maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:28 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 720
chijohnaok wrote:
EUBanana wrote:
Actually my boss wound me up by showing me the stats for where I am in the country, I think I might have mentioned this before. My area apparently scores dead last.

The report he showed me included some average waiting times. Which again bear no relationship whatsoever to my personal experiences. For whatever reason - age I guess? It's super uncommon for my age. I seem to be the highest priority they have.

Guess the death panel worked out, in spades. For me it was a 'throw everything we got at at him!' panel.

Meanwhile some "oldie" was advanced to the 'soylent green' queue. ;-)

(was that in poor taste? If so, I apologize)

Triage, not poor taste.

But nothing like that happens in US where unlimited resources are allocated for healthcare.

But that's fact of life.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:40 pm 
Sergeant Major

EUBanana wrote:
nero wrote:
Was it Daily Mail or Al Guardian?

And I really hope that the article is just a hoax.

BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45508622

Actually just before it seems.

Either way. I was thinking about it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My MRI scans have literally been next day.

What were waiting times during halcyon times the NHS? :lol:

But then I thing NHS is a good investment on the national level. More fair and cost effective than the private alternatives.

Am I completely wrong, but I have an impression that privatus practicus establishments work under the NHS? At least I get the idea from the telly.

But then the doctors are in UK are not as rich as the US ones. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16550
nero wrote:
Am I completely wrong, but I have an impression that privatus practicus establishments work under the NHS? At least I get the idea from the telly.

But then the doctors are in UK are not as rich as the US ones. :roll:

I actually do have private insurance as well as part of my job.

For what I have though, it basically is not an improvement on the NHS for me. They do some ancillary stuff for me, like I get paid whenever I'm in a hospital now. All these outpatient trips are worth £100 on the insurance, which is nice. Big wedge of cash if I end up in a hospice, better than nothing. Already getting about £750 out of them for the week I was in an inpatient ward. 'Every little helps...'. Money's always nice, so I'm not complaining, but its not exactly the main event. It'll keep the curries coming to the bitter end anyway.

As far as care, they tell me I am covered for basically anything - scans, drugs, operations - but unless we're talking using drugs the NHS will not use (and in truth, if it is proven to help you, the NHS wil use it without much fear of cost it seems, so thats a non-issue unless you want to go into the clinical trial, semi-tested murk of the desperate frontier of oncology) there's no queue to jump, so I'm not getting better care than anybody else would. I'm simply not using the private option because there's no need. Might save me the death panel reassessment when the thing spreads perhaps and let me go on to the bitter end absorbing cash, but. I kinda assume if they say its terminal, its terminal, and not just because they wanna stop spending money on me. They are certainly spending it right now, on my slim odds ass.

If I had a lesser ailment, it would make more of a difference. Probably would've skipped me that 18 month gallstone waiting list maybe that I was on ten years ago.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:12 pm 
Sergeant Major

chijohnaok wrote:
Meanwhile some "oldie" was advanced to the 'soylent green' queue. ;-)

Yeah, that's basically what happened, I'm sure. I'm most certainly responsible for someone else's MRI being delayed, I figure. And probably a lot else actually given the sheer number of medics who seem to be on my case, the amount of resources being hurled at me. Like I said I even have the local mental health team crawling up my ass (told em i'm fine, not necessary yet!), and past experience with the other half, who had bulimia for a while, tells me that mental health services are most definitely a scarce resource.

But yeah... economic scarcity. And an imperfect world.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

Another scan today, another tale.

I rocked up on time, 'scanner is broken, two hour delay. Sorry.'

This actually pleased me immensely. It's like back to the familiar, the sort of working but a bit of a ballache. I don't like all this attention, it sort of reminds me WHY I'm getting this attention and this alternative universe, and I'm trying not to think of that. I like normal. Thats why I went back to work right away.

So off i go to the coffee shop next door, intent on Netflix and a base camp of paninis. Ten minutes later, they phone me up. Fixed. So I rock back to the radiotherapists, and I'm talking Germanic. Fucking. Efficiency. "Have you done this before?". "Yup, I know the drill. And I'm not claustrophobic. Magnetise me!". They obliged. I don't think I've ever had a procedure so fast, by the numbers, and professional. Back in weird high priority land alright. 20 minutes later I'm wandering around reception slightly dazed and a bit worried again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15961
I must've had 20 or 30 of those scans over the years. Strangely loud for such a "high-tech" device eh!?

