maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:58 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 12056
Reputation points: 18675
Immunotherapy in 8 weeks btw. It's not actually approved by the NHS yet.

It will be... in 8 weeks. :lol: talk about right on the cutting edge, at least of British healthcare. There are other immunotherapies the NHS does provide already but my oncologist thinks this new one is the one to go for, with the best results.

( Best results, wots that then? Well, immunotherapy is very random at the moment. Seems like from peeking at studies its about a 25% chance it works really well and you get as they say a 'durable remission', a 25% it helps a bit, and a 50% chance it does bugger all. I guess... for cancer that's a pretty good success chance?

In the meantime I got to get off the steroids because immunotherapy (which boosts the immune system) and steroids (which do the opposite) don't mix, so that eight weeks delay will be put to good use. Apparently if i can't get off them it's not the end of the world, as they can switch steroid to a less fierce one than the one I'm on right now.

Also they want to do some time lapse scans of my femur and the cancer there to assess how quickly it's growing - apparently renal cancer is weird, and when you take out the primary site, ie the kidney, the other metastases often slow their growth. Which seems to be the case for the other tiny lil bits they found in me here and there. They also said that after the surgery the total amount of cancer in me, which is an important metric, is actually pretty low. Not many cells left I... guess the prognosis right now at least is actually pretty good, when tempered with the fact that the disease overall is about as shit as it gets anyway. 50% die in year 1 apparently, I don't think that's gonna be me though.

Just as well. 7 months in already. Time flies....

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:50 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 19175
Reputation points: 932
EUBanana wrote:
...
Just as well. 7 months in already. Time flies....

Criticize NHS a little. Just to comfort the Americans. ;)

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:51 am 
Offline
Staff Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:49 pm
Posts: 4192
Reputation points: 13213
I am a lousy friend. Glad you are doing well.

_________________
Would an ape make a human doll that TALKS?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:04 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 12056
Reputation points: 18675
Just got out of hospital from the first immunotherapy dose.

"For a single dose of immunotherapy, the average wholesale price (AWP) from RED BOOK™ in 2015 for a 70kg patient was $5,732 for nivolumab, $33,162 for ipilimumab, and $35,073 for combination therapy.".

Getting my tax rebate now, I think the NHS pays half the above but still, thats not exactly cheap.

Not much to say. Two drips, 30 minutes each, a lot of paperwork and consent forms to sign. My liver might explode now, or I might shit myself to death. Or nothing, not everybody has side effects, most don't apparently.

Hope it works. 50/50

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:18 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 14971
Location: inside your worst nightmare
Reputation points: 18312
Wishing you well, hoping for the best, fingers crossed and May the Force be With you!

_________________
Anthro's NSFW Thread


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:47 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 19175
Reputation points: 932
EUBanana wrote:
Just got out of hospital from the first immunotherapy dose.

"For a single dose of immunotherapy, the average wholesale price (AWP) from RED BOOK™ in 2015 for a 70kg patient was $5,732 for nivolumab, $33,162 for ipilimumab, and $35,073 for combination therapy.".

Getting my tax rebate now, I think the NHS pays half the above but still, thats not exactly cheap.

Not much to say. Two drips, 30 minutes each, a lot of paperwork and consent forms to sign. My liver might explode now, or I might shit myself to death. Or nothing, not everybody has side effects, most don't apparently.

Hope it works. 50/50

Godspeed.

PS. I know that you are not religious, and neither am I. But what else can I say. Good luck.

_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:37 pm 
Offline
Staff Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:42 am
Posts: 4282
Location: France
Reputation points: 11628
Again I wish the best for you. Thank you for the informations you give us.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:38 pm 
Offline
First Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:16 am
Posts: 7616
Location: The Cockney Paradise
Reputation points: 20000
Wishing the best of British to you mate.

_________________
I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain tumour
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:50 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 35417
Location: West coast of the east coast
Reputation points: 20000
Good luck on your treatments Banana.

_________________
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group