It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SOW this weekend
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:44 am 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3823
2ndAcr wrote:
I am up for a dose of carnage unless I get called to work.................I will be rusty at her though.

As will I...good to have you back in the mix.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:54 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Hancock and I are in main SOW lobby, 2ndAcr on his way in as well.

Anyone else get in main lobby. I have Skype up on iPad so can get messages if need be

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13856
Obviously I'm not ready yet :( Might make it for next weekend though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

Battle over.

Players were myself, 2nd ACR and Hancock.

Played the Alpine map.

2nd ACR took corps command and McCall's division.
I had Morell and Hancock had Hooker.

We got lucky as the game objective was close by.

I was ordered to the game objective. Set my troops facing northwest straddling a road on a slight rise.
Hancock was ordered to my left, and 2nd ACR went exploring southwestwards.

Once I got my troops in place I scouted eastwards and soon saw Huger's division marching eastwards down the road towards my position. I shadowed them for a bit as i moved back towards my troops. We were set when they came in sight and my arty started to shell them long range.
As they got closer my infantry opened up on them.
Hancock then swung in on Huger's right side and soon we were mopping them up.

2nd ACR was in action to the south against Longstreet's division commanded by Anderson. Hancock helped me mop up some and then headed south to assist 2nd ACR.
I mopped up what was left of Huger's division (they were left with 3 men out of 6,984).

While I was chasing off the last of Huger's division I started to pull units back to the ammo wagon to resupply and rest.
I got most of my troops back to resupply. My intent was to leave 1 brigade covering the game objective with an arty battery in support and send the rest of my troops southwards to assist 2nd ACR and Hancock. Just as I was about to start ordering troops south I spot lead elements of AP Hill's division (the largest Reb division in this OOB) marching eastwards down the same road that Huger had come from earlier. I scrambled to get my troops back on the slope that they were positioned on when Huger attacked. I managed to get my inf back in time but one arty battery unlimbered and started firing at the Rebs. They kept marching towards the arty. I took some out but I ended up losing 3 arty pieces before I could get them disengaged. AP Hill's troops slammed into my positions. I inflicted casualties on them and attempted to anchor on this slope and see if I could let AP Hill knock himself silly. The right side of my line started to shudder. I sent in my reserve brigade to shore them up. I lost one regiment in the process though. I did spot that AP Hill's right and rear were exposed and thought if Hancock was able to get his troops back, that he could hit their exposed flank and/or rear. He managed to stick around south long enough to stabilize things for 2nd ACR. Soon I saw the Union flags in the distance marching from the south towards me. It was Hancock coming. He managed to slam into the Reb right flank. However as AP Hills division was so large they kept attempting to outflank Hancock's left. Hancock had positioned his arty on a hillside overlooking things so the arty was able to keep AP Hill from being able to flank him.

We ended the game after about the 3 hr 20 minute mark.

We scored a major victory over the Rebs.
Hugers division was annihilated.
Anderson and AP Hill were bloodied.

The Rebs were left with about 9,000 of their original 37,000 men.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:41 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
You guys did a randomly generated battle?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:44 pm 
Sergeant Major

NefariousKoel wrote:
You guys did a randomly generated battle?

Correct.

Using the Alpine map and a custom OOB that (I believe) 2ndAcr created last year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:35 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 6238
The scenario generator that is free is a extremely powerful tool and easy to use. It allows me to edit OOB, weapons, troop counts, can manually select where each unit starts or I can tell it to keep units close, far, random start locations. I created several OOB's for battles and we have also played a few battles created with the generator (beware of the random start locations, we have had our troops split on opposite sides of the map with Rebs in between us and we got slaughtered piece meal while trying to link up with each other). I have not played with it in a bit so have to get my feet wet with it again.

I created several custom OOB's for co-op use. One has 2 Corps and 4 Div's, another has 2 Corps with 3 Div's in each Corps with 1 div in each being a Inf Brigade, Cav Brigade and Arty Battery (sort of a reserve formation).

Hancock was Johnny on the spot marching north with Chi, then south to me and then back to the north to Chi. Luckily the Rebs came at us with just enough time spacing to allow none of us to feel the full brunt of the Reb attack solo.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:44 am 
Corporal

That was fun and intense. Learned that I need to improve disengaging from active fire fight. Also, make sure I hit enter before sending a courier message.....and send the courier to the right commander. That would certainly improve the communication situation, eh?

Nefarious, would encourage you and anyone else interested to join in when you can. 2ndacr's OOB combined with random situation on the Alpine map provides real Civil War era combat and command/control experience like no other. Glad I tied in with these guys.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:04 am 
Sergeant Major

HancockTheSuperb wrote:
That was fun and intense. Learned that I need to improve disengaging from active fire fight. Also, make sure I hit enter before sending a courier message.....and send the courier to the right commander. That would certainly improve the communication situation, eh?

I think that we were all a bit rusty.

Your timing in shifting back and forth could not have been better IMHO.

I had trouble disengaging one of my arty batteries when AP Hill showed up. I was pulling my forces back to set up on better ground. The arty battery started to engage and I could not get them to disengage before the Reb lead inf elements came within rifle range.
3 arty pieces from that battery were routed before I could get the battery disengaged and pulled back.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:26 pm 
Corporal

Thanks for that. You both have save my ass on previous occasions.

I had two similar situations: 2 guns from one battery at some point just went awol from their commander. Would not move until I finally commanded each directly. The other situation would have been funny if you and I weren't trying to hold off AP Hill. I was micromanaging some regiments on the left when out of nowhere a limbered gun that had been on the Knob elevation (different battery from the 2) calmly cruised past me right towards Hill's attack. Not routed. I didn't even bother to catch it, too busy. No other guns did that.

Profile E-mail