maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin

Post subject: Our oldest friends
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:04 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19050
No, it's not Finland.

Quote:
The Portuguese have published something of a love letter to the British, playing down the “uncertainty” which Brexit may bring and assuring them they will always be “#Brelcome” in Portugal.
The video by Visit Portugal, which promotes tourism in the Iberian country for the Portuguese government, begins “Dear Britons, Life is about uncertainty. No-one knows what tomorrow brings until tomorrow rises. That’s just the way it is.

“But what we do know is that whatever happens in the future, nothing will break us apart. We are part of each other’s history.”

Portugal and England — and subsequently the United Kingdom, after the Act of Union in 1707 — enjoy probably the longest-standing alliance in the world, dating back to at least 1386 and the Anglo-Portuguese Treaty of Windsor between King John I of Portugal and King Richard II of England.

It is arguable that this treaty merely formalised a friendship dating back hundreds of years before even that, however, to the Siege of Lisbon in 1147, when English crusaders helped to liberate what is now the Portuguese capital from the Muslim Moors.

“Together, we shaped the course of the world,” the Portuguese video reminds viewers.

“Let’s not forget, we have the oldest prevailing alliance that any country has ever known… Brexit may be the word of the day, but from us you will always be hearing #Brelcome,” it concludes.

“Portugal will never leave you.”

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2019/0 ... certainty/

Okay, it's just because they don't want to lose all those British tourists who visit the Algarve every year, but even so... wipes away a tear

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Our oldest friends
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:26 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18687
Awww, good to see that old Love Affair is till simmering :)
Portugal-United Kingdom relations/History

I always enjoyed these kinds of political/geographic relations in Civilization games! :mrgreen: SOOOO! recurrent throughout Earth history, it is stunning there isn't some sort of name for it . . . "Team Up on the Strong Boi in Between," or something . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 807
EUBanana wrote:
No, it's not Finland.

Quote:
The Portuguese have published something of a love letter to the British, playing down the “uncertainty” which Brexit may bring and assuring them they will always be “#Brelcome” in Portugal.
The video by Visit Portugal, which promotes tourism in the Iberian country for the Portuguese government, begins “Dear Britons, Life is about uncertainty. No-one knows what tomorrow brings until tomorrow rises. That’s just the way it is.

“But what we do know is that whatever happens in the future, nothing will break us apart. We are part of each other’s history.”

Portugal and England — and subsequently the United Kingdom, after the Act of Union in 1707 — enjoy probably the longest-standing alliance in the world, dating back to at least 1386 and the Anglo-Portuguese Treaty of Windsor between King John I of Portugal and King Richard II of England.

It is arguable that this treaty merely formalised a friendship dating back hundreds of years before even that, however, to the Siege of Lisbon in 1147, when English crusaders helped to liberate what is now the Portuguese capital from the Muslim Moors.

“Together, we shaped the course of the world,” the Portuguese video reminds viewers.

“Let’s not forget, we have the oldest prevailing alliance that any country has ever known… Brexit may be the word of the day, but from us you will always be hearing #Brelcome,” it concludes.

“Portugal will never leave you.”

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2019/0 ... certainty/

Okay, it's just because they don't want to lose all those British tourists who visit the Algarve every year, but even so... wipes away a tear

I could care less about Algarve. Madeira is my Portugal.

Walked Curral das Freiras levada to Funchal 1989.

:mrgreen:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:28 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19050
Anthropoid wrote:
Awww, good to see that old Love Affair is till simmering :)
Portugal-United Kingdom relations/History

I always enjoyed these kinds of political/geographic relations in Civilization games! :mrgreen: SOOOO! recurrent throughout Earth history, it is stunning there isn't some sort of name for it . . . "Team Up on the Strong Boi in Between," or something . . .

The enemy of my enemy is my friend? ;)

A mutual desire to stuff the Spanish kept that friendship going over the centuries.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:33 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 20000
Our oldest ally. They are fucking twats to live with though.

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:52 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18687
Mac wrote:
Our oldest ally. They are fucking twats to live with though.

*Pout*
We Yanks are nothing but your oldest teenage offspring, who torched the family car and said FUK EWE! I'M MOVIN OWT! when we reached ~16

But like Twain said: "When I was 16 my old man was an idiot . . . by the time I turned 21 he had learned a lot."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:50 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 3288
Interesting, and posting this to run the boards on 11Bravo

Profile E-mail