maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin

Post subject: 39 bodies including 1 teen found in Essex lorry sparking mas
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:14 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10174799/ ... rry-grays/

Quote:
DEATH RIDDLE THIRTY-NINE bodies including 1 teen found in Essex lorry sparking mass murder probe
LATEST

Holly Christodoulou
23 Oct 2019, 11:12Updated: 23 Oct 2019, 11:58

COPS have launched one of the biggest mass murder probes in British history today after 39 bodies - including a teenager - were discovered in the back of a lorry in Essex.

The 25-year-old lorry driver, from Northern Ireland, has been arrested on suspicion of murder after the grisly discovery in an industrial park in Grays at 1.40am.

It is the biggest disaster of its kind since 2000, when 58 Chinese stowaways died in a lorry travelling by ferry from Belgium to Britain.

Experts say the container appears to be refrigerated - meaning temperatures can reach as low as -25C causing people to "lose their lives pretty quickly".

Road Haulage Association chief executive Richard Burnett said the conditions would be "absolutely horrendous" in the dark lorry.

He added: "The only place to go to the toilet is on board the back of the trailer. You can imagine if they've been in there for days then there will be faeces, there will be urine."

It is understood the lorry was from Bulgaria and entered the UK in Holyhead, Wales, on Saturday - with experts believing it came from Cherbourg, France, as the area has less security checks.

The lorry could have arrived at Rosslare, Ireland, before driving to Dublin where it got on the ferry to Holyhead before travelling through England.

An alarming report last year found people smugglers were targeting the Irish border as they saw it as a "weak point".

Migrants were taken from Calais and Dunkirk and flown to Dublin, from where they cross the Irish border and travel onwards to London.

'TRAGIC INCIDENT'

Local Tory MP Jackie Doyle-Price suggested people smugglers may be to blame for the tragedy - although police refused to confirm this.

She tweeted: "Sickening news of 39 people found dead in a container in Grays.

"People trafficking is a vile and dangerous business. This is a big investigation for @EssexPoliceUK

"Lets hope they bring these murderers to justice".

Police are now working to the identify the 38 adults and one teenager, who were declared dead at the scene.

Chief Superintendent Andrew Mariner said: "This is a tragic incident where a large number of people have lost their lives. Our enquiries are ongoing to establish what has happened."

Boris Johnson said he is "appalled by the tragic incident" this morning.

He said: "I am receiving regular updates and the Home Office will work closely with Essex Police as we establish exactly what has happened.

"My thoughts are with all those who lost their lives & their loved ones.”

Speaking at the scene today, Deputy Chief Constable Pippa Mills said the discovery was an “absolute tragedy” and appealed to anyone with any information to contact police.

'HORRIFYING NEWS'

Home Secretary Priti Patel tweeted: "Shocked & saddened by this utterly tragic incident in Grays. Essex Police has arrested an individual and we must give them the space to conduct their investigations."

DUP leader Arlene Foster has also tweeted about the tragedy.

She wrote: "Horrifying news coming from Essex this morning. Thinking of those who have impacted and their families during such a distressing time."

Paige Waide, who was driving home from work at 4.15am said she saw "blue flashing lights" as she made her way past the industrial park.

She added: "I knew it was serious because of how many police cars and ambulances were there, but the police had parked their cars across the whole access of the road so you couldn't see anything."

Britain's biggest murder probes

[snipped]

ROUTE OF THE LORRY

He believes the lorry could have travelled on a ferry from Cherbourg, France, to Rosslare, Ireland, before driving to Dublin and taking another ferry to Holyhead, North Wales.

Mr Burnett added: "It's highly unlikely that if this vehicle has come from Europe that it's been physically checked.

"Because of the migrant issue at Dover and Calais, you've got far more checks that are taking place there. You've got heartbeat monitors, you've got dogs, you've got CO2. Those checks are done as you drive through.

"If this is somebody trying to smuggle a significant number of people through then maybe Cherbourg has been picked because it's a little easier to get through."

Seamus Leheny, Northern Ireland policy manager for the Freight Transport Association (FTA), said it is believed the lorry would have entered Holyhead from Dublin.

Continued at above linked article

Quote:
Mr Burnett added: "It's highly unlikely that if this vehicle has come from Europe that it's been physically checked.

"Because of the migrant issue at Dover and Calais, you've got far more checks that are taking place there. You've got heartbeat monitors, you've got dogs, you've got CO2. Those checks are done as you drive through.

"If this is somebody trying to smuggle a significant number of people through then maybe Cherbourg has been picked because it's a little easier to get through."

Seamus Leheny, Northern Ireland policy manager for the Freight Transport Association (FTA), said it is believed the lorry would have entered Holyhead from Dublin.

So the route to England came THRU Ireland, not as a result of a direct France --->UK crossing.

Haven't I repeatedly heard from the Remain supporters how important it is to keep the border checks between Ireland and the UK (particularly the Northern Ireland portion) to a minimum?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 39 bodies including 1 teen found in Essex lorry sparking
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:15 am 
Sergeant Major

This incident seems to be at the center of Prime Minister's Question Time this morning in Parliament.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:05 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18687
How does on travel "by lorry" from Cherbourg to Ireland? Lorry on a ferry? That "Chunnel" stuff just connects via the short-route around Calais-Dover right?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:28 am 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
How does on travel "by lorry" from Cherbourg to Ireland? Lorry on a ferry? That "Chunnel" stuff just connects via the short-route around Calais-Dover right?

It does but I presume what happened is that the lorry was shipped by ferry (or the container itself by freighter) from mainland Europe to Ireland, then ferried from Ireland to Wales (the UK).

That is all subject to further investigation to determine exactly what happened....it's still early on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:27 am 
First Sergeant

chijohnaok wrote:
This incident seems to be at the center of Prime Minister's Question Time this morning in Parliament.

It's one of the biggest murder probes in British history so it will be a talking point.

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:41 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19050
It arrived somewhere in Wales I think and made it to Essex before being found out.

Well. It kinda proves the point that not everything is checked at the border!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:46 am 
First Sergeant

chijohnaok wrote:
So the route to England came THRU Ireland, not as a result of a direct France --->UK crossing.

According to the BBC it's not clear if the lorry went through Ireland...

Quote:
Police believe the vehicle travelled from Zeebrugge, Belgium, into Purfleet on the River Thames.

It docked in the Thurrock area shortly after 00:30, Reuters News Agency reported.

However the Irish Prime Minister has said investigations will be undertaken to determine if it passed through Ireland.

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:55 am 
Sergeant Major

Mac wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

According to the BBC it's not clear if the lorry went through Ireland...

Quote:
Police believe the vehicle travelled from Zeebrugge, Belgium, into Purfleet on the River Thames.

It docked in the Thurrock area shortly after 00:30, Reuters News Agency reported.

However the Irish Prime Minister has said investigations will be undertaken to determine if it passed through Ireland.

Well, that would contradict what was stated in the article that I linked to in my original post...and it would also contradict what I was hearing from the government minister (didn't get her name) during Prime Minister's Q&A..

I did say though
Quote:
That is all subject to further investigation to determine exactly what happened....it's still early on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:09 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18687
So, was this likely just a botch of an attempted people smuggling operation, or does it seem like it was actual intentional mass murder? The latter seems really bizarre.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:41 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
So, was this likely just a botch of an attempted people smuggling operation, or does it seem like it was actual intentional mass murder? The latter seems really bizarre.

My guess is that it was a botched human smuggling op.

But we will probably know better in a few days once the authorities have had a chance to do some investigating.

Profile E-mail