maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin

Post subject: Who benefits from Immigration?
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:39 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 12603
Quote:
Who benefits from Immigration ?

Posted by Michael Kennedy on May 27th, 2013 (All posts by Michael Kennedy)

Post to Twitter Tweet This Post

The British seem to be discovering something about immigration that was obvious to many of us on this side of the Atlantic a long time ago.

The release of a previously unseen document suggested that Labour’s migration policy over the past decade had been aimed not just at meeting the country’s economic needs, but also the Government’s “social objectives”.

The paper said migration would “enhance economic growth” and made clear that trying to halt or reverse it could be “economically damaging”. But it also stated that immigration had general “benefits” and that a new policy framework was needed to “maximise” the contribution of migration to the Government’s wider social aims.

The Government has always denied that social engineering played a part in its migration policy.

However, the paper, which was written in 2000 at a time when immigration began to increase dramatically, said controls were contrary to its policy objectives and could lead to “social exclusion”.

Imagine that !

Last night, the Conservatives demanded an independent inquiry into the issue. It was alleged that the document showed that Labour had overseen a deliberate open-door ­policy on immigration to boost multi-culturalism.

Voting trends indicate that migrants and their descendants are much more likely to vote Labour.
(Continued)
http://chicagoboyz.net/archives/36299.html
Imagine that, wonder if our Dems have thought of that?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Who benefits from Immigration?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:04 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 3038
Immigrants do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:49 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 18648
Actually I did. My daughter would never have been born if I hadn't married my immigrant ex-wife. ;)

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:40 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15675
Yeah, I'm married to an immigrant too, so I guess I benefited. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:30 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 18648
Here's a few other immigrants that we have benefited from...

Quote:
Austrian neurologist Sigmund Freud has been voted the refugee who has made the most significant contribution to British life.

The founder of psychoanalysis, who created an entirely new approach to the understanding of the human personality, came top of the national poll with 50% of votes.

Freud fled to the UK to escape Nazi persecution. He is regarded as one of the most influential - and controversial - minds of the 20th century.

He was followed by German physicist Max Born, who gained 21% of votes. Born was awarded a Nobel Prize for his contribution to the development of quantum mechanics.

One in ten respondents (10%) cited the French refugee and writer of Les Miserables, Victor Hugo, who settled in the UK after fleeing persecution from Napoleon, as their first choice from a list of prominent refugees who have made a contribution to science and technology, the arts, culture and sport over the years.

The Britain Thinks poll coincides with the launch of Refugee Week 2013, a nationwide festival of events to celebrate the positive contribution that refugees have made to British society over the centuries under the theme Our History and Heritage.

More than 2,000 people who took part in the survey also thought that radar, developed in part by the Austrian scientist and refugee Hermann Bondi, was one of the 20th century inventions that had made the greatest contribution to British life.

The nation's long standing affection for fish and chips as a popular national dish, first introduced to the UK by French Protestant refugees and Jewish settlers from Portugal, received 17% of the vote followed closely by the high street department store M&S, co-founded by Russian refugee Michael Marks (11%).

An overwhelming majority (94%) believed that the full history of Britain, including the role the country has played in protecting refugees, should be taught in schools.

Chairman of Refugee Week Maurice Wren said: "From as early as the arrival of the Armenians who settled in this country during the 12th century, the UK has enjoyed a proud tradition of welcome for those seeking sanctuary. The results of the survey show the valuable contribution that refugees have made to British history and heritage. It is interesting to see that the great British public consistently rank science and technology inventions more highly than the equally positive contributions to British cultural and sporting life made more recently by refugees.'

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/sigmund-freud- ... ml#wqbWano

;)

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:10 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Who benefits?

Teachers in the UK teaching "English as a foreign language", that's who.

Quote:
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Lond ... n-Language

LEEDS SCHOOL TO TEACH ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE

A school in Leeds is to teach all its pupils English as a foreign language due to the huge number of non-native speakers.

City of Leeds School has pupils from more than 50 countries, with native English speakers a minority, and, according to the Daily Mail, is thought to be the first school to take this step.

The school's pupils come from 55 different countries and speak 50 different languages. Around 85 percent do not speak English as their native language.

Countries of origin include Afghanistan, India, China, Romania, Pakistan, Czech Republic and Poland. Teachers with foreign language skills in Czech, Romanian, Russian and other languages have been hired to teach the pupils.

There is evidence that the language situation is causing the pupils' education to suffer, with just 26 percent obtaining five GCSEs at grades A* to C, including Maths and English.

The school’s head teacher, Georgiana Sale, told the Mail: "Many of our pupils are not only new to English but they are not even literate in their own language.

"In some cases we are the first people to put a pen in their hand."
Andrew Carter, leader of the Conservative group on Leeds City Council, condemned the move: "I don't see how it's going to be of any use to these young people who will need to be employed to not have English as their first language," he said.

"To teach the national language as a foreign language seems to me to be almost throwing the towel in.

"The prime requisite of educating people of different nationalities who are currently living here and could be living here for the rest of their lives is they learn to speak English.

"It would appear to me that it is going to be a secondary consideration and it can't be."

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:18 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Lond ... in-Britain

Quote:
NOW CALAIS MIGRANTS DEMAND HOUSES, HYGIENE, THREE MEALS A DAY -- AND A LIFE IN BRITAIN

by M.E. SYNON 4 Jun 2014

Hundreds of migrants in Calais have written to the French authorities demanding to be allowed to travel to Britain "as soon as possible." Until they are allowed into the UK, they say, they should be given houses in Calais and freedom from police checks, according to a report in the Express.

The demands follow the clearance by police in riot gear of three migrant camps at Calais last week which had been set up by Syrians, Afghans, Iraqis and other migrants hoping to smuggle themselves onto a cross-Channel lorry or cling to a train through the Channel Tunnel for a new life in Britain. Authorities said the camps had to be bulldozed because of an outbreak of scabies.

Now, according to the Express, a group representing more than 1,000 migrants still living rough in the area has handed an open letter to Denis Robin, the local prefect, containing a series of demands to help speed their passage to the UK.

They want "houses in Calais with respectable hygiene, freedom from police checks, and three meals a day." They also want "negotiations between France and the United Kingdom" to ensure their arrival in Britain as soon as possible.

"We do not want to live like animals but as normal human beings," the letter says. The migrants demand "access to decent living conditions regardless of whether we are documented or not."

One migrant, Younes Sajadi, is quoted as saying: "This would be a sensible solution to our situation. We will never give up on our ambitions to get to Britain and so everybody would benefit if we could go there as soon as possible."

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:50 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15095
CNN:
Democratic Partisan interest to "use Immigration as a bludgeon topic against Republicans" has undermined the development of sensible immigration legislation and policy.

Wouldnt' have expected such a non-partisan piece from CNN, but then I guess since the author is more like a "hosted" voice and not someone they HIRED, they can kind of get away with not towing the partisan line.

Profile E-mail