maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1498 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 150  Next
 Post subject: Re: EU and Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:51 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17305
Seems like a lot of elected officials in Great Britain who are suspects of attempted tyranny to me.

Am I over simplyfing? The people voted two years ago to "EXIT the E.U."

The only folks who seem to be petitioning to deliver this to the people are so-called "hard-line Brexiters." Everyone else seems to be skirting this electoral imperative in one way or another and seeking to circumvent it in one way or another.

If someone can come up with some legitimate argument why that vote needs to be invalidated, and another one taken that is of course an argument that needs to be heard. But that doesn't even seem to be what the "deal makers" and "Remainers" are on about. They just seem to regard the referendum as a "suggestion" of some sort, not a legal, and moral imperative.

When elected officials do NOT regard the results of fair and sound ELECTIONS as a legal and moral imperative, they are making themselves into suspects of tyranny. It seems quite simple to me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 687
I just wonder if there any brexiter plans to have the old money system back; to have shilling, bob back. One pound equals to 20 shillings and one shilling equals to 12 pence (not the vice president over the pond).

And there is a lot of tradition about the money. People talk about things they feel not having enough, like money and sex.

But here it is about Britain and you have to keep the stiff upper lip and think about the Empire.

Old English Money.

:lol:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Some brexit disInformation I recently heard from usually reliable sources. When May's brexit deal obviously fails in the parliament, she puts the parliament to vote for the second referendum. And this time the two options are May's deal and to remain.

A perfect win-win for the Theresa Remainer. Once again I have to say she is a tough ass bitch, a dancing queen with two left legs. :shock:

Thoughus luckus brexitus.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:37 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 20000
It's all gone tits up...

Quote:
Theresa May says she has called off Tuesday's crucial vote on her Brexit deal because it "would be rejected by a significant margin".

She said MPs backed much of the deal she has struck with the EU but there was concern over the Northern Irish backstop.

She said she believed she could still get the deal through if she addressed MPs' concerns.

And that, she added, was what she intended to do in the next few days.

However, Speaker John Bercow - who chairs debates in the House of Commons - called on the government to give MPs a vote on whether Tuesday's vote should be cancelled, saying it was the "right and obvious" thing to do given how angry some MPs were about the cancellation.

But Downing Street looks set to reject his plea.

In her statement Mrs May said she would be "deferring" the Commons vote until she had made efforts to address concerns over the Northern Ireland border "backstop" plan - the measures agreed to avoid the return to a physical border.

Theresa May has not so far indicated when the Commons vote on her deal will be held.

She said the UK's departure date from the EU - 29 March next year - was written into law and the government was "committed" to delivering on it.

Mrs May told MPs she would be speaking to EU leaders ahead of a summit later this week, about the "clear concerns" expressed by MPs about the backstop.

And she would also be "looking closely at new ways of empowering the House of Commons to ensure that any provision for a backstop has democratic legitimacy".

She wants to enable MPs to place obligations on the government "to ensure that the backstop cannot be in place indefinitely".

Dozens of Conservative MPs had been planning to join forces with Labour, the SNP, the Lib Dems, Plaid Cymru and the DUP to vote down Mrs May's deal.

The Tory rebels and the DUP do not like the Northern Ireland "backstop", a legally-binding proposal for a customs arrangement with the EU, which would come into force if the two sides' cannot agree a future relationship which avoids the return of a visible Northern Ireland border.

Tory MPs say it is unacceptable because it would result in new regulatory barriers between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK and could continue indefinitely, because the UK would not be able to leave without the EU's approval.

Theresa May again rejected all other alternatives that have been proposed to her deal - including a further referendum and leaving without a deal.

She said her deal "gives us control of our borders, our money and our laws - it protects jobs, security and our Union".

"It is the right deal for Britain. I am determined to do all I can to secure the reassurances this House requires, to get this deal over the line and deliver for the British people," she added.

Asked by Lib Dem leader Sir Vince Cable if EU leaders would be ready to ditch the backstop, she they had shown they aware of MPs' concerns that the backstop should be temporary.

"A number of European leaders I've spoken to have indicated that they are open to discussions to find a way to provide reassurance to members of this House on that point," she added.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said the prime minister had "lost control of events" and the government was in "complete chaos" - and urged her to stand down.

Mr Corbyn faced a call from Sir Vince Cable, who is campaigning for a further referendum, to table a vote of no confidence in the prime minister, which he said his party would back.

SNP leader and Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon earlier tweeted to Jeremy Corbyn: "If Labour, as official opposition, lodges motion of no confidence in this incompetent government tomorrow, @theSNP will support & we can then work together to give people the chance to stop Brexit in another vote. This shambles can't go on - so how about it?"

Leading Conservative Brexiteer Jacob Rees-Mogg said in a statement that Mrs May lacked the "gumption" to put her "undeliverable" deal before MPs.

"This is not governing, it risks putting Jeremy Corbyn into government by failing to deliver Brexit. We cannot continue like this. The prime minister must either govern or quit."

Mr Rees-Mogg is trying to get enough Tory MPs to submit letters of no confidence in the PM to trigger a leadership contest.

