.jpg [ 200.72 KiB | Viewed 2513 times ]

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:29 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3823
Only thing I'll add is this was a lot of search and destroy...scouting and communication made it happen. All 4 divisions were in heavy action in two major engagements, and a lot of marching in between. And wouldn't you know...Longstreet decided to attempt the actual Battle of Fredricksburg in reverse when he could have come at us earlier in the woods. Other than the slaughter in front of 2ndacr, the only difference was Chi's and my divisions had enough left to door swing into both flanks...no chance. AI needs to rethink that strategy.

Thanks again to all involved, lots of fun.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:29 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
That was one Reb division down but we had not spotted the rest yet.

I managed to resupply my division with ammo and give them a breather. Meanwhile I used Heintzelman to scout to the south for Rebs.
(I think at this point 2ndAcr had spotted Rebs to the north of the Plank Rd). Not long after I spotted Reb arty marching northeast along a road. I shadowed them to see if they would continue northeast (which would have placed them on a path towards 2ndAcr) or turned east. They turned east. It ws not only arty but also infantry of Longtreet's division (commanded by Gen. Anderson). By this point 2ndAcr had engaged the Reb force to the north. If Anderson's men moved east and then north they could hit 2ndAcr's rear area. I hightailed it west again to where I had Kearney's divison resting. I moved them thru the forest again and then east along a roadway. Hancock was pushing eastwards. Anderson had his division stopped on an empty plowed farm field in an east-west line, with his arty on the west end just about where the woods started. Hancock's division was lining up on an east-west ridge to the south of 2ndAcr. There was a brick wall at the bottom where he was deploying his infanty and his arty was at the top of the hill overlooking it. My plan was to proceed through the wooded roadway. If undetected, I could hit Anderson's limbered arty with my infantry. It took a while to get Kearney's men through the woods and by the time they got in range, Anderson had marched his forces east and then turned north towards Fredericksburg.

2ndAcr ordered me to bring my Kearney division northwards and to deploy on his left flank. I marched from what would have been the far right of the Union line to the far left of the line.
I managed to get Kearney's men to the left of 2ndAcr's forces. I ordered them to bring the arty to the front. They were deployed on a small ridge that looked down onto a large dried creek bed.
Kearney was a stubborn SOB and kept trying to redeploy his forces. I would get them set and just as my arty opened up he would have them stop and start moving. For some assinine reason he wanted them to redeploy slightly to the west and facing west (away from the Reb troops coming out of Fredericksburg). I finally TC'd Kearney and got his forces in place. The Rebs started approaching the Union lines. 2ndAcr's arty was already shelling them and I then opened up on them with 4 batteries of Union arty.

The Reb's kept marching closer and closer. I managed to keep Kearney's forces on the ridge. The Rebs approached. When they got to be around 250 yards away I moved the inf forward slightly to be even with my arty and provide cover fire for them. My arty was in a continuous line with 2ndACRs. At some point, 2ndACR's Irish Brigade, which was providing inf cover to his arty on his left (my right) decided to shift over to the left some more and then move down the hill to engage the Reb forces. When he did that, he left 2ndACR's arty unprotected. Several Reb regiments moved up the hill and were only around 50 yards away from the cannons. I quickly moved 2 of my inf regiments forward to cover the exposed arty, and ordered my reserve brigade forward into that same area. 2nd ACr lost some cannons but I managed to beat the Rebs back down the hill. The Rebs only had a few regiments left on their end of the line. My center brigade started moving down the slope towards them. Seeing this, I ordered my brigade on the extreme left to surge forward as well and to attempt to flank the Reb forces.

You can see the 2nd Michigan infantry regiment confronting the 5th Virginia at 131 yards:

Attachment:
2ndMich-2nd.jpg
2ndMich-2nd.jpg [ 244.21 KiB | Viewed 2512 times ]

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Last edited by chijohnaok on Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail