maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Surviving the Obama Regime
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:43 pm 
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth

Reputation points: 16218
Seeing as how The Messiah is going to turn our lives into a Grapes of Wrath redux and revive the good old days our ancestors experienced in the Great Depression, now is the time to catch up on your basic survival skills.

First off is scratch made food, since we aint going to be able to afford Big Macs and microwave dinners anymore.

The Dog already knows how to make biscuits - just throw some flour, milk, eggs, and shortening into a pan and roll it out. Cornbread is just as simple, but what about other things?

What kind of stuff can you cook over a wood fire or in an improvised dutch oven from the shelter of your refridgerator packing crate? How about old fashioned coffee from a steel pot? The stuff in the Piggly Wiggly is ground too fine for an old fashioned perculator, and we aint going to be able to afford fancy schmancy coffee filters soon enough.

Recipes for making your own gunpowder from nightsoil and charcoal would go here, along with making butter and cheese and other lost arts.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Surviving the Obama Regime
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:29 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Not really a recipe, but a good cost saving idea. You know those little slivers of soap left over at the end of the bar...well instead of throwing them out...take them in the palms of your hands and compress them together..then set it up on an old plate to dry out a with a couple of toothpicks in it so it won't stick to the plate and ruin all your hard work. If you are going to be using this for guests at your house, make sure you don't get any little hairs caught in your new bar. Some people would find that unsanitary. Also, dont forget to take the toothpicks out..that coudl be dangerous.

If you have different kind of soaps, you can call it a "potpourri bar"..people love it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:22 pm 

I really was a West Virginia hillbilly, and my relatives used to make lye soap at hog killing time. I was too young to be taught the recipe. It involves lard and lots of lye.

I was taught how to fix up various critters. Squirrels, raccoons, 'possums, etc. Just make a cut in the scruff of the fur and pull it apart. Cut off head, feet, and tail, gut it and remove entire reproductive and excretory organs, including scent gland near the rectum, and it's ready for the skillet.

I never developed a taste for little wild critters though. Squirrels look like little people.

I cannot recommend frying bologna on a light bulb either. I did that once on a backyard campout, and it was more than thirty years before I could eat bologna again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16050
doggie wrote:
I cannot recommend frying bologna on a light bulb either.

:lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:02 pm 

The smell of singed bolgna on hot glass is truly horrendous. It has to be experienced to be appreciated. The only thing comparable is the sight and smell of decaying human remains mixed with kerosene. After experiencing that, it was several years before I could walk past the pork counter at the Piggly Wiggly without experiencing flashbacks. I'm still put off by the sight of raw pork ribs.,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:46 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6825
Polish Chicken=Pigeon
Italian Turkey=Crow
all of these are sometimes referred to as yard bird...
seeing as the good old days may return a smattering of hoboistic lingