maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: May 18 Battle AAR
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:28 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 6363
Okay we fought a really nice battle today. Used the Salem Church map so lots of woods and that dang river. Chi had a Corps of 2 Div's with Hancock leading one of his Div. I had a Corps of 2 div's. My starting deployment was part of 1 div on the west side of the river, the rest and my 2nd div on the east side of the river. Spent the first 15-20 min of game just getting my guys across the river.

Chi and Hancock were deployed into a screening force while I crossed the river and massed my guys.

Once my guys had finally all gotten to the west side of the river, I sent Chi and Hancock to search the northern 1/2 of the map, I would slowly advance on their left down the main road that cut the map in 1/2. Here is a shot of my Corps leaving Fredricksburg.

Attachments:
File comment: Pic 1, First div on the march
screen0003.jpg
screen0003.jpg [ 189.75 KiB | Viewed 1978 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: May 18 Battle AAR
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:31 pm 
Sergeant

Another pic of my 2nd Div on the march leaving Fredricksburg.

Attachments:
screen0004.jpg
screen0004.jpg [ 162.77 KiB | Viewed 1977 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:45 pm 
Sergeant

As Chi and Hancock began heading west along the north of the map, I slowly began a westward move down Plank road which splits the map in 1/2. I was moving 1st Div first and then would bring my 2nd Div west. While I was doing my first major leap west with my 1st Div, I spotted Longstreet's div on Plank Road but turning north heading towards Chi and Hancock, I sent out a sighting report and direction of travel and informed them I would advance west and hit Longstreet in the flank as they engaged him.

About the time my couriers were arriving in the north and I had just leaped 1st div again to the west, I spotted Huger Reb div coming up at me from the south but right in between my 2 divisions. It could have been a disaster but I was lucky in that my 2nd Div was already deployed in line on top of a hill facing that general area where Huger was, I instead focused on turning my 1st div around and deploying to support. I had Huger flanked no matter which way his div turned, one of my div's would be on his flank or hitting him in the rear.

While I was in the process of chewing up Huger, Chi and Hancock were searching for Longstreet's Div. His div had actually halted northern advance as Huger hit me and turned around to hit me. I had just about finished off Huger when I spotted Longstreet coming up the road and starting to engage my 1st Div arty which was all by itself with no infantry support. I started scrambling my units back onto the hill to deploy and face Longstreet while my 2nd div swept the rest of Huger away and climbed the small hill to help 1st Div.

Chi and Hancock were forced to travel 1/2 the map in pursuit of Longstreet to help me. Once my guys got fully deployed, Longstreet faced 6 full artillery batteries and 2 div's of infantry. I had that road effectively blocked. Same time, Hancock began hitting Longstreet from the north on his flank, Chi was just starting to engage Longstreet in the western zone when we spotted AP Hill div, so Chi was forced to fight a delaying action against Hill while me and Hancock hammered away at Longstreet. Finally, I was able to form my units into a large U shape that totally encompassed Longstreets flank and was able to take each of his regiments under fire with 3-6 of mine. After about 20 min of hard fighting and manuevering, his flank collapsed which allowed me to resupply and begin heading west. Hancock had to go into action right away as Hill had chewed Chi up during the heavy fighting of the delaying action.

We ended the battle at the 3 hour mark as we had defeated 2 Reb divisions and was slowly putting Hill on the run. Last screen shot will show you the map and our battle lines.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:49 pm 
Sergeant

Here is a map so you can see who is where, my guys are on the right of map, outlined in yellow, moving to the left, the next blue splotch is Hancock, Chi is the farthest blue group. As you can see, this was before I crushed Longstreet flank and before Hancock could swing west to help Chi, Chi on the other hand, is slowly being hit from 2 sides from Hill and Longstreet.

Attachments:
screen0006.jpg
screen0006.jpg [ 267.81 KiB | Viewed 1974 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Good game overall---poor showing on my end.

Taking 2ndAcr's last pic of the battle map, I have added some information to help explain map movements.

My corps (Heintzelman corp commander) was made up of 2 divisions (Hooker and Kearney). I took corp command and Kearney's division. Hancock took Hooker's division.
I have designated my corp's units on the map as "H-K" (Heintzelman-Kearney) and "H-H" (Heintzelman-Hooker).

Sumner's divisions (2ndAcr's) are shown as "S" on the map--straddling both sides of the river. I guess the only crossing was a bridge that ran through the city.

Attachment:
Heintz Corp movement.jpg
Heintz Corp movement.jpg [ 411.07 KiB | Viewed 1970 times ]

Heintzelman's corps started on the west side of the Rappahannock River, northwest of Fredericksburg.

I started out by ordering Kearney and Hooker to move west to the canal/ditch line. The mission was to screen Sumner's corp as it crossed the river.
We sighted no Rebs and then Kearney and Hooker pushed west to the area of Stansbury. Still no sign of the Rebs.

Heintzelman and Kearney moved north to the area of Dr. Taylor and Hooker was ordered to start moving west on the road towards Alsop.
Heintzelman and Kearney moved west down the River Road. I think it was about this time that 2ndAcr spotted Longstreet's division coming east on the Plank Rd in the center of the map.

