maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16550
nero wrote:
EUBanana wrote:
Another scan today, another tale.

I pretty much understand, but employers insurance does not cover all. Not you.

I have seen it, have been there. I owe my live to public sector cutters.

:(

Over here when it comes to cancer at least, private insurance cannot beat it, I have discovered. I actually have it, and for The Big C at least it's basically 'we cover it all'. Doesn't matter, as the NHS does too. If you get into the priority lane of the NHS, which must be quite narrow with not many in the country in it bar my lucky self, its scans next day stuff.

It's kinda funny because while i've been suffering with my own hideous ailment my friends have been suffering with a few lesser ones of their own. Kidney stones, my mate had last week. no joke. they treated him abominably. He barely even got painkillers, and apparently the stone might have scarred something on the way out, lucky him. There ain't no money for kidney stones here, apparently. Probably why most people think the NHS sucks, because that's more the sort of thing you see than the really serious shit which is quite rare.

As I told them, sorry. I have all the moneys and star trek treatments. ;)

... I still got tons of wulfirs gifts here. Crazy. The salty liquorice choc went down a storm at work btw, they've already been trained in the ways of salmiakki with all my bringing it back. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:34 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 720
EUBanana wrote:

Over here when it comes to cancer at least, private insurance cannot beat it, I have discovered. I actually have it, and for The Big C at least it's basically 'we cover it all'. Doesn't matter, as the NHS does too. If you get into the priority lane of the NHS, which must be quite narrow with not many in the country in it bar my lucky self, its scans next day stuff.

It's kinda funny because while i've been suffering with my own hideous ailment my friends have been suffering with a few lesser ones of their own. Kidney stones, my mate had last week. no joke. they treated him abominably. He barely even got painkillers, and apparently the stone might have scarred something on the way out, lucky him. There ain't no money for kidney stones here, apparently. Probably why most people think the NHS sucks, because that's more the sort of thing you see than the really serious shit which is quite rare.

As I told them, sorry. I have all the moneys and star trek treatments. ;)

... I still got tons of wulfirs gifts here. Crazy. The salty liquorice choc went down a storm at work btw, they've already been trained in the ways of salmiakki with all my bringing it back. :lol:

The Death Panel, the Triage chose you to be saved. ;)

You are healthy and young enough. I completely understand the logic. You are worthy. :lol:

You were somewhat critical towards the NHS previously if my memory serves me right. And you were praising to new Swedish system and the right to choose. But how much to choose you have? In your condition people in Sweden can not choose, they are on the public system.

Think about living in the US. ;)

PS. Salmiakki... :!:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:17 am 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:
You were somewhat critical towards the NHS previously if my memory serves me right. And you were praising to new Swedish system and the right to choose. But how much to choose you have? In your condition people in Sweden can not choose, they are on the public system.

As I said, I've never had a truly bad experience with them personally.

My issue with the NHS is that it's a sacred cow. It is not the best healthcare service in the world, it can brook some improvement. It's also unique, nobody else is rushing to copy us - probably because unlike us they can see it's issues. I mean if it was so good how come nobody else does it that way? Seems iffy. No sacred cows.

It's not a case of throwing more money at it either, Tony Blair threw more money at it. Now it costs more, the outcomes are no better really. It's a bureaucracy. The needs of the bureaucracy will expand to cover the needs of the expanding bureaucracy. ;) And believe me, it really is. I am routinely deluged with forms. Communications seems really bad. Everybody I met has railed against government IT, etc.

I mention the Swedish system because I actually read a case study on it a long time ago, during the Blair years, when I worked as a data monkey for the guys who amongst other things audit the NHS's performance. (So the knowledge I have of it now is probably woefully out of date, but I recall the point of the study was that it was extremely decentralised, while the NHS is the exact opposite). This was when various reforms were being discussed. Naturally that's not gonna get beyond the pages of a study, because...

...thing is reforming it is nigh on impossible because it's achieved a near religious status in the UK now, even though for most people it's just a bit shit, really. That cannot be a good thing. And because its one single massive government department - it's still like the third biggest employer in the world I think? it's a political football too, distorting everything. A system in that sort of stasis isn't going to last. A system which has crypto-communists drooling over it and using it as ammo isn't going to last either, not when they brook absolutely zero deviation from the accepted doctrine - which the activists probably don't even get anyway because, essentially, religious mania, it's just a symbol at this point to them.

I thought you didn't like dogmatists. So surely you see my point.

Quote:
Think about living in the US. ;)

See thats just beating with sticks. The US system is extremely expensive, that seems to be because they are lawyered up to me. Lawyers are the devil.

But even there. Its not NHS or USA. There are a lot of ideas out there in the world. None of which will ever be considered here. And that's sad.

Quote:
PS. Salmiakki... :!:

An acquired taste, I used to buy it as a joke. I am a troll, bringing back the vilest of foods for my co-workers.

Then everybody acquired the taste. :lol:

Quote:
I have seen it, have been there. I owe my live to public sector cutters.

Sounds like a story to me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:30 am 
Sergeant Major

This is what I got.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1185571/

Apparently I’m one of 2-4% of stage 4 kidney cancers. At the mildest of ends, as much as this thing is mild. Like having mild Ebola, ha. I guess that’s why they changed their mind on treating me.

... still looks pretty shit to me frankly but hey I take what I can get.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:41 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Thanks for the update.

Keep searching for that silver lining...

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:16 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228
Quote:
Lodi Man Gets Second Chance At Life When Brain Tumor Vanishes Without Surgery
By Carlos Correa November 9, 2018 at 5:41 pmFiled Under:brain tumor, Lodi
(Continued)
https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/11 ... ain-tumor/
Don't give up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:49 pm 
Sergeant Major

Oh not giving up. It’s early days yet.

There’s always a slim chance - a tiny percentage survive the most horrible things, even without treatment. And I’m being treated, and how, so the medics think I’m in with a chance.

Thanks for the thoughts and concern, though - it means a lot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:41 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15961
Hoping for the best for you man.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10