Open all night
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Scourge this weekend
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:57 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3823
A big thanks to Chi and the Ripper for some good fun today. I learned a lesson about not focusing on the objective and spend some time scouting, particularly the flanks. Longstreet slipped in on my right around the end of the ridge. Fortunately, I had just ordered the div up to the top of the ridge including the artillery. As the infantry was in process, I could reverse and redeploy at the mid slop on the ridge with the artillery in place behind and with good line of sight. Not knowing whether it was just Longstreet or there were others behind, I decided to anchor and defend. As Chi details above, they came to the rescue. It was a great sight seeing them advance from behind me across the ridge to hit the reb artillery and from Longstreets rear left....first flags, then troops appear over the top of the ridge, then downhill in their rear. Had a great view. Wish I could have stayed with it, but had to drop at 3 hours. Can't wait to try again...a more educated participant this time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:45 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
To echo what Hancock said, we did deviate from the original objective.

When I saw that Reb forces had engaged him at the right end of the line we were on, I sensed an opportunity.

The Rebs had AP Hill planted at the game objective. That was a force of 16,000. I hoped that they would remain exactly where they were. We had 3 divisions, and if the Rebs were going to leave their largest division on the objective, we would have numerical superiority to deal with Longstreet.

We engaged as previously described, and came together to attack Longstreet's division. Huger's division showed up later, but for them, it was too little, too late.

Plans can change, and sometimes do.

As Clint Eastwood said in the movie Heartbreak Ridge: “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!”

It was a fun. Thanks to Ripper and Hancock for an enjoyable afternoon.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:18 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Yes. Great fun. Tiny bit of lag on our main advance but quite smooth during the fighting.

My division had already begun the planned Westward flanking move on the objective when a young Lt. rode up to me with a look of urgency. We were ordered to countermarch and attack the enemy which had fallen on General Hooker's division. I recalled Brigadier Seymore who was already nearly a mile west of my position in column. Brigadier Meade was ordered to move to the parallel ridge to our rear and to drive off or capture enemy artillery batteries on the enemy's left who were supporting the attack on Gen. Hooker. The remaining 3 batteries of the division were ordered to move to the same high ground and provide enfilade fire on the enemy.

Brigadiers Meade and Reynolds then moved West to East, helping to roll up the enemy's L flank and nearly enveloping the entire division. One flag was captured and more than twice as many casualties were inflicted on the enemy. No casualties were sustained among the senior officers although Brigadier Seymore did have some vexsome saddle blisters. I declined to inspect them, preferring to accept the opinion of the Divisional Surgeon. Notably, the ice cubes melted in my Bloody Mary while I was trying to reorient the division to attack.

Profile E-mail