maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: STUDY: BBC 'TWICE AS LIKELY' TO AIR LIBERAL-LEANING STOR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:33 pm 
Offline
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 14051
Reputation points: 8907
nero wrote:
doggie wrote:
There is absolutely n o evidence what so ever that life is spontaneously generated from nothing. There is no evidence at all that human activity changes the climate.

The Origin of Species much more than Abiogenesis. Evolution theory explains how species develop from earlier species. ;)

Here is evidence for the climate change
Having eyes does mean seeing, especially when you keep them closed. :roll:
Climate Change was pretty well verified, but how responsible were humans?:
Quote:
July 16, 2013
As Global Warming Stalls, Activists Talk 'Climate Change'
By Diana Furchtgott-Roth
http://www.realclearmarkets.com/article ... 00480.html
Some claim the present stall is caused by Western Countries cutting back on coal power, ect ... but that forgets that every other country is expanding their 'Global Warming' products:
Quote:
[b]The world’s biggest polluter is going green, but it needs to speed up the transition
Aug 10th 2013 |From the print edition

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/2 ... -can-china[/b]
As for Evolution, it sounds good and I agree with it, but it's a theory!

_________________
Even so, never go to a gunfight without a gun and, if you intend to win, never go to a religious war without religion. You'll lose.
tomkratman.com


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: STUDY: BBC 'TWICE AS LIKELY' TO AIR LIBERAL-LEANING STOR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:17 pm 
Offline
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:06 pm
Posts: 15229
Location: under the porch
Reputation points: 13767
I see no evidence from the Helsinki Institute for Unimaginable Ignorance that life developed spontaneously from nothing. there is absolutely no evidence that human activity is responsible for any increase in c02 levels or any change in the climate. The climate I not a static system; it has been changing for billions of years and will continue to do so Confiscatory taxes on Americans will not change the climate in the least.

_________________
First, we must kill moose and squirrel


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: STUDY: BBC 'TWICE AS LIKELY' TO AIR LIBERAL-LEANING STOR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:37 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 12840
Reputation points: 2776
doggie wrote:
I see no evidence from the Helsinki Institute for Unimaginable Ignorance that life developed spontaneously from nothing. there is absolutely no evidence that human activity is responsible for any increase in c02 levels or any change in the climate. The climate I not a static system; it has been changing for billions of years and will continue to do so Confiscatory taxes on Americans will not change the climate in the least.

Only creation "theories" bring life from nothing, while Abiogenesis or biopoiesis is a natural process by which life arises from simple organic compounds.

As for the CO2 you are wrong on both of your cases:

1) Humans have created the excess CO2 in the atmosphere during the two last centuries burning coal and oil.

Image

2) CO2 is a greenhouse gas, Svante Arrhenius proved that over 100 years ago. The greenhouse effect can be tested in laboratory, and if you would look around, you would see the warming. Also there is enough evidence in the NASA-link that I posted earlier for everyone who can read. ;)

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: STUDY: BBC 'TWICE AS LIKELY' TO AIR LIBERAL-LEANING STOR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:08 am 
Offline
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 14051
Reputation points: 8907
nero wrote:
doggie wrote:
I see no evidence from the Helsinki Institute for Unimaginable Ignorance that life developed spontaneously from nothing. there is absolutely no evidence that human activity is responsible for any increase in c02 levels or any change in the climate. The climate I not a static system; it has been changing for billions of years and will continue to do so Confiscatory taxes on Americans will not change the climate in the least.

Only creation "theories" bring life from nothing, while Abiogenesis or biopoiesis is a natural process by which life arises from simple organic compounds.

As for the CO2 you are wrong on both of your cases:

1) Humans have created the excess CO2 in the atmosphere during the two last centuries burning coal and oil.

Image

2) CO2 is a greenhouse gas, Svante Arrhenius proved that over 100 years ago. The greenhouse effect can be tested in laboratory, and if you would look around, you would see the warming. Also there is enough evidence in the NASA-link that I posted earlier for everyone who can read. ;)
Quote:
Fall of the Hockey Stick
http://a-sceptical-mind.com/the-rise-an ... ckey-stick
{Snip}
Eventually a US senate committee of inquiry was set up under the chairmanship of Edward Wegman a highly respected Professor of mathematics and statistics and in 2006 his report was published. You can download it here.

The report examined the background to Mann’s Hockey Stick paper, the paper itself, the critique of it by McIntyre and McKitrick and took evidence from all the key players. Interestingly Wegman’s committee commissioned some original research into how the small world of climatology actually worked. The study of the social networking of the paleoclimatology world showed how closed it was and how often a small group of scientists both co-wrote and peer reviewed each others papers. For work that depended so much on making statistical claims about trends it was noted that it was surprising that no statisticians ever seemed to be involved in either the research work itself or its peer review.

