maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:51 pm 
Honorary Texan

Reputation points: 8023
chijohnaok wrote:
Back in the 1970's my grandfather had Esophageal cancer.
He underwent surgery--they removed part of his esophagus, 'lifted" his stomach, and replaced the removed portion of the esophagus with a portion of his intestine.
He underwent chemo, the cancer disappeared, but the chemo took a terrible toll on him (he had lost alot of weight, his hair, and his taste buds/appetite had been all but ruined).
About 6 months to a year later he went in for a follow up checkup.
The cancer had returned and had spread to his lymph nodes---not a good thing.
Doctors recommended that he undergo chemo again.
My grandfather refused to undergo chemo again. He didn't want to suffer through the chemo again. (My grandfather could be a very stubborn man when he wanted to).

(now this is where it gets strange)
Grandfather had read about some alternate medicine treatment in some German herbal/natural cure magazine.
I don't recall the exact 'remedy' but it was something like orally ingesting a set dosage of distilled petroleum--I think kerosene)
I found a couple web articles regarding this:
https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/ques ... ure-cancer
https://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/d ... for-cancer

My grandfather got the distilled petroleum through the mail from somewhere in Germany, and took the "dosage".
Some months later he went back to his doctor for a follow up visit, they ran some tests---the cancer that had come back so aggressively had disappeared.

NOW, I AM IN NO WAY ADVOCATING THIS AS A TREATMENT/CURE, etc.

What some in our family think happened was that my grandfather was confident that this 'remedy' would work....in his mind it was a 'cure', and his mind 'willed' the cancer away.
The doctors had no explanation for why the cancer receded.

So what exactly 'cured him?
Was it the distilled petroleum?
Was it the power of his mind?
Was it divine intervention?

Damned if I know.

My grandfather lived another 8 years or so (not of it all pleasant--towards the end his bodily functions started to give up on him and his memory also started to go).

The purpose of my post here is to point out that the mind is a powerful thing.
Try to have a positive outlook.
Stick to your treatment (whatever form that might be).

Can the mind "cure" an illness like cancer?
Who knows?

But there have been plenty of people who 'gave up', who had a negative mindset on their situation, and their situation quickly deteriorated.

I read many years ago that Hydrogen Peroxide will cure most types of cancer. I never read any follow-ups. Since it costs about 25 cents per gallon I dont imagine the medical profession was too crazy about that.

Like your grandfather I will refuse any chemo if ever diagnosed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:53 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Quote:
Like your grandfather I will refuse any chemo if ever diagnosed.

While I am not a medical expert, I do believe that the chemo treatments that are available today are more advanced and probably more effective than what was available in the 1970s when my grandfather had cancer.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:01 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228
Ning's sister came down with cancer (2009?), she went through the whole process (Chemo and all) paid for by Thai government. They are poor.

She's OK now, not strong but OK.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:06 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17050
Got some more data now.

Gamma ray knife treatment on the bit lodged in the brain, they think it has a good success rate, the aim is to permanently resolve the problem. Going in for that very soon, 1-2 weeks was mentioned.

The kidney is coming out in about six weeks, after the brain stuff is sorted. As its riddled it wont be keyhole, they got to take it carefully out of the side, big scar, eight weeks recovery.

No chemo as apparently it doesnt work on kidney cancer very well. There's an equivalent but it won't be until the kidney is gone.

Then, of course, Russian roulette. They say they can't see any more cancers on the scans but of course I could be riddled with microscopic cancers and they have no way to know. All they can do is deal with it as they pop up, and there will be scans and stuff to look for it. They say it almost certainly will pop up - this is one of the more aggressive cancers - though of course, no guarantees, and what happens then is just in the lap of the gods, where it happens, etc. Prognosis pretty shit. "We have people who can help you get your affairs in order.". Great!

Still on drugs to manage symptoms - which are minor. Back to work next week. Life goes on. For now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:10 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 720
EUBanana wrote:
Got some more data now.

Gamma ray knife treatment on the bit lodged in the brain, they think it has a good success rate, the aim is to permanently resolve the problem. Going in for that very soon, 1-2 weeks was mentioned.

The kidney is coming out in about six weeks, after the brain stuff is sorted. As its riddled it wont be keyhole, they got to take it carefully out of the side, big scar, eight weeks recovery.

No chemo as apparently it doesnt work on kidney cancer very well. There's an equivalent but it won't be until the kidney is gone.

Then, of course, Russian roulette. They say they can't see any more cancers on the scans but of course I could be riddled with microscopic cancers and they have no way to know. All they can do is deal with it as they pop up, and there will be scans and stuff to look for it. They say it almost certainly will pop up - this is one of the more aggressive cancers - though of course, no guarantees, and what happens then is just in the lap of the gods, where it happens, etc. Prognosis pretty shit. "We have people who can help you get your affairs in order.". Great!

Still on drugs to manage symptoms - which are minor. Back to work next week. Life goes on. For now.

So no dead sentence, good.

All the best luck and the best medics for you. ;)

Take care.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:35 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16336
EUBanana wrote:
Got some more data now.

Your bravery and humanity is awe inspiring.

Seems corny but . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:56 pm 
Sergeant Major

Man there’s nothing special about me. There’s not even any real hardship atm. I’m sure several people on here have been through worse.

Just unpleasant knowledge. Which nobody has a crystal ball for anyway... any one of us could drop dead tomorrow.

And what choice does anybody have in the end? When there’s no alternative it’s pretty easy to take a course of action. Everybody who died in WW1 managed that pretty easy.... you do what you gotta do. Shit happens. People don’t just roll over and die in a ditch, that’s not human nature. Even my pet guinea pigs don’t give up that easy when they are ill.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:26 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 12088
You are setting a high standard, EUBanana.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

I'm not gonna monopolise the main board, but I'm just about narcissistic enough to at least give you updates here, i'm afraid... besides. I think highly enough of you to know some of you you prolly really do wanna know and that I'm not imposing.

Apologies for British neuroticism I guess. ;)

Anyway, had a meeting with the neurologist this morning, a very good one, first consultant who really wanted to talk to me. This is just how the NHS seems to work, but first question I had for him, was on timescales - when is it happening? The reply, "Scan tomorrow, and then treatment Friday.". Holy shit, well thats the weeks plans blown to smithereens. I think it's because they are working so fast, they seem to have weekly meetings, and basically tell me right away, its all ASAFP which means no warning, by definition.

But bottom line is, I'm getting the last second, before-we-zap-you MRI scan tomorrow, and the gamma ray knife radiotherapy on Friday. Going on a bit of a medical whirlwind this week therefore, lot of travel and hotel. The appointment on Friday is at 7:30 in the AM, jesus wept, and a city away.

Got to see a scan of my brain, so I definitely have a brain, despite what some may think. :lol: Got to see the little tiny evil brain that lurks within, too. Not so cool, but hopefully that little bastard will be nuked out soon. Everything I read and everything I'm told tells me that the brain metastasis that I have is very fixable, without side effects, though it'll take a few months or more for the treatment to really take effect.

Apparently if this happened even ten years ago I'd be in far deeper shit, at least as far as the radiotherapy the NHS offers is concerned. Medical advancement is a real thing. NHS fucking amazing in this scenario, the oncology ward was like something out of a movie. Eccentric floppy haired receptionists, a nurse literally skipping down the ward, everybody happy. No patients really, lots of staff. Neurosurgeon as eccentric as you might expect, like a giant geek happy to tell me about all the amazing stuff that's gonna happen. Told him about some running out of drugs issue I got, he wrote a prescription right there, as I was wandering out the nurse noticed me holding it, 'I'LL SEND THAT TO THE PHARMACY FOR YOU, HERE YOU GO!'. Super reassuring, to have so much attention!

Saw the list of scans they gave me. Christ. They've done like 50 on me now. I saw 'testicular scan' on the list so they are doing the important stuff... :lol: they must have gone over every micron of my body looking for trouble by now. I probably glow in the dark but I suppose that's the least of my worries. :lol:

It's really hard to be downbeat actually being the focus of this whirlwind of concern and activity. And my life is basically feasting and gaming these days, literally, and masses and masses of people trying to help. It is literally difficult to feel sorry for myself on the receiving end of this much care, so I don't, which I guess is the point. Life is... crazily and oddly. Rather good right now.

The steroids I'm taking to keep the brain under control do frickin weird things. I have a cartoon's tongue now, all smooth and floppy like Wile E Coyote. Bizarre.

The real problem, the kidney, is still a far off thing, month away at least to take that out. Sounds pretty bad tbh what's planned. And not that effective unlike the brain stuff, though you never know. But now the event horizon of my forward thinking has been sharply curtailed, that falls under the heading of 'tomorrow's problems', which do not cross my mind much at all.

More worried about Brexit. The UK will still be here when I'm not. Maybe I'm crazy. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Thank you for the update----and you are not imposing on us in the least.

Your descriptions of the staff and site are amusing---keep them coming.
(You should be keeping notes/a journal for all this.....sounds like it could be the basis of some sort of sitcom ;-) )

Good luck on your treatment

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next