Orders were issued to Hooker to move as far as Alsop and then turn south down the road.
Kearney was ordered west down the River Rd and then turned south at the turnoff towards Donnegan.
The plan was for Heintzelman's corps to make a coordinated attack southward against Longstreet as his division was spread out in march formation heading east on the Plank Rd.

Kearney got into action a little after Hooker did, but not too long after. By the time Kearney got within about 300-400 yards of the Plank Rd, the infantry portion of Longstreet's division had already passed by and Longstreet had his arty set up along the road facing north at Kearney's inf.

By the time that Kearney's inf got to the battle area, his troops were already weary to tired. They were approaching the Longstreet's arty across an open plowed field of brown dirt with no cover. The Reb arty was tearing holes into Kearney's line of advancement. At about this time, more Reb inf was spotted marching eastwards down the Plank Rd. DH Hill's division had been following in Longstreet's footsteps. So here was poor Kearney's division--tired from a long march, being shot to hell by arty across an open field, and then having DH Hill's division show up on its front right.
(If I recall, Kearney's division numbers between 10,000-11,000 men and DH Hill's is over 16,000). I managed to pivot Kearney's division from facing south to facing southwest in order to try and deal with DH Hill's division. Kearney was holding his own for a while but was steadily being worn down by overwhelming numbers. One by one, the exhausted and outnumbered inf regiments started to give way. I tried to use reserve regiments to plug the gaps in the line resulting from retreating units but soon there were no reserves left to plug that gap. The regiments that did retreat and not route were forced to step back into it before the could get any sort of breather. DH Hill's inf regiments kept extending their left flank (northwards) and I didn't have units left to deal with that. At one point I sent the order for the division to pull back a couple hundred yards in an effort to shorten the lines and to stem a route of the entire division.

Soon Kearney's division was being routed one regiment at a time. By the time everything was said and done all that was left on the right end of the Union lines was the corps commander Heintzelman, div commander Kearney, a LT in charge of an arty battery (said arty battery was actually just one cannon). :cry:

From what I could see of things, Sumner (2ndAcr) crushed Huger and did a good job against Longstreet; Hooker (Hancock) did a great job against Longstreet; I got crushed.

Goes to show that you cannot march tired troops immediately into a battle and expect them to have any sort of staying power once the lead starts flying.

PS I neglected to take a screenshot of what was left of Kearney's division. Not sure if that would have been feasible anyway--no microscopic lens available. ;-)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:50 pm 
Sergeant

Too hard on yourself, I marched you too far north so you had a huge distance to cover. You did a good job of stalling Hill so we could hammer our way thru Longstreet, we just could not get to you in time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:31 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3823
Despite Chi being too hard on himself (he had the farthest and round about route to get to the action, then got a bulk hit of the fresh reb forces), it was a great battle and a real challenge. At one point it seemed we were to get swept off the map, but managed to plug holes and force it the other way.

It was the first time in my experience with MP we used a historical map..the Wilderness between Fredricksburg and Chancellorsville. Really added something to the fun.

Only add I have to the previous comments is the following:

On the initial advance deployed facing south into the woods with Alsop house on my right. When the order came to advance south, made the decision to advance through the woods, not to the road on my right..thought it would take too long to get the brigade in column, etc. This gave me an opportunity not too many major generals get....advanced to the southern edge of the woods and there it was...Longstreet in column heading east on the Plank Road with his artillery placed to face 2ndacre. The woods had screened my advance. Longstreet immediately reacted to go into line facing me, then to confront Chi's gang coming south down the road. My artillery had to advance to edge of woods to have line of sight, then opened up with affect. Great sight was Longstreet himself in sight, seemingly not sure which direction to turn. When Chi had his difficulties, I had to swing Sickles brigade from my left by moving behind my lines to the right to hold off Hill. From there it was Chi valiantly using his leaders to scout my right and 2ndacre hammering Longstreet's right back up the Plank road. We ended up advancing west with rebs falling back when battle ended.

Great fun and looking forward to another historical map multiplayer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:45 pm 
Sergeant

Pipe Creek maps are historical too. Those maps were made of the area where the Yanks would have fallen back on from Gettysburg if they had been forced to do so. Alpine Map is not historical, but Pipe maps are, they are of the area between Getty and DC.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:39 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
2ndAcr wrote:
Too hard on yourself, I marched you too far north so you had a huge distance to cover. You did a good job of stalling Hill so we could hammer our way thru Longstreet, we just could not get to you in time.

Just call my men "DCF"
(Digital Cannon fodder)

;-)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:26 am 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3823
2ndAcr wrote:
Pipe Creek maps are historical too. Those maps were made of the area where the Yanks would have fallen back on from Gettysburg if they had been forced to do so. Alpine Map is not historical, but Pipe maps are, they are of the area between Getty and DC.

Got that. But it was interesting to operate on ground where actual battles took place; area that my Dad and I visited/hiked many times while tracking our ancestor- 5th New Jersey in 61 and 62 (Hooker's div in our OOB) and the 2nd US Cavalry over the last half of the war.

Profile E-mail