maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Harumpfh. English Gentlemen hardly need lectures on manners from some rabid colonial bumpkin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 111  Next
 Post subject: Re: EU and Brexit
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:43 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2018/1 ... lock-cuts/

Quote:
EU ‘Secretly’ Plots to Control UK Tax After Brexit and Block Cuts

20 Oct 201894
2:48

The European Union (EU) is plotting to control Britain’s tax policy after Brexit and block the British from lowering rates, leaked documents have revealed.

The bloc wants the United Kingdom to keep its taxes aligned with theirs after the divorce, curtailing the departing member-state’s sovereignty and stopping Britain from competing with the EU economically, the draft proposals seen by the Telegraph indicate.

Depending on the wording of any future agreement, Britain could be forced to follow any future changes to the EU’s tax rates, even years after Brexit, while having no say in making those changes.

The document was reportedly drafted by the European Parliament’s TAX3 secretariat following a meeting last week with the bloc’s Brexit Task Force, which is led by chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier.

Jacob Rees-Mogg

@Jacob_Rees_Mogg
The answer must be no.https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... es-brexit/

3:33 AM - Oct 20, 2018

“The objective is that the UK will abide by the tools adopted at EU level to fight tax evasion/avoidance,” it reads.

The move could block Britain from slashing taxes to boost trade and attract firms from the continent, something Brexiteers have repeatedly called for. Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond even threatened to do this if the EU was uncooperative and failed to agree a trade pact with the United Kingdom during the Brexit negotiations.

The EU has been open about its ambition to clamp down on low-tax member-states, including ­Ireland, and has long called for a universal corporation tax rate.

Prime Minister Theresa May has already made a raft of concessions to the EU, agreeing to pay Brussels tens of billions in exit fees, to allow Free Movement migration from the bloc to continue for years after Brexit, and to follow all EU-set rules on goods and agri-products.

On the subject of the tax proposals, Leave Means Leave co-chairman John Longworth blasted: “These leaked documents confirm what leavers have feared all along, that the EU will stop at nothing to stifle Britain’s competitiveness post-Brexit.

“An agreement on tax provisions would of course also bind us to future regulations. If they are keeping this ­secret, what else are they planning for us?

“If Chequers wasn’t bad enough, it’s clear Brussels are expect us to cave in further. We are now facing a complete sell-out.”

Jacob Rees-Mogg, a leading Tory Brexiteer, added: “The worrying thing about this is that the EU wants more power over our taxes once we leave than when we were a member of the EU.

“This is part of a punishment Brexit and only serves to reiterate why it’s so important we leave. We need to free ourselves from such an uncompetitive structure before it is too late.”

If this is accurate, it reveals that the EU officials are negotiating in bad faith.

The best thing for the UK to do might be to simply rip the bandaid off and declare: "As of (such and such date). the UK is unilaterally ending its adherence to any and all EU laws, policies, procedures & guidelines. LONG LIVE BRITANNIA!"

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:55 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16550
Ripping off the band aid was always the best idea.

The problem isn't really the EU, they can't do anything when it comes down to it. Just tell em to bog off, simples. It's more the pro-EU, and also incredibly bureaucratic and legalistic, attitude by our politicians and civil service. They simply won't. At any price.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:18 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 720
EUBanana wrote:
nero wrote:
I can not be so ignorant when I manage piss you off so royally. :lol:

We have one thing definitely in common - getting pissed off by ignorance.

Think it over. ;)

I assume your we means brexitists and trumpetists. :lol:

A mission accomplished. :mrgreen:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:09 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:
I assume your we means brexitists and trumpetists. :lol:

We, as in me and you.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt"

The problem is, you can be stupid about things you don't know, intelligent about the things you do - and lack the wisdom to know whether you're talking out of the brain, or the fundament, at any given time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:22 pm 
Sergeant Major

EUBanana wrote:
We, as in me and you.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt"

The problem is, you can be stupid about things you don't know, intelligent about the things you do - and lack the wisdom to know whether you're talking out of the brain, or the fundament, at any given time.

Now you got me, hit and sink.

Sometimes I am just stupid, sometimes rude, and my bad jokes are legendary. This time a combination of the three.

Take care.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:23 am 
Sergeant Major

All is going well, trust me. -- Brexiteer idiocy.

Look will get a blue passport. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:07 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16086
Why would exiting the EU have any negative impact on the U.K.?

If you cannot explain that in 500 words or less, and with reference to specific facts and figures which are verifiable and do NOT involve projections or estimates or other economic voodoo then you are only speculating. Speculation is cheap and when it comes with a side of partisan bigotry, in-group supremacism and ideological zeal it is also Nazi.

Once again Nero is Nazi.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:11 am 
Sergeant Major

The EU's predictions and records of economic glory have been absolutely dire, if you look back at the last 20 years or so.

The Euro, people said it would be a catastrophe before they brought it in. The nomenklatura admitted it was a political, not an economic project, so there you go - they didn't care about any economic risk, they wanted their euro, because it's basically a prison for national economies, makes splitting up the EU harder, it was a driver for integration. They cared a hell of a lot more about that then whether it made people better off. Well, we have the euro now, and yup, it was a disaster. What happened was even predicted, broadly speaking, because it was so obvious. The EU likes to blame Greece and blame Italy. Well, they are hardly going to blame themselves, are they, I call complete BS on that, and it's a bit of a laugh to see them fob off their idiotic ideas onto people that they forced into a certain course of action, with troikas and viceroys and threats.

