Brain tumour

All things British. Kidney Pie, Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash

Moderator: chijohnaok

Forum rules
Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin
EUBanana
Sergeant Major

Re: Brain tumour

#181 Post by EUBanana » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Immunotherapy in 8 weeks btw. It's not actually approved by the NHS yet.

It will be... in 8 weeks. :lol: talk about right on the cutting edge, at least of British healthcare. There are other immunotherapies the NHS does provide already but my oncologist thinks this new one is the one to go for, with the best results.

( Best results, wots that then? Well, immunotherapy is very random at the moment. Seems like from peeking at studies its about a 25% chance it works really well and you get as they say a 'durable remission', a 25% it helps a bit, and a 50% chance it does bugger all. I guess... for cancer that's a pretty good success chance?

In the meantime I got to get off the steroids because immunotherapy (which boosts the immune system) and steroids (which do the opposite) don't mix, so that eight weeks delay will be put to good use. Apparently if i can't get off them it's not the end of the world, as they can switch steroid to a less fierce one than the one I'm on right now.

Also they want to do some time lapse scans of my femur and the cancer there to assess how quickly it's growing - apparently renal cancer is weird, and when you take out the primary site, ie the kidney, the other metastases often slow their growth. Which seems to be the case for the other tiny lil bits they found in me here and there. They also said that after the surgery the total amount of cancer in me, which is an important metric, is actually pretty low. Not many cells left I... guess the prognosis right now at least is actually pretty good, when tempered with the fact that the disease overall is about as shit as it gets anyway. 50% die in year 1 apparently, I don't think that's gonna be me though.

Just as well. 7 months in already. Time flies....
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti

nero
Sergeant Major

#182 Post by nero » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:50 pm

EUBanana wrote: ...
Just as well. 7 months in already. Time flies....
Criticize NHS a little. Just to comfort the Americans. ;)
A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

11Bravo
Staff Sergeant

#183 Post by 11Bravo » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:51 am

I am a lousy friend. Glad you are doing well.
Would an ape make a human doll that TALKS?

EUBanana
Sergeant Major

#184 Post by EUBanana » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:04 am

Just got out of hospital from the first immunotherapy dose.

"For a single dose of immunotherapy, the average wholesale price (AWP) from RED BOOK™ in 2015 for a 70kg patient was $5,732 for nivolumab, $33,162 for ipilimumab, and $35,073 for combination therapy.".

Getting my tax rebate now, I think the NHS pays half the above but still, thats not exactly cheap.

Not much to say. Two drips, 30 minutes each, a lot of paperwork and consent forms to sign. My liver might explode now, or I might shit myself to death. Or nothing, not everybody has side effects, most don't apparently.

Hope it works. 50/50
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major
Location: marching home to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzVYCs4BMY]Erica[/url]

#185 Post by Anthropoid » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:18 am

Wishing you well, hoping for the best, fingers crossed and May the Force be With you!

nero
Sergeant Major

#186 Post by nero » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:47 pm

EUBanana wrote:Just got out of hospital from the first immunotherapy dose.

"For a single dose of immunotherapy, the average wholesale price (AWP) from RED BOOK™ in 2015 for a 70kg patient was $5,732 for nivolumab, $33,162 for ipilimumab, and $35,073 for combination therapy.".

Getting my tax rebate now, I think the NHS pays half the above but still, thats not exactly cheap.

Not much to say. Two drips, 30 minutes each, a lot of paperwork and consent forms to sign. My liver might explode now, or I might shit myself to death. Or nothing, not everybody has side effects, most don't apparently.

Hope it works. 50/50
Godspeed.

PS. I know that you are not religious, and neither am I. But what else can I say. Good luck.
A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

LaPalice
Staff Sergeant

#187 Post by LaPalice » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:37 pm

Again I wish the best for you. Thank you for the informations you give us.

Mac
First Sergeant

#188 Post by Mac » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:38 pm

Wishing the best of British to you mate.
I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#189 Post by chijohnaok » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:50 pm

Good luck on your treatments Banana.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

EUBanana
Sergeant Major

#190 Post by EUBanana » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:09 am

Well, the initial phase of the immunotherapy is finished now. So I got some scans to assess if it worked or not.

And... it did! tumours shrinking, some gone. Given less than half of patients respond to it that's pretty lucky - in the Orwell sense (shot in the throat he was told he was lucky to be alive, he replied if he was really lucky he wouldn't have been shot in the first place).

All hail Bristol Myers Squibb and US pharmaceutical imports. Nobody knows how long it'll last because the drugs are so new there are no long term studies available, but a couple of years at least it seems unless something springs a serious leak immune system wise (which might happen).
Gaff had been there, and let her live. Four
years, he figured. He was wrong. Tyrell had told me Rachael was
special: no termination date. I didn't know how long we had together.
Who does?