The pound fell sharply in response to the reports earlier of a likely delay to the Commons vote, shedding 0.5% versus the US dollar to stand at $1.26, an 18-month low. The pound was 0.8% down against the euro.

Mrs May's Commons statement will be followed by a statement from Commons leader Andrea Leadsom - and then a statement from the Brexit secretary Stephen Barclay on Article 50 - the legal mechanism taking the UK out of the EU on 29 March.

The deputy leader of the DUP - the Northern Ireland party whose backing Theresa May needs to win key votes - Nigel Dodds, said the situation was "quite frankly a bit of a shambles" and the PM was paying the price for crossing her "red lines" when it came to Northern Ireland.

He told Mrs May: "Come back with the changes to the withdrawal agreement or it will be voted down."

DUP leader Arlene Foster said she had told the prime minister in a phone call that the "backstop must go".

Theresa May's deal has been agreed with the EU - but it needs to be backed by the UK Parliament if it is to become law ahead of the UK's departure.

Mrs May has also been speaking to EU leaders about re-opening the withdrawal agreement, something both sides have previously ruled out.

But European Commission spokeswoman Mina Andreeva said the EU would not renegotiate the Withdrawal Agreement.

"As President Juncker said, this deal is the best and only deal possible," she said.

The BBC's Brussels reporter Adam Fleming said Mrs May was "trying get more legal oomph behind the language" in the withdrawal agreement about the EU using "best endeavours" to get a trade deal which would remove the need for the backstop to be used.

It comes as the European Court of Justice ruled the UK could cancel Brexit without the permission of the other 27 EU members.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46509288

Attachment:
addtext_com_MTIzMTA5NDM3Ng.png
addtext_com_MTIzMTA5NDM3Ng.png [ 158.03 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17305
Quote:
She said the UK's departure date from the EU - 29 March next year - was written into law and the government was "committed" to delivering on it.

Well, there is this. Granted, one sentence in a sea of other sentences which all suggest the almost exact OPPOSITE of what that sentence says (quite clearly).

There seem to be a couple of explanations? (1) May is "talking out both sides of her mouth?" Meaning: she is willing to say things like the paraphrase above because she knows it is the truth, while at the same time saying things which contradict the paraphrase above because she know it "helps" her cause somehow?? (2) Politicians no longer speak actual English in Great Britain? (3) Either they think their voters are brain-damaged or THEY are brain-damaged!?

I mean, IF she actually SAID the sentence paraphrased above, and she actually MEANT IT: then _WHY_ all this fucking hoopla about "deals" and the constant suggestions that "we cannot, we shall not leave unless we can get a deal!?"

If she said that sentence above AND MEANT IT, then I'd expect the message to be clear, and consistent and indeed REPETITIVE: "It is a legal REQUIREMENT, that the U.K. leave the E.U. by no later than 29 March 2019. NOTHING any of us say or do can change that legal REQUIREMENT, and frankly sacred democratic duty to this country. Any discussion of attempting to avoid that duty or forego that legal requirement is frankly action suspiciously verging toward tyranny. We, the elected officials of this country MUST deliver Brexit, or we are failing to fulfill our duty to our people and even guilty of criminal treason against those people . . . Now, shall we talk about HOW this is going to happen?"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:49 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
Quote:

Well, there is this. Granted, one sentence in a sea of other sentences which all suggest the almost exact OPPOSITE of what that sentence says (quite clearly).

There seem to be a couple of explanations? (1) May is "talking out both sides of her mouth?" Meaning: she is willing to say things like the paraphrase above because she knows it is the truth, while at the same time saying things which contradict the paraphrase above because she know it "helps" her cause somehow?? (2) Politicians no longer speak actual English in Great Britain? (3) Either they think their voters are brain-damaged or THEY are brain-damaged!?

I mean, IF she actually SAID the sentence paraphrased above, and she actually MEANT IT: then _WHY_ all this fucking hoopla about "deals" and the constant suggestions that "we cannot, we shall not leave unless we can get a deal!?"

If she said that sentence above AND MEANT IT, then I'd expect the message to be clear, and consistent and indeed REPETITIVE: "It is a legal REQUIREMENT, that the U.K. leave the E.U. by no later than 29 March 2019. NOTHING any of us say or do can change that legal REQUIREMENT, and frankly sacred democratic duty to this country. Any discussion of attempting to avoid that duty or forego that legal requirement is frankly action suspiciously verging toward tyranny. We, the elected officials of this country MUST deliver Brexit, or we are failing to fulfill our duty to our people and even guilty of criminal treason against those people . . . Now, shall we talk about HOW this is going to happen?"

The Parliament can vote a new law if it chooses to. And the EU court just made a decision: Brexit ruling: UK can cancel decision, EU court says.

Cry me a river. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:25 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 20000
Attachment:
1544476288654.png
1544476288654.png [ 786.16 KiB | Viewed 396 times ]

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:13 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17550

Worthless shites they are.

Boris has had a haircut though, I guess things are serious.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:26 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17550

Oh my...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:12 am 
Sergeant Major

EUBanana wrote:
Oh my...

Speaker Bercow having difficulties with his composure after the ejaculation joke.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1498 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 150  Next