maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin

Post subject: Big Ben To Be Silenced For Four Years
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:23 am 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 12839
Some people are not amused by this.

Quote:
The House of Commons says it will look again at the length of time Big Ben will be silenced during renovation work after "concerns".

The bell is to be dismantled - except for special occasions - for four years on Monday to allow repairs to the surrounding Elizabeth Tower.

Parliament said it had to protect workers carrying out the renovations.

But Prime Minister Theresa May said "it can't be right" that the famous bongs will not be heard again until 2021.

Now, in a statement, the House of Commons has said: "When Parliament returns, in light of concerns expressed by a number of MPs, the House of Commons Commission will consider the length of time that the bells will fall silent.

"Of course, any discussion will focus on undertaking the work efficiently, protecting the health and safety of those involved, and seeking to ensure resumption of normal service as soon as is practicable given those requirements."

A Commons spokesman said the bells would cease to ring on Monday, following the chimes at noon, as planned.

But he added: "Big Ben's bongs are an integral part of parliamentary life and we will ensure that they can resume their role as the nation's timekeeper as soon as possible."

Asked about the plan to silence the bells for four years - which has been strongly criticised in some sections of the press - Mrs May said: "Of course we want to ensure people's safety at work but it can't be right for Big Ben to be silent for four years.

"And I hope that the Speaker, as the chairman of the House of Commons Commission, will look into this urgently so that we can ensure that we can continue to hear Big Ben through those four years."

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said he would miss the sound of Big Ben, but that the welfare of people working alongside it should come first.

He added: "So if we have to miss Big Ben in reality for a while so that work can be done, well, that's something we have to go through.

"It's not a national disaster or catastrophe."
'Public money'

A Commons spokesman said "starting and stopping Big Ben is a complex and lengthy process" and it would not be possible to continue ringing the bells for the entire period.

He added: "The whole process takes around half a day to complete.

"Following a thorough assessment, experts have concluded that it would not be practical or a good use of public money to start and stop the bells each day, particularly as we cannot fully predict the times that staff will be working on this project."

The Commons Commission is responsible for maintenance of the Palace of Westminster.

Lib Dem MP Tom Brake, a member of the commission, has written to the Commons director general to ask about the cost and practicality of "ringing them more frequently" during the repair works.

He said: "It would not be possible for them to continue to be rung every 15 minutes as is currently the case, that would not be practical, but it may be perhaps practical and it may be financially viable to ring them more frequently than is currently being proposed."

The £29m restoration was signed off in 2015 by the Commons Administration Committee, which advises the commission, as well as the Lords Administration and Works Committee and the Commons Finance Committee.

But Mr Brake said MPs did not know the full extent of the shutdown when they agreed the repair plans.

Last year the House of Commons said the bells would have to be switched off for "several months" to allow the repair work to take place.

On Monday, it was revealed this would involve a much longer period of silence, with the bells only being switched back on for important events like New Year and Remembrance Sunday.

This led to press criticism, and Brexit Secretary David Davis described the move as "mad".

Defending itself, Parliament said that "prolonged exposure to the chimes would pose a serious risk to the hearing" of those working on the project.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40948412

Reminds me of a classic piece of 4chan copypasta...

Quote:
>go to England on vacation with some friends
>we have to meet at the hotel at 9pm
>it starts to get dark out
>got to check my watch
>I forgot it
>decide to go ask someone
>find someone to ask
>ARE YOU WIMBLY FOURS MATE!? IM CRIMBO NINAN SIX APPLE SMIBBLY DIN BIBBLY CHAP
>have no idea what he just said, ask him to repeat
>YOU WOT M8?
>he starts to laugh maniacally
>Big Ben rings out
>everyone stops in the fucking street
>a carriage with the initials HRH rides down the street
>the fucking queen herself sticks her head out
>OI YOU GITS DID YE HEAR THAT!? IT BE 6 BONG
>driver pokes his head out
>6 BONGERS!?
>another man leaps out of the sewer
>6 FECKING BONGERS!?
>people start pouring out in the street
>YA WANKERS IT BE CRIMBO SIX-A-BONG
>store clerks and chimey sweeps chanting SIX A-BONG SIX A-BONG
>we try to get away, the filth is choking me
>SIX A-BONG SIX A-BONG OLLY JOLLY ITS SIX A-BONG
>the lyrics drown everyone out, can't avoid the dancers
>BANG UP THE KNACKERS AND SMACK YER MUM-
>OLL IN THE STREETS ITS SIX A-BONG
>fish and chips being thrown into the air en masse at this point
>someone pulls out a Britsh flag and starts waving it while singing God Save the Queen
>several men are being beaten to death with cricket bats
>a 1950s style police box materialises out of thin air and a man with a long scarf gets out
>our fucking faces

What are we going to do without our bongs?

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Big Ben To Be Silenced For Four Years
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:09 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16223
I am pleased to see that the most important issue for the British press to focus on are Big Ben'e bongs.

Everything els must be running smoothly then. :D

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:44 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2401
How many years did take to build the original, compared to this four years for repairs? :roll:

Just curious.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:02 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11823
nero wrote:
How many years did take to build the original, compared to this four years for repairs? :roll:

Just curious.

The foundation stone for the Elizabeth Tower was laid on 28 September 1843. Its foundations were dug 3m deep.

The construction fell five years behind schedule and the tower was finally completed in 1859. There was no official opening ceremony for the Elizabeth Tower, possibly because its completion had been so delayed.

Some things never change.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2401
EUBanana wrote:
nero wrote:

Just curious.

The foundation stone for the Elizabeth Tower was laid on 28 September 1843. Its foundations were dug 3m deep.

The construction fell five years behind schedule and the tower was finally completed in 1859. There was no official opening ceremony for the Elizabeth Tower, possibly because its completion had been so delayed.

Some things never change.

Thanks for the info.

"Niin on aina ollut ja niin on aina oleva" - Mika Waltari.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:16 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 11164
Wait a minute ... I thought about last year, we read that parliament was gonna head down the road for a few years and meet in some moozlim cathedral ... the MPs were worried about the no alcohol restrictions ... what happened with that !!??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:55 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11823
jwilkerson wrote:
Wait a minute ... I thought about last year, we read that parliament was gonna head down the road for a few years and meet in some moozlim cathedral ... the MPs were worried about the no alcohol restrictions ... what happened with that !!??

It's all a part of that, basically the whole Palace of Westminster is falling apart, Big Ben being fixed is one part of it.

I think they weren't very happy about having to move out, not sure they've grasped the thorn on what to do exactly yet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:12 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16806
4 years without your bong IS a long time. Especially if you are used to it several times a day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:37 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10688
A bong an hour keeps the faces dour.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:54 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 9532
https://www.parliament.uk/about/living- ... mp-link-17
Quote:
When was the last time the chimes stopped for a prolonged period of time?

The bells did not chime for a period of around nine months when the clock underwent a major overhaul in 1976. Significant conservation work was carried out between 1983 – 5, and the bells were silenced for a time during this period. In 2007 the bells were stopped for a period of 6 weeks, whilst essential maintenance works were carried out.
Was in Africa at the time and the BBC short wave was the only news.

Don't remember what BBC did for the 'Bongs' ... time was set world wide by the bongs. Do remember there was much talk about it on BBC and with us guys.

Would the Proms be cancelled

Never!

What did the Brits give the world, only the Anglosphere (Near sanity in an otherwise mad world.)

Profile E-mail