maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin

Post subject: Re: Farage and EU pension
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:40 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2401
chijohnaok wrote:
nero wrote:
What untruths you found in the satire article? :roll:

Certainly less than any Faux News material or tory tabloids in Britain covering EU or climate change. :twisted:

So it goes.

What "untruths" did I find in the article?

There were numerous quotes attributed to Farage that were never actually stated by Farage.

Example 1:

The article states:

Quote:
Farage explained to Marr and his viewers, “Look, I don’t want those filthy Eurocrats getting a single penny more from the British voters – unless of course those pennies turn into tens of thousands of pounds and come back to me in the form of a disgustingly lucrative pension.

I googled the quote "“Look, I don’t want those filthy Eurocrats getting a single penny more from the British voters – unless of course those pennies turn into tens of thousands of pounds and come back to me in the form of a disgustingly lucrative pension", and do you know how many times a search of the world wide web found a match for that?
Exactly 1 match.
The only place on the internet where this quote appears is on Newsthump in the article that you cited in your opening post.

Example 2:
Quote:
“We shouldn’t be giving the EU anything, they’ve had more than enough from us over the years, but if the UK has to pay some sort of large settlement when leaving the EU to ensure that I get my pension, then I suppose that is how it will have to be.

Again, I googled that quote and found only 1 place where that quote appears on the internet, and that again was at Newsthump in the article that you posted.

Example 3:

Quote:
“Look, I’ve made everyone worse off, set our economy back years, and given voice to the far-right of politics at home and abroad – but most of all I’ve secured a lucrative pension from a job I claimed to hate and did everything I could to avoid.

Again, one match on the internet, that being the Newsthump article.

The article says "Farage told Andrew Marr...."
Andrew Marr hosts a weekly Sunday show that appear on BBC One.
If Farage had made these statements to Andrew Marr on his BBC show, then there would likely be a You Tube video of them.
There might be a writeup on the BBC website with these quotes.

But there are no such videos; there are no such articles on the BBC website, or any other website, except for the Newsthump's article.
This leads me to believe that Farage never said these things.

Let's try this test with another quote:

Quote:
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

How many matches does Google have for that quote?
Google shows 182,000 matches.

How many video matches does Google have for that quote?
"About 3,480" matches

OK, I can find that quote on a multitude of different website site, and can see thousands of videos with Martin Luther King Jr stating that quote.

Therefore, I believe that this was a quote that was actually said by MLK jr.

Let's try this test again with another quote:. But this time, lets use a much more obscure quote:

Quote:
Officers don't run, only corporals do that

How many matches does Google have for this quote?
Google shows 141 matches for this quote (much fewer than MLK Jr's quote).
But this quote appears 141 on numerous different websites.

This would lead me to believe that this was an actual quote from the person who said it.

(I am guessing that Nero might have previously heard or read this quote himself. For those that have not, simply google the quote).

So again Nero, you asked "What untruths you found in the satire article?"

Just to be sure that we are on the same page here, let's set out what the definition of the word "untruth" is:

Quote:
untruth
[uhn-trooth]
Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun, plural untruths [uhn-trooth z, -trooths] (Show IPA)
the state or character of being untrue.
want of veracity; divergence from truth.
something untrue; a falsehood or lie.
Synonyms: fiction, story, tale, fabrication, invention.
Archaic. unfaithfulness; disloyalty.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/untruth

So do the alleged quotes from Farage in the article meet the definition of being an "untruth"?
Are the quotes a falsehood or a lie?
Yes, because Farage never said them.

Are the quotes a fabrication?
Yes, because he never said them and Newsthump made them up.

Did Newsthump invent these quotes?
Yes, Farage never said them yet the Newsthump article states that Farage did say them.

Do I hold Newsthump responsible for fabricating the quotes?
No, because they are a humor and satire website. They were intentionally made up to be humorous or satirical.

Anyone (well almost anyone) should be able to tell from looking at any of the articles on that website, they are made up.

To conclude this, I will see your :roll: and I will raise you one :roll: :roll:

So do you claim that Farage declines the EU pension? :roll:

The point is that he does not, and claims the UK have no divorce obligations to the EU.

Are you really so dim that you can not see the humour in this?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:50 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16098
I claim nothing of the sort.

In fact, IIRC, I earlier said that he is probably entitled to his EU pension.

He worked there, it would seem that he earned his salary and his pension.
The fact that he disagrees with what much of the EU does doesn't disqualify him from a salary or from a pension.

And, to be honest, I do see humor here.

I see you having quoted a news article with made up quotes put out by a satirical website and you positioning them as truthful quotes.

I find it even funnier how you then doubled down on this.

Yes, I am laughing at all this.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:16 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688
Why do you think Farage shouldn't collect his EU pension Sneer? That is the really funny question.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail