maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin

Post subject: Re: Warmer than hell
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:41 am 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 18648
We are all going to die!

Quote:
UK weather: Met Office issues ‘DANGER TO LIFE’ warning for thunderstorms and heavy rain

A SEVERE weather warning for violent thunderstorms and torrential rain posing a “danger to life” has today been issued by the Met Office.

Thunderstorms, lightning, hail and heavy downpours are forecast to batter parts of southern England today as low pressure from Europe temporarily disrupts the heatwave baking Britain.

Humid air engulfing Britain and a band of low pressure from the continent has created the ideal conditions for thunderstorms.

The Met Office has issued a severe weather alert, warning of thunderstorms, torrential rain, hailstones and lighting in places throughout Thursday.

The yellow “be aware” warning, which spans across southern regions of England, including Kent and parts of London, will remain in effect between 12pm and 7pm on Thursday.

Meanwhile, the rest of Britain will remain dry and warm as the prolonged spell of hot weather boiling the nation continues to send temperatures rising.

Up to 30mm of rain could fall within an hour in places on Thursday afternoon, causing rivers to overflow and roads to flood in some areas.

Heavy rain and flooding could cause “difficult driving conditions”, damage to homes and delays to train and bus services, forecasters have warned.

Forecasters have said fast flowing or deep flood water could cause a “danger to life” and leave some communities cut off and without power.

In a yellow alert, the Met Office said: “Heavy showers and thunderstorms are likely to break out this afternoon before fading away by early evening.

“20-30 mm of rain in an hour is possible in a few places, leading to surface water flooding, whilst there is a chance of one or two impacts from lightning and hail.”

Met Office spokesman Grahame Madge said: "We have got a cold front for part of the UK that will bring a dip in temperatures and make conditions more fresh.

"Over the weekend a ridge is building from the South West that will set fine conditions and increase temperatures for a few days or another week."

Temperatures in the South are expected to reach 32C on Sunday and Monday.

"We will see a long spell of fine, dry, sunny weather," Mr Madge added.

He said the heat is being caused by an area of high pressure, adding: "That has created an area of clear air above the UK, cloud is suppressed and winds have been low and that has allowed maximum heat to come through from the sun."

"It's homegrown warmth."

The hot conditions are expected to continue into next week.

Bookmaker Coral has suspended betting on hosepipe bans being introduced somewhere in the UK this summer.

Coral make it 1-4 that this summer goes down as the hottest on record, and 3-1 that a new record high temperature is reached this year.

Coral spokesman David Stevens said: "We were already odds-on, at 1-3, that there would be a hosepipe ban somewhere in the UK this summer, and that now looks inevitable as the hot, dry shows no sign of ending anytime soon, so for now we've closed the book."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... nderstorms

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:49 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Mac wrote:
We are all going to die!

Quote:
UK weather: Met Office issues ‘DANGER TO LIFE’ warning for thunderstorms and heavy rain

A SEVERE weather warning for violent thunderstorms and torrential rain posing a “danger to life” has today been issued by the Met Office.

Thunderstorms, lightning, hail and heavy downpours are forecast to batter parts of southern England today as low pressure from Europe temporarily disrupts the heatwave baking Britain.

Humid air engulfing Britain and a band of low pressure from the continent has created the ideal conditions for thunderstorms.

The Met Office has issued a severe weather alert, warning of thunderstorms, torrential rain, hailstones and lighting in places throughout Thursday.

The yellow “be aware” warning, which spans across southern regions of England, including Kent and parts of London, will remain in effect between 12pm and 7pm on Thursday.

Meanwhile, the rest of Britain will remain dry and warm as the prolonged spell of hot weather boiling the nation continues to send temperatures rising.

Up to 30mm of rain could fall within an hour in places on Thursday afternoon, causing rivers to overflow and roads to flood in some areas.

Heavy rain and flooding could cause “difficult driving conditions”, damage to homes and delays to train and bus services, forecasters have warned.

Forecasters have said fast flowing or deep flood water could cause a “danger to life” and leave some communities cut off and without power.

In a yellow alert, the Met Office said: “Heavy showers and thunderstorms are likely to break out this afternoon before fading away by early evening.

“20-30 mm of rain in an hour is possible in a few places, leading to surface water flooding, whilst there is a chance of one or two impacts from lightning and hail.”

Met Office spokesman Grahame Madge said: "We have got a cold front for part of the UK that will bring a dip in temperatures and make conditions more fresh.

"Over the weekend a ridge is building from the South West that will set fine conditions and increase temperatures for a few days or another week."

Temperatures in the South are expected to reach 32C on Sunday and Monday.

"We will see a long spell of fine, dry, sunny weather," Mr Madge added.

He said the heat is being caused by an area of high pressure, adding: "That has created an area of clear air above the UK, cloud is suppressed and winds have been low and that has allowed maximum heat to come through from the sun."

"It's homegrown warmth."

The hot conditions are expected to continue into next week.

Bookmaker Coral has suspended betting on hosepipe bans being introduced somewhere in the UK this summer.

Coral make it 1-4 that this summer goes down as the hottest on record, and 3-1 that a new record high temperature is reached this year.

Coral spokesman David Stevens said: "We were already odds-on, at 1-3, that there would be a hosepipe ban somewhere in the UK this summer, and that now looks inevitable as the hot, dry shows no sign of ending anytime soon, so for now we've closed the book."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... nderstorms

The British managed to make it throught the Blitz in WW2......I'm sure that they can muddle through a little bit of hot weather.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:47 am 
Sergeant Major

TRUCKING HOT UK weather – scorching Britain is so hot entire lorries are MELTING into the road amid 33C heat A lorry was trapped in a melted road in Newbuy, Berks yesterday - while the heat is expected to reach 33C today making it the hottest day of the year

[Photos at above link are a must see]

OK, maybe my earlier mockery was a bit harsh.

In Florida we don't typically see our roads melting like that during summer.
Perhaps in the future the UK Road Building Commission should consider using tarmac other than the "Eskimo Pie" variety. ;-)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:08 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15675
chijohnaok wrote:
TRUCKING HOT UK weather – scorching Britain is so hot entire lorries are MELTING into the road amid 33C heat A lorry was trapped in a melted road in Newbuy, Berks yesterday - while the heat is expected to reach 33C today making it the hottest day of the year

Perhaps in the future the UK Road Building Commission should consider using tarmac other than the "Eskimo Pie" variety. ;-)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23315384

Apparently if you make it more heat resistant then it can crack in the winter. Which makes sense.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:28 am 
Gunnery Sergeant

A guy got stuck in melted tarmac in Newcastle...

Quote:
A man had to be rescued by firefighters after he became stuck in melted tarmac.

The unidentified 24-year-old dialled 999 after his left leg sank "thigh deep" into the road on a back lane in the Heaton area of Newcastle, leaving him unable to move.

Fire officers had to dig around him with a hammer and chisel before they were able to ease out his trapped limb.

They put his lack of injury to his foot or ankle down to him wearing "his granddad's Dr Martens".

A spokesman for the fire service blamed the current heatwave, and said: "During the good weather please be mindful things like this can happen - be more aware when you're walking around."

It comes as a bin lorry sank into a road in Newbury, Berkshire.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-44730908

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:37 am 
Sergeant Major

EUBanana wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23315384

Apparently if you make it more heat resistant then it can crack in the winter. Which makes sense.

I suppose that does make sense.

Nothing wrong with a little cracking in the winter---it's what is expected up the northern part of the USA.

It brings out the pot hole patch crews. The unions love it because it keeps their members busy. ;-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:16 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 6238
91F and you all are crying? LOL That is a spring day down here.

Heck my guys are afraid the summer is over when we dropped to 91F. I am praying for my sustained 30+ days of 100F degrees for late July and all of August.

Our roads down here damn sure don't melt...…now roofing tar is an entire different story. But roads, fry an egg on easily, melt, never.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:42 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

The heatwave has been so severe it has turned Britian from a green and pleasant land to a shade of brown. Inb4 someone says thats people not trees...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 53666.html

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:11 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15095
It is funny how Gaia works. Over here in Georgia, we are having what must be the most mild and pleasant summer I can remember.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:14 am 
Sergeant Major

I saw this linked at Ace of Spades and immediately realized that this was the thread to post it in:

https://mobile.twitter.com/stevetrendal ... 45/video/1

:P

Profile E-mail