maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:58 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 15902
Reputation points: 720
EUBanana wrote:
...
More worried about Brexit. The UK will still be here when I'm not. Maybe I'm crazy. :lol:

Still alive and kicking. I hope we can argue the effects of the brexit, if it ever happens, during next ten years at least. ;)

The other thing I have noticed that your criticism about the NHS is not so much present any more. I remember that you praised the Swedish system where the money follows the patient, didn't you?

Take care.

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:06 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 11580
Reputation points: 16550
nero wrote:
The other thing I have noticed that your criticism about the NHS is not so much present any more. I remember that you praised the Swedish system where the money follows the patient, didn't you?


One of my hard core left wing mates put up a post on Facebook today about how the NHS has been 'crippled by the Tories'. I didn't reply. Because Facebook is a shit place to argue politics. But from my PoV, it is far from crippled in my anecdotal experience.

Thing is. I'm aware I'm very fortunate. They've made me a priority, and holy shit. I've seen what that means. And I'm impressed. I'm aware that's just me, though, basically an anecdote. Obviously an anecdote when it's as personal as this is gonna have an impact, so yeah, my opinion of the NHS has fairly understandably shot up this last month. It's hard to criticise, when I'm buried under largesse and what seems to me right now to be surely the best healthcare response anybody could reasonably ask for.

On the other hand. Fact is the NHS is fairly low on the international league tables. Rational brain therefore tells me it's not beyond criticism. Yeah, the Swedish system seems to be better, a few others too. We should learn. Sure, I'm clearly very well looked after, but it's not all about me and the fact that for me, waiting times apparently don't exist.

Perhaps... more muted criticism though from me in the near future. ;)

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:37 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 11580
Reputation points: 16550
Oh bear in mind, if you want NHS horror stories... you know the death panel thing, that's what the American lurid stories about the NHS bring up sometimes? Probably the most anti-NHS line I've seen from American critics.

Essentially that's real. I had my own death panel. The first doctor to talk to me about this, and what's gonna happen, basically laid it down. They had a big meeting coming up to weigh my odds and decide my future, and the doctor who told me about that, said she thought it fairly unlikely they would choose to operate at all, given what I had - that she was really sorry but that's how she thought it would work out. Straight to palliative only - I think I might have mentioned it, earlier in the thread, closer to when it actually happened.

Turned out the decided they would operate, so I've been vectored into a slightly different and more optimistic reality. ( One day, I might well be re-vectored back into a rather shittier world of course, after this thing spreads, and the medical calculus changes, because really, I'm not in an optimistic place at the end of the day. My guinea pigs officially have a longer likely lifespan than I do. ).

Personally. I'm not bothered by this. There's no point doing things if there's no benefit. And 'death panel' is a sensationalist term, I mean at the end of the day the medical professionals have to pass some sort of judgment on this, right? How else can it work? They aren't going to throw public money into a black hole, so obviously at some point someone has to make a professional judgment on whether to offer treatment or not.

But I mean it's real enough, there's a kernel of truth there, you might just end up on the scrapheap with no alternative. I've experienced it personally now. Maybe some find a healthcare system that does that horrifying. I could understand why. I just kinda assume it works like that everywhere on some level because the bottom line is that the medical science we have can't fix any problem, and we live with the concept of economic scarcity so some level of prioritisation is unavoidable. In this case, prioritisation by some medical professionals/bureaucrats.

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:42 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 15902
Reputation points: 720
EUBanana wrote:
Yeah, the Swedish system seems to be better, a few others too. We should learn.
...

The Swedish healthcare spending increased some 25% and gave more freedom on choice in biggest cities. Kind of creating an unequal two stairs system with higher price tag. How much better is that?

In Finland this healthcare reform is quite actual, the current coalition is trying to get its horse trade through before the election next April, but the fortunately time runs up. The horse trade is a combination of privatisation and mid level governance reform. A deal made by the major coalition parties. :twisted:

In the discussion Sweden has been an example how not to reform the healthcare. And no surprise in last general election healthcare was the main topic in the election, not immigration. Ask wulfir. ;)

But then the statistics I have seen the NHS is quite high, especially when adjusted to funding. ;)

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:45 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 15902
Reputation points: 720
EUBanana wrote:
Oh bear in mind, if you want NHS horror stories... you know the death panel thing, that's what the American lurid stories about the NHS bring up sometimes? Probably the most anti-NHS line I've seen from American critics.