The key finding in the WEgman Report was that “Our committee believes that the assessments that the decade of the 1990s was the hottest decade in a millennium and that 1998 was the hottest year in a millennium cannot be supported by the MBH98/99 [the technical name of Mann's original Hockey Stick paper]”


The other conclusions of the Wegman Report are also very interesting; It listed the following conclusions:

Conclusion 1. The politicization of academic scholarly work leads to confusing public debates. Scholarly papers published in peer reviewed journals are considered the archival record of research. There is usually no requirement to archive supplemental material such as code and data. Consequently, the supplementary material for academic work is often poorly documented and archived and is not sufficiently robust to withstand intense public debate. In the present example there was too much reliance on peer review, which seemed not to be sufficiently independent.

Conclusion 2. Sharing of research materials, data, and results is haphazard and often grudgingly done. We were especially struck by Dr. Mann’s insistence that the code he developed was his intellectual property and that he could legally hold it personally without disclosing it to peers. When code and data are not shared and methodology is not fully disclosed, peers do not have the ability to replicate the work and thus independent verification is impossible.

Conclusion 3. As statisticians, we were struck by the isolation of communities such as the paleoclimate community that rely heavily on statistical methods, yet do not seem to be interacting with the mainstream statistical community. The public policy implications of this debate are financially staggering and yet apparently no independent statistical expertise was sought or used.

Conclusion 4. While the paleoclimate reconstruction has gathered much publicity because it reinforces a policy agenda, it does not provide insight and understanding of the physical mechanisms of climate change except to the extent that tree ring, ice cores and such give physical evidence such as the prevalence of green-house gases. What is needed is deeper understanding of the physical mechanisms of climate change.


Generally the response of the IPCC, the supporters of the CO2 hypothesis and the broader coalition of climate campaigners to all this was a cross between a sneer and a yawn, and the Hockey Stick continued to be used widely as a campaigning and propaganda tool.

It is still being used today.

In 2008 the BBC paid for a large truck to tour central London displaying a giant version of Mann’s Hockey Stick as part of the promotion of its very pro CO2 warming mini series called “Climate Wars”.
http://a-sceptical-mind.com/the-rise-an ... ckey-stick
;) But we've covered this before. right? :roll:

_________________
Even so, never go to a gunfight without a gun and, if you intend to win, never go to a religious war without religion. You'll lose.
tomkratman.com


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: STUDY: BBC 'TWICE AS LIKELY' TO AIR LIBERAL-LEANING STOR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:19 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 12840
Reputation points: 2776
abradley wrote:
nero wrote:
...
Only creation "theories" bring life from nothing, while Abiogenesis or biopoiesis is a natural process by which life arises from simple organic compounds.

As for the CO2 you are wrong on both of your cases:

1) Humans have created the excess CO2 in the atmosphere during the two last centuries burning coal and oil.

Image

2) CO2 is a greenhouse gas, Svante Arrhenius proved that over 100 years ago. The greenhouse effect can be tested in laboratory, and if you would look around, you would see the warming. Also there is enough evidence in the NASA-link that I posted earlier for everyone who can read. ;)
Quote:
Fall of the Hockey Stick
http://a-sceptical-mind.com/the-rise-an ... ckey-stick
{Snip}
Eventually a US senate committee of inquiry was set up under the chairmanship of Edward Wegman a highly respected Professor of mathematics and statistics and in 2006 his report was published. You can download it here.

The report examined the background to Mann’s Hockey Stick paper, the paper itself, the critique of it by McIntyre and McKitrick and took evidence from all the key players. Interestingly Wegman’s committee commissioned some original research into how the small world of climatology actually worked. The study of the social networking of the paleoclimatology world showed how closed it was and how often a small group of scientists both co-wrote and peer reviewed each others papers. For work that depended so much on making statistical claims about trends it was noted that it was surprising that no statisticians ever seemed to be involved in either the research work itself or its peer review.

The key finding in the WEgman Report was that “Our committee believes that the assessments that the decade of the 1990s was the hottest decade in a millennium and that 1998 was the hottest year in a millennium cannot be supported by the MBH98/99 [the technical name of Mann's original Hockey Stick paper]”


The other conclusions of the Wegman Report are also very interesting; It listed the following conclusions:

Conclusion 1. The politicization of academic scholarly work leads to confusing public debates. Scholarly papers published in peer reviewed journals are considered the archival record of research. There is usually no requirement to archive supplemental material such as code and data. Consequently, the supplementary material for academic work is often poorly documented and archived and is not sufficiently robust to withstand intense public debate. In the present example there was too much reliance on peer review, which seemed not to be sufficiently independent.

Conclusion 2. Sharing of research materials, data, and results is haphazard and often grudgingly done. We were especially struck by Dr. Mann’s insistence that the code he developed was his intellectual property and that he could legally hold it personally without disclosing it to peers. When code and data are not shared and methodology is not fully disclosed, peers do not have the ability to replicate the work and thus independent verification is impossible.

Conclusion 3. As statisticians, we were struck by the isolation of communities such as the paleoclimate community that rely heavily on statistical methods, yet do not seem to be interacting with the mainstream statistical community. The public policy implications of this debate are financially staggering and yet apparently no independent statistical expertise was sought or used.

