maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin

Post subject: Britain is not Racist
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:26 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16098
An installment from Sargon of Akkad:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Britain is not Racist
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:22 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688
It thinks racism is not learned? That means it really IS a racist.

Claiming that a type of people are intrinsically biologically inferior in some way is the essence of racism.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:58 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 9282
IMO Humans are racists and the more primitive a culture we're raised in the more racist we are.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:41 am 
First Sergeant

Claiming that all humans are "racist" isn't racist. But claiming that a certain type of people are racist (while others are not) IS racist.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:02 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16556
Generalizing about humans is speciesist. :lol: What if I said "Neanderthals have thick brow ridges"?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:25 pm 
First Sergeant

jack t ripper wrote:
Generalizing about humans is speciesist. :lol: What if I said "Neanderthals have thick brow ridges"?

It is actually a species-diagnostic characteristic so you'd be completely accurate!

It may be that humans ARE (as a species) prone to racism. In-group / Out-group dynamics seem to be quite tightly "written" into whatever fixed action patterns shape how we learn about our cultures as little tots. So far no one has been able to create an artificial society that is completely devoid of any in-group / out-group discrimination.

So I'd say, "Humans are racist" is not a terrible generalization. We will probably never really have the sufficient experimental data as it is obviously completely unethical! :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:57 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 9282
jack t ripper wrote:
First there's this:
Quote:
Science

October 21, 2017
Innate Fears: Even Babies Get Stressed When They See Spiders And Snakes
Dawn Papple

Don’t feel bad if you’re afraid of snakes and spiders. As it turns out, fear of snakes and spiders is innately human. In fact, even babies get stressed when they see spiders and snakes. Researchers at the Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences say that babies show distinct signs of fear when they see spiders or snakes. This fear is measurable, and babies have these feelings long before they could have learned it from other people, they say.
(Continued)
https://www.inquisitr.com/4556275/babie ... nd-snakes/
Plus my experience with Thai babies/children, 90% 0f the time they're fearful of me, a stranger, especislly if I have my beard.

Then there's bunches of stuff I've read about primitive tribes and how they're hesitant about letting lone strangers near their tribe.

And there's much the same in 'Culloden by John Prebble' where he describes how anybody banished by his clan would be shunned by all others even if they didn't know of his banishment, he was alone, what was wrong with him. Have read much the same for US Indian tribes.

Does this prove my view, no.

But I still believe humans are naturally racists and learn not to be (or even more raciest) depending on their upbringing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:35 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16556
Sometimes I literally jump when I see a serpentine shape but there are rattlers all over the place here. Once I can see it's a gopher snake I am not afraid but that first half a second the signal comes from the brainstem.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:40 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 11164
I think it was "Territorial Imperative" that gave me the concept that "The folks on the other side of the hill are not us ! They might be bad!"

And for me, that is the origin of "racist" ... the idea that the people on the other side of the hill are DIFFERENT. Think back to the 19th Century ... YourOhs referred to "The English Race" and "The French Race" and so on ... different folks were a different RACE !!!

They talked funny, ate funny food, had funny beliefs, and so on.

So yes, we are all "racist" in that sense.

Profile E-mail