Essentially that's real. I had my own death panel. The first doctor to talk to me about this, and what's gonna happen, basically laid it down. They had a big meeting coming up to weigh my odds and decide my future, and the doctor who told me about that, said she thought it fairly unlikely they would choose to operate at all, given what I had - that she was really sorry but that's how she thought it would work out. Straight to palliative only - I think I might have mentioned it, earlier in the thread, closer to when it actually happened.

Turned out the decided they would operate, so I've been vectored into a slightly different and more optimistic reality. ( One day, I might well be re-vectored back into a rather shittier world of course, after this thing spreads, and the medical calculus changes, because really, I'm not in an optimistic place at the end of the day. My guinea pigs officially have a longer likely lifespan than I do. ).

Personally. I'm not bothered by this. There's no point doing things if there's no benefit. And 'death panel' is a sensationalist term, I mean at the end of the day the medical professionals have to pass some sort of judgment on this, right? How else can it work? They aren't going to throw public money into a black hole, so obviously at some point someone has to make a professional judgment on whether to offer treatment or not.

But I mean it's real enough, there's a kernel of truth there, you might just end up on the scrapheap with no alternative. I've experienced it personally now. Maybe some find a healthcare system that does that horrifying. I could understand why. I just kinda assume it works like that everywhere on some level because the bottom line is that the medical science we have can't fix any problem, and we live with the concept of economic scarcity so some level of prioritisation is unavoidable. In this case, prioritisation by some medical professionals/bureaucrats.

In the US they don't need death panels, it is all determined how much your insurance covers. No insurance, toughus luckus. :(

See the difference?

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 11580
Reputation points: 16550
nero wrote:
But then the statistics I have seen the NHS is quite high, especially when adjusted to funding. ;)


Funnily enough right after my diagnosis there was a big article in the news about how the NHS's results in treating cancer are absolutely dire. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fortunately doesn't appear to apply in my case.

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:18 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 15902
Reputation points: 720
EUBanana wrote:
nero wrote:
But then the statistics I have seen the NHS is quite high, especially when adjusted to funding. ;)


Funnily enough right after my diagnosis there was a big article in the news about how the NHS's results in treating cancer are absolutely dire. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fortunately doesn't appear to apply in my case.

The first thing as is where this article was, who published it. Tell me. ;)

Was it Daily Mail or Al Guardian?

And I really hope that the article is just a hoax.

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:28 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 11580
Reputation points: 16550
nero wrote:
Was it Daily Mail or Al Guardian?

And I really hope that the article is just a hoax.


BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45508622

Actually just before it seems.

Either way. I was thinking about it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My MRI scans have literally been next day.

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:36 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 11580
Reputation points: 16550
Actually my boss wound me up by showing me the stats for where I am in the country, I think I might have mentioned this before. My area apparently scores dead last.

The report he showed me included some average waiting times. Which again bear no relationship whatsoever to my personal experiences. For whatever reason - age I guess? It's super uncommon for my age. I seem to be the highest priority they have.

Guess the death panel worked out, in spades. For me it was a 'throw everything we got at at him!' panel.

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:04 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 31315
Location: West coast of the east coast
Reputation points: 20000
EUBanana wrote:
Actually my boss wound me up by showing me the stats for where I am in the country, I think I might have mentioned this before. My area apparently scores dead last.

The report he showed me included some average waiting times. Which again bear no relationship whatsoever to my personal experiences. For whatever reason - age I guess? It's super uncommon for my age. I seem to be the highest priority they have.

Guess the death panel worked out, in spades. For me it was a 'throw everything we got at at him!' panel.


Meanwhile some "oldie" was advanced to the 'soylent green' queue. ;-)

(was that in poor taste? If so, I apologize)

_________________
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group