Conclusion 4. While the paleoclimate reconstruction has gathered much publicity because it reinforces a policy agenda, it does not provide insight and understanding of the physical mechanisms of climate change except to the extent that tree ring, ice cores and such give physical evidence such as the prevalence of green-house gases. What is needed is deeper understanding of the physical mechanisms of climate change.


Generally the response of the IPCC, the supporters of the CO2 hypothesis and the broader coalition of climate campaigners to all this was a cross between a sneer and a yawn, and the Hockey Stick continued to be used widely as a campaigning and propaganda tool.

It is still being used today.

In 2008 the BBC paid for a large truck to tour central London displaying a giant version of Mann’s Hockey Stick as part of the promotion of its very pro CO2 warming mini series called “Climate Wars”.
http://a-sceptical-mind.com/the-rise-an ... ckey-stick
;) But we've covered this before. right? :roll:

The hockey stick shows the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere during the last 400k years, not temperature. :roll:

But that old BS that things has been cooling since 1998 is, ..., BS. What has global warming done since 1998?.

But that is most likely too nuanced for you, first it is not faith based, and second it needs some understanding of mathematics. That's why you and Doggie share seats in the same ship of fools. :lol:

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: STUDY: BBC 'TWICE AS LIKELY' TO AIR LIBERAL-LEANING STOR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:01 pm 
Offline
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 14051
Reputation points: 8907
nero wrote:

But that is most likely too nuanced for you, first it is not faith based, and second it needs some understanding of mathematics. That's why you and Doggie share seats in the same ship of fools. :lol:
Stop being an ass, or is that too much to expect from you.

_________________
Even so, never go to a gunfight without a gun and, if you intend to win, never go to a religious war without religion. You'll lose.
tomkratman.com


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: STUDY: BBC 'TWICE AS LIKELY' TO AIR LIBERAL-LEANING STOR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:03 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 10594
Reputation points: 11323
Much depends on the axes you select.

Image

Doesn't look very high at all when you look at it that way...

If CO2 levels got much lower than they were then plants would no longer be able to survive. So maybe we saved the world. :lol:

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: STUDY: BBC 'TWICE AS LIKELY' TO AIR LIBERAL-LEANING STOR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:52 pm 
Offline
Staff Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:49 pm
Posts: 3753
Reputation points: 9637
That won't get you pussy.

_________________
Would an ape make a human doll that TALKS?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: STUDY: BBC 'TWICE AS LIKELY' TO AIR LIBERAL-LEANING STOR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:07 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 12840
Reputation points: 2776
EUBanana wrote:
Much depends on the axes you select.

Image

Doesn't look very high at all when you look at it that way...

If CO2 levels got much lower than they were then plants would no longer be able to survive. So maybe we saved the world. :lol:

Yes, the graph I linked covers only the last 400k years.

But I recommend that you watch all of this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52KLGqDSAjo&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL82yk73N8eoX-Xobr_TfHsWPfAIyI7VAP[/youtube]

Do it with your Slovak sweetheart. ;)

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: STUDY: BBC 'TWICE AS LIKELY' TO AIR LIBERAL-LEANING STOR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:23 am 
Offline
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 14051
Reputation points: 8907
Quote:
Latest result of global warming: cooler temperatures
By MICHAEL BARONE | AUGUST 28, 2013 AT 9:15 PM

http://washingtonexaminer.com/latest-re ... le/2534853

It’s the coolest summer in a century, or at least the government is reporting the fewest number of 100 degree days at U.S. HCN (Historical Climatology Network) stations. Yet I’m sure that somewhere someone is arguing that this is a result of man-made global warming — or, er, climate change. For years, global warming alarmists have claimed that any unusual or unpleasant weather is the result of global warming, even as, inconveniently, global temperatures seem to have plateaued or fallen over the last 15 years, contrary to global warming theory.

The science is settled, alarmists like to insist. But science is never settled; scientific theories are by definition falsifiable and sometimes are falsified. Recently Interior Secretary Sally Jewell assured an audience of DOI employees that everyone there believed in global warming. This is an exhortation more appropriate for a religious service than a regulatory agency meeting. For many global warming has become a substitute for religious, with rituals (recycling), festivals (Earth Day) and even indulgences (carbon offsets for Al Gore’s private jet travel). Sally Jewell’s exhortation was just another form of worship.

Does this mean that global warming theories have been conclusively refuted? No. There’s a difference between weather (short-term) and climate (long-term). If carbon dioxide emissions were the only factor affecting climate, then global warming alarmist theories would indubitably be correct. But other factors seem to affect climate as well — like the sun, clouds, oceans and the interactions between them and other factors. Scientists don’t fully understand how these factors interact. It makes sense for policymakers and citizens to keep an eye out for possible climate change and to think about how to mitigate any negative effects. But for the moment let’s appreciate this summer’s moderate temperatures.

_________________
Even so, never go to a gunfight without a gun and, if you intend to win, never go to a religious war without religion. You'll lose.
tomkratman.com


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group