maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin

Post subject: Re: Tim Farron - Who Are Ya?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:01 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 11008
EUBanana wrote:
An election notable by the fact that even more than usual, all the party leaders are utter fuckwits, hapless, incompetent, uncharismatic, clueless, and probably a few more insulting things I've not thought of yet.

It's not just the leaders. How the fuck is this borderline retard Shadow Home Secretary?

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:06 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9548
Quintessential bureaucratic mediocrity bordering on incompetence.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:17 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13998
Mac wrote:
EUBanana wrote:
An election notable by the fact that even more than usual, all the party leaders are utter fuckwits, hapless, incompetent, uncharismatic, clueless, and probably a few more insulting things I've not thought of yet.

It's not just the leaders. How the fuck is this borderline retard Shadow Home Secretary?

The questioner in that piece was brutal (deservedly so though).
She seemed pretty clueless. He obviously knew that going into it and picked her apart.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:53 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Diane Abbott is conveniently diagnosed with "crippling incompetentitis" and temporarily stands down as Shadow Home Secretary...

Quote:
Diane Abbott says she will be back in action soon after it was announced she was "taking a break" from campaigning.

The shadow home secretary tweeted: "Touched by all the messages of support. Still standing! Will rejoin the fray soon. Vote Labour!"

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn announced earlier that Ms Abbott would "was not well" and was taking a break.

Shadow minister Lyn Brown is to stand in for Ms Abbott, who pulled out of two media appearances on Tuesday.

Asked how long Ms Abbott would be taking a break, Mr Corbyn said: "I'll be talking to her later on today."

He said: "Of course Diane is somebody that works extremely hard and represents her community very well and I have to say has received totally unfair levels of attack and abuse not just recently - over many years."

BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg said Ms Abbott's break would be "indefinite" and political correspondent Iain Watson said friends of Ms Abbott had told him she was moved without consultation, not at her own request.

Labour's international trade spokesman Barry Gardiner said he had been told by Labour Party officials that Ms Abbott was suffering from a long-term illness.

"Diane is clearly not well and I understand that it is a condition which has been diagnosed and is long-term," Mr Gardiner told TalkRadio.

"I think anybody who has seen her in the past couple of weeks would realise that she was showing that she was not well, in the way in which she had been operating."

He added: "Everybody is aware that Diane didn't perform well in a couple of programmes, but what we didn't know was why and I think that has now become clear."

Mr Gardiner later told the Press Association it was a matter for Ms Abbott to decide what details of her health should be made public.

Ms Abbott had been scheduled to appear on a special election edition of Radio 4's Woman's Hour alongside Home Secretary Amber Rudd and other political rivals on Tuesday.

But shortly before transmission, it was announced that shadow foreign secretary Emily Thornberry would take her place.

Ms Abbott had downplayed claims Labour wanted her to adopt a lower profile after several faltering performances.

During an appearance on Sky News on Monday, Ms Abbott rejected suggestions that the party leadership regarded her as a liability after an LBC interview earlier in the campaign when she failed to put an accurate cost on the party's plans to fund 10,000 new police officers.

She said she was appearing regularly in the media and it would be "strange" if she was not doing so at a time of heightened concern about security and policing after the terror attacks in London and Manchester.

Lyn Brown, 57, was first appointed to Labour's shadow home affairs team when Mr Corbyn named his first frontbench team in 2015.

But she was among a slew of MPs who resigned the following year following a vote of no confidence in his leadership. She said then that Labour should seek a new leader "for the good of the party and the country".

She rejoined the front bench three months later as minister for policing. MP for West Ham since 2005, she is fighting Thursday's election in the ultra-safe east London seat, which she held with a majority of almost 28,000 in 2015.

She was a Labour whip under Gordon Brown and Ed Miliband, before being appointed shadow minister for communities and local government in 2013 and then shadow home office minister two years later.