The Commissions own study on the single market in services says its non functional, and has had zero benefit. Most of the modern economy is services. So the EU themselves know it's basically a rounding error of bonus.

More broadly there's quite a lot of research on FTAs and customs unions in general, not just the EU but as a principle. How much benefit they give is generally very small. It simply isn't a big deal in the great scheme of things. Especially in 2018. Worldwide tariffs are at the lowest in modern human history, if ever there was an age for being completely non-plussed about tariff issues it's now. There's a reason why I'm wearing a Chinese shirt right now. If we had swingeing 100% Imperial Preference tariffs like we did in 1860, maybe there's be something to worry about. But a couple of % on goods, which is the norm, means we don't. NVM that the EU puts a lot of tariffs on us on things we don't even have an industry for. Like we pay a huge orange tariff to protect Sicily. The UK does not have an orange industry to protect. We ain't gonna be paying orange tariffs in 5 years, I'm pretty sure, unless for some reason the British government cares more about Sicily than the UK, which of course given recent events would not surprise me at all.

Then there's the empirical observation that most of the world is not in the EU, and most of the world is doing just fine. In fact a lot of the world, is doing rather better. The EU is big, but the fact is it's the most sclerotic economy in the western world. It's like people are frickin' blind or something, if the sort of youth unemployment in Italy is success, or creating a Great Depression in Greece is, then what the hell is failure? and even the success stories are just sort of ticking along rather than success. US economic growth is kicking the EU's ass at the moment - and that despite the fact that half the EU is actually somewhat poor, and it's quite easy to have high growth in places like Slovakia, because Slovakia is starting from a low point. Did you know New Zealand has a GDP per capita just behind Germany, and double the growth? New Zealand for gods sake. They are one of the most isolated advanced economies on Earth, and their worldwide political influence is basically zero (no offence to Kiwis ;)). Germany has every built in advantage they can get from dominating the EU, from the euro being their oyster. When it comes to $$$, it avails them not, it seems to me.

Then there's the political knowledge that as they keep saying, in their own words, the EU is a political project. You see this economic focus and you'd think it's a get rich scheme, but come on. It's propaganda, it's a bribe, put up with our BS and you get money. When it boils down to it it's not a get rich scheme, they want to create a nation state, and any riches accrued are entirely incidental - in fact, based on the economic history in Europe you've got ample evidence, again and again, that if it comes down to economic sanity or union, union wins every time when it comes down to it.

Given they push bullshit like the GDPR and constantly overregulate, I would suggest that economic success is not even a priority for these guys, because stuff like that isn't going to make anybody rich, in fact the opposite. In fact I think given their attitude over Northern Ireland, over Greece, over Italy, I see no actual evidence they give a f*** about prosperity whatsoever, at least not when set against the political power of the Union. So. If anything they are spending prosperity, to create their empire.

Oh and then there's the fact that every single prediction made over Brexit already has been completely, 180 arse about face wrong. And yes, that includes 'before the leaving date' excuses, the Bank of England was quite happy to predict events days after the vote, before any leaving happened. Wrong. Utterly. Why on earth should I believe such a broken weathervane as that in the future.

Given the so obviously biased nature of the British establishment, given the quite crystal clear aims and motivations and methods of the EU which are hardly secret ( The weirdest thing to me is how honest they are about their goals and motivations and methods, and yet nobody seems to listen to them ), really why on earth should I give these predictions the time of day. Economic prognostication is infamously difficult, and when you have such a loaded bunch as these guys, I would say it's even more useless than the usual sort.

Obviously, I expect economic disruption from Brexit. Business works best in placid waters, which clearly are not placid now. That makes sense, and I accept it. I consider it a price worth paying, so there's that tone deaf thing I'm saying Nero - you're trying to scare me by talking about something I literally voted for in full awareness. Unsurprisingly I'm not moved even remotely by it. If you look at the polls, Brexiteers are not idiots, they arent expecting $$$ out of this, they are expecting at least short term economic pain. They voted for it anyway, like me, with open eyes, because they think it's worth it. Not everything is about the almighty C-Bill. Certainly the EU has that attitude so why do you think we should? If anything the EU is looking to cause as much trouble as possible, presumably pour encourager les autres, even though it is at a cost to themselves. The cost they are prepared to soak, to achieve their political objectives, just like me. The fact they seem to be deliberately stirring the pot in Northern Ireland of a 20 year plus dead issue that once upon a time was getting people killed tells me everything you need to know. I can think of few things lower or more irresponsible. Moral my ass. (BTW, for any Irish republicans, apparently in the last poll only 22% of the Northern Irish wanted to quit the UK over Brexit. So while those fed a diet of propaganda might be surprised by the truth, actually they aren't going to be happy about being abruptly carved off by EU imperialism I'm afraid - you woulda thought the DUP running the place all the time would be a bit of a giveway - and imperialism is precisely what it is. Maybe just wait 20 years and let demographics take its democratic and peaceful course rather than trying to act like the USSR in 1980.)

Last edited by EUBanana on Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:38 am 
Sergeant Major

day off. That means I get to write a huge screed. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:00 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16086
Now THAT was a well-stated, well-argued, well-supported "screed!"

Woulda thumbed ya up but rep Nazi . . .

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 111  Next