Picture in your mind: 10 years hence, you've been downgraded to once per year scans for 3 years now and you're going in for your last one, the one where they tell you "You're cured!"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:52 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
Picture in your mind: 10 years hence, you've been downgraded to once per year scans for 3 years now and you're going in for your last one, the one where they tell you "You're cured!"

Alas, I do not allow myself that luxury. I've kinda convinced myself into being accepting of about a two year lifespan at this point, which seems as good a guess as any from digging around. Its about the average. It's actually surprisingly easy to go from being responsible and thinking about the future, to creating an event horizon ahead of you beyond which you no longer care. I guess that's human nature for you. I do stuff like look at my bank card and think, "Well, don't have to worry about this expiring anymore.". Savings, yeah, not anymore.

I don't think my prognosis exactly warrants optimism, and I'd rather keep it real. Shit creek sort of real. Gimme some Epictetus, that's what helps me. "Sick and yet happy, in peril and yet happy, dying and yet happy, in exile and happy, in disgrace and happy".

I guess I'm a glutton for misery, probably why I still bother reading what Treason May is up to. Though obviously if shit creek doesn't happen then I will grasp with both hands, so lets not confuse acceptance with collapse, nobody would be happier with 20 years of radio silence from the cthulhoid entity within me than me.

Speaking of grasping with both hands, got gamma knifed today. My head was so big the mask didn't fit. My brain was so big they couldn't fit the whole thing onto one scan. :lol: :lol: :lol: The technicians were like wtf, we're not equipped to gamma ray giants. Apparently they are though because they just took multiple scans, image composited them together, and made a special mask out of thermoset plastic just for me. All done in a morning. NHS has plenty of resources when it comes to the big guns it seems, I was impressed. I bet ten years ago they wouldn't be able to do that.

The radiology mask I now have downstairs as a memento because I'm apparently that fucking crazy now that I want souvenirs of all this stuff. Looks like something Hannibal Lecter would wear so Halloween gear is sorted from now on. Fate was tempted because I wore my lucky shirt to the big day ( The one that has a d20 on it rolling a 1, and 'Crit Happens').

And on top of that. Went to the usual Friday night pub trip with colleagues tonight and dared a bit more booze than normal. All went well so far, no headaches right now. 24 grays of radiation to my evil brain in the morning, and 3 pints of alcohol to the good brain in the evening, that's probably some sort of achievement, "Nukular Friday Night Out" or something.

Life definitely being lived, anyway.

Bonus of the treatment today, they are cutting my steroids out, so if all goes well in 2 weeks time I won't be addled on drugs anymore, so immediate quality of life improvement. They are pretty confident evil brain is gonna die too after 24 grays of radiation, though it'll take months. Evil brain was never the main event though so it doesn't really stir me that much, though the symptoms improving and no drugs is obviously a win I'm more than happy to collect. Nothing further medical interventionwise on the horizon until my radical nephrectomy (... gulp) in a month or so. I'm really putting that out of mind. The fun ends when the cutting starts, I figure. Means I'll be shutting up about this for a while anyway and enjoying four weeks of boring, mundane, blessed reality, and just ignoring it all. Back to the job, not to mention the feasting and the gaming. Hopefully minus the steroids the feasting won't be quite so ... damaging.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

Oh and while doing all this I get to see other cancer patients.

My situation is so laughably easy compared to how some have it, it boggles the mind. Of course, that's mainly because I'm at the start of the road, and others are at the end. I guess, anyway.

There was a lady getting gamma knifed with me who had major brain surgery, and basically had no skull across half of her head as a result. As in, 'proper uncanned', that sort of brain surgery. They had to do all sorts to gamma ray her, as you have to be so securely anchored. And her skull was not in a fit state to anchor anything.

... And she was claustrophobic. Believe me, that can't have been fun for her.

So I'm basically a pansy even complaining.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15961
Your bravery is inspiring.

Say hi to Cthulu for me when you see him! :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

EUBanana wrote:
Another scan today, another tale.

I pretty much understand, but employers insurance does not cover all. Not you.

I have seen it, have been there. I owe my live to public sector cutters.

:(

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next