The Conservatives said Labour were "hiding" Ms Abbott away from voters as she was "not trusted" by Mr Corbyn, a close ally and friend of hers, and other colleagues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40184826

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:37 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9548
So harsh. Labour is so cold-hearted and calculating, they're perfectly happy to throw the brown lady under the bus to preserve their chance to win back the majority. Poor Diane. She's obviously just "not feeling well" and this is how they reward her, by revoking her token appointee "Get into Office Free" card :(

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:59 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Tim Farron decides to quit his job because he can no longer align being a faithful Christian who hates faggots with being the leader of a progressive liberal party in the current year. Probably should have come out with that before the election mate. :roll:

The absolute state of British politics right now...

Quote:
Tim Farron has said he is to step down as leader of the Liberal Democrats, less than a week after the election.

In a statement, he said he was "torn between living as a faithful Christian and serving as a political leader".

He said he should have dealt "more wisely" with questions relating to his faith during the election campaign, including his views on gay sex.

Possible successors include former ministers Sir Vince Cable, Jo Swinson, Sir Ed Davey and Norman Lamb.

Church leaders praised Mr Farron. The Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby said he was "honourable and decent".

The acting Bishop of London, Pete Broadbent, said "no-one should have to choose between their faith and politics" and it was "deeply regrettable" he felt the need to quit.

In a hastily-arranged statement, and surrounded by his close colleagues, Mr Farron insisted his decision to step down was voluntary and that he retained the support of his party, which he had been proud to lead for nearly two years.

But he said he could no longer reconcile his strong Christian faith with his responsibilities as leader of a liberal party.

"The consequences of the focus on my faith is that I have found myself torn between living as a faithful Christian and serving as a political leader," he said.

"A better, wiser person may have been able to deal with this more successfully, to remain faithful to Christ while leading a political party in the current environment.

"To be a leader, particularly of a progressive liberal party in 2017 and to live as a committed Christian and to hold faithful to the Bible's teaching has felt impossible for me."

He said he was passionate about defending the rights and liberties of people who believed differently to him, but said he had been the "subject of suspicion" because of his own beliefs.

While questions about his faith were legitimate, he said they "distracted" from the party's election campaign.

During the campaign, he was asked repeatedly in media interviews to clarify his views on gay sex but did not, to begin with, answer directly.

He later insisted that he did not believe it was a sin and that, while he believed political leaders should not "pontificate on theological matters", it was right to address the subject as it had become "an issue".

Earlier on Wednesday, shadow home affairs spokesman Lord Paddick himself quit, citing concerns about Mr Farron's "views on various issues".

As the party does not currently have a deputy leader, Mr Farron will remain in place while an election is held to choose his successor.

Mr Farron succeeded Nick Clegg in 2015 after the party's disastrous election result, in which it lost nearly 50 seats.

Having not served in the coalition government, he positioned himself to the left of Mr Clegg and sought to rebuild the party at grassroots level.

The party increased its tally of seats from nine to 12 at last week's election, but its vote share fell from 7.9% to 7.4%.

They were hoping to make significant headway on the back of a pledge to hold a second EU referendum.

Despite winning back seats in the south of England lost in 2015, and making gains in Scotland, the party's national performance was patchy.

It lost its last remaining seat in Wales, Mr Clegg was defeated in Sheffield, and 375 of the party's candidates lost their deposits after getting less than 5% of the vote.

Senior party figures and Church leaders praised their outgoing leader. Mr Clegg said it must have been an "agonising" decision for him to make.

He tweeted: "I'm sure I was not alone in being moved by the way Tim spoke about the struggle he found in balancing his faith and his politics."

Willie Rennie, the leader of the Scottish Liberal Democrats, said Mr Farron had been a "dynamic and inspirational" leader who helped the party bounce back from the "dark days" after the 2015 election.

"I believe he still has a big role to play in British politics," Mr Rennie added.

But former Lib Dem official Miranda Green criticised Mr Farron for making his statement on the same day as the Grenfell Tower fire tragedy in London, in which at least 12 people have died.

She said the timing showed the Lib Dem leader was "myopic and self-obsessed".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40281300

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:29 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 10757
"Liberalism" incompatible with having an opinion.

Modern politics in a nutshell.

Profile E-mail