maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:58 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18675
Immunotherapy in 8 weeks btw. It's not actually approved by the NHS yet.

It will be... in 8 weeks. :lol: talk about right on the cutting edge, at least of British healthcare. There are other immunotherapies the NHS does provide already but my oncologist thinks this new one is the one to go for, with the best results.

( Best results, wots that then? Well, immunotherapy is very random at the moment. Seems like from peeking at studies its about a 25% chance it works really well and you get as they say a 'durable remission', a 25% it helps a bit, and a 50% chance it does bugger all. I guess... for cancer that's a pretty good success chance?

In the meantime I got to get off the steroids because immunotherapy (which boosts the immune system) and steroids (which do the opposite) don't mix, so that eight weeks delay will be put to good use. Apparently if i can't get off them it's not the end of the world, as they can switch steroid to a less fierce one than the one I'm on right now.

Also they want to do some time lapse scans of my femur and the cancer there to assess how quickly it's growing - apparently renal cancer is weird, and when you take out the primary site, ie the kidney, the other metastases often slow their growth. Which seems to be the case for the other tiny lil bits they found in me here and there. They also said that after the surgery the total amount of cancer in me, which is an important metric, is actually pretty low. Not many cells left I... guess the prognosis right now at least is actually pretty good, when tempered with the fact that the disease overall is about as shit as it gets anyway. 50% die in year 1 apparently, I don't think that's gonna be me though.

Just as well. 7 months in already. Time flies....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:50 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 932
EUBanana wrote:
Just as well. 7 months in already. Time flies....

Criticize NHS a little. Just to comfort the Americans. ;)

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:51 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 13213
I am a lousy friend. Glad you are doing well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:04 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18675
Just got out of hospital from the first immunotherapy dose.

"For a single dose of immunotherapy, the average wholesale price (AWP) from RED BOOK™ in 2015 for a 70kg patient was $5,732 for nivolumab, $33,162 for ipilimumab, and $35,073 for combination therapy.".

Getting my tax rebate now, I think the NHS pays half the above but still, thats not exactly cheap.

Not much to say. Two drips, 30 minutes each, a lot of paperwork and consent forms to sign. My liver might explode now, or I might shit myself to death. Or nothing, not everybody has side effects, most don't apparently.

Hope it works. 50/50

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:18 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18312
Wishing you well, hoping for the best, fingers crossed and May the Force be With you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:47 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 932
EUBanana wrote:
Just got out of hospital from the first immunotherapy dose.

"For a single dose of immunotherapy, the average wholesale price (AWP) from RED BOOK™ in 2015 for a 70kg patient was $5,732 for nivolumab, $33,162 for ipilimumab, and $35,073 for combination therapy.".

Getting my tax rebate now, I think the NHS pays half the above but still, thats not exactly cheap.

Not much to say. Two drips, 30 minutes each, a lot of paperwork and consent forms to sign. My liver might explode now, or I might shit myself to death. Or nothing, not everybody has side effects, most don't apparently.

Hope it works. 50/50

Godspeed.

PS. I know that you are not religious, and neither am I. But what else can I say. Good luck.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:37 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 11628
Again I wish the best for you. Thank you for the informations you give us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:38 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 20000
Wishing the best of British to you mate.

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:50 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Good luck on your treatments Banana.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19