maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin

Post subject: First modern Britons had 'dark to black' skin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:30 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 11382
Quote:
First modern Britons had 'dark to black' skin, Cheddar Man DNA analysis reveals

The genome of Cheddar Man, who lived 10,000 years ago, suggests that he had blue eyes, dark skin and dark curly hair

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... is-reveals

Quote:
Cheddar Man: DNA shows early Briton had dark skin
By Paul Rincon Science editor, BBC News website
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42939192

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: First modern Britons had 'dark to black' skin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:49 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12999
Hmmph. Chris Stringer is involved. He generally seemed to be legit, but who knows, maybe he has taken a turn for the worse; after all, Chomsky was once a brilliant linguist.

This part is concerning:
Quote:
The analysis of Cheddar Man's genome - the "blueprint" for a human, contained in the nuclei of our cells - will be published in a journal, and will also feature in the upcoming Channel 4 documentary The First Brit, Secrets Of The 10,000-year-old Man

So the "scientific" study has not yet been published in a peer-reviewed journal, but the results and conclusion are being published by BBC and a documentary already. Seems a bit premature. I remain skeptical to say the least. Historically these kinds of studies are notoriously bad, and the fact that they have opted to go with publicizing their findings BEFORE those findings have become an accepted piece in the literature calls for caution.

The fact that, having supposedly sequenced a large fraction of a 10,000 year old human males genotype, they felt that the "most salient" parts of their analysis to communicate was that "he was black, but with blue eyes and [apparently based on the artist's reconstructions] with Euro-facial proportions" also raises eyebrows. Ironic that they quote one of the investigators as saying: We live in an era when there is a pre-occupation with skin color . . .

Quote:
This combination might appear striking to us today, but it was a common appearance in western Europe during this period.

Steven Clarke, director of the Channel Four documentary, said: "I think we all know we live in times where we are unusually preoccupied with skin pigmentation."

Prof Mark Thomas, a geneticist from UCL, said: "It becomes a part of our understanding, I think that would be a much, much better thing. I think it would be good if people lodge it in their heads, and it becomes a little part of their knowledge."

Unsurprisingly, the findings have generated lots of interest on social media.

This little bit of commentary REALLY sends up the red flags for me. There are of course many interesting and non-trivial questions that pertain to human adaptation and epigamic features such as skin pigmentation, but not a peep about any of these in this blurb.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:15 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 11382
Anthropoid wrote:
Hmmph. Chris Stringer is involved. He generally seemed to be legit, but who knows, maybe he has taken a turn for the worse; after all, Chomsky was once a brilliant linguist.

This part is concerning:
Quote:
The analysis of Cheddar Man's genome - the "blueprint" for a human, contained in the nuclei of our cells - will be published in a journal, and will also feature in the upcoming Channel 4 documentary The First Brit, Secrets Of The 10,000-year-old Man

So the "scientific" study has not yet been published in a peer-reviewed journal, but the results and conclusion are being published by BBC and a documentary already. Seems a bit premature. I remain skeptical to say the least. Historically these kinds of studies are notoriously bad, and the fact that they have opted to go with publicizing their findings BEFORE those findings have become an accepted piece in the literature calls for caution.

The fact that, having supposedly sequenced a large fraction of a 10,000 year old human males genotype, they felt that the "most salient" parts of their analysis to communicate was that "he was black, but with blue eyes and [apparently based on the artist's reconstructions] with Euro-facial proportions" also raises eyebrows. Ironic that they quote one of the investigators as saying: We live in an era when there is a pre-occupation with skin color . . .

Quote:
This combination might appear striking to us today, but it was a common appearance in western Europe during this period.

Steven Clarke, director of the Channel Four documentary, said: "I think we all know we live in times where we are unusually preoccupied with skin pigmentation."

Prof Mark Thomas, a geneticist from UCL, said: "It becomes a part of our understanding, I think that would be a much, much better thing. I think it would be good if people lodge it in their heads, and it becomes a little part of their knowledge."

Unsurprisingly, the findings have generated lots of interest on social media.

This little bit of commentary REALLY sends up the red flags for me. There are of course many interesting and non-trivial questions that pertain to human adaptation and epigamic features such as skin pigmentation, but not a peep about any of these in this blurb.
Good reply, tried to Rep but Doggie has the repping rigged.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:24 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1612
abradley wrote:
Quote:
First modern Britons had 'dark to black' skin, Cheddar Man DNA analysis reveals

The genome of Cheddar Man, who lived 10,000 years ago, suggests that he had blue eyes, dark skin and dark curly hair

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... is-reveals

Quote:
Cheddar Man: DNA shows early Briton had dark skin
By Paul Rincon Science editor, BBC News website
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42939192

FYI.

There is another thread about the Cheddar Man upstairs: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20089

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail