EU and Brexit

All things British. Kidney Pie, Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash

Moderator: chijohnaok

Forum rules
Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin
EUBanana
Sergeant Major

Re: EU and Brexit

#2771 Post by EUBanana » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:10 am

Monarchy dragged us quite a few 18th century wars on the continent. When Hanover was in personal union with the British monarchy we ended up drawn into various wars to defend that, for example. And Sweden's desire to keep on bitching Germany in the 18th century when part of it was in fact under the British crown resulted in a few wars in that area for starters.

We quite often owned a little worthless chunk of Europe somewhere due to having monarchs who were German, or Norman, or whatever. They were always trouble, it seemed to me.

Whenever I play EU4 giving those up is usually the first thing I do, that's just a way to keep your manpower pool down for no benefit. :lol:
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#2772 Post by chijohnaok » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:28 am

Some of the Irish are apparently upset that they will be forced to pay more into the EU budget, but in turn receive less back.

Leo Varadkar unleashes fury at EU crunch summit as he slams 'unacceptable' budget demands
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

nero
Sergeant Major

#2773 Post by nero » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:15 am

chijohnaok wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:28 am
Some of the Irish are apparently upset that they will be forced to pay more into the EU budget, but in turn receive less back.

Leo Varadkar unleashes fury at EU crunch summit as he slams 'unacceptable' budget demands
Perhaps so, but I don't expect Irxit any time soon. :)

But perhaps England would solve the problem once again by invading Ireland. Then the Boris' Garden Bridge II would make more sense. :lol:
A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

EUBanana
Sergeant Major

#2774 Post by EUBanana » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:31 am

Seems like I was right yet again...
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti

nero
Sergeant Major

#2775 Post by nero » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:07 pm

EUBanana wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:31 am
Seems like I was right yet again...
You are always right. ;)

You are almost like I am. The main difference between is is that I am right even when I am wrong. :lol:
A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

EUBanana
Sergeant Major

#2776 Post by EUBanana » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:28 pm

Well, I thought Brexit would lose the referendum fwiw...

nero
Sergeant Major

#2777 Post by nero » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:33 pm

EUBanana wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:28 pm
Well, I thought Brexit would lose the referendum fwiw...
You are so young, but hopefully you will have many years to reach the perfection.

Perhaps you can make a prediction about the situation February 2021, how to brexit dividend will look like.

PS. Plant carrots, cauliflower, potato, etc... in the spring if you can. ;)

EUBanana
Sergeant Major

#2778 Post by EUBanana » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:57 pm

My prediction is that nothing of significance will happen, but whatever small disruptions there will almost inevitably be will be blown up out of all proportion. And life will go on. The vast majority won't even notice it happened.

I know this pisses the conformist Scandies off, that the reprobate UK will escape divine punishment for our perceived specialness (actually its not that it's merely not accepting subjugation 'for the greater good'), but there it is.

nero
Sergeant Major

#2779 Post by nero » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:07 pm

EUBanana wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:57 pm
My prediction is that nothing of significance will happen, but whatever small disruptions there will almost inevitably be will be blown up out of all proportion. And life will go on. The vast majority won't even notice it happened.

I know this pisses the conformist Scandies off, that the reprobate UK will escape divine punishment for our perceived specialness (actually its not that it's merely not accepting subjugation 'for the greater good'), but there it is.
OK, lets see how the brexit toblerone will look like next year. ;)

EUBanana
Sergeant Major

#2780 Post by EUBanana » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:29 pm

nero wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:07 pm
EUBanana wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:57 pm

OK, lets see how the brexit toblerone will look like next year. ;)
Couldn't really ask for a much better example of 'small disruptions blown out of all proportion' than the size of a chocolate bar almost nobody eats.

My packs of Nice biccies are the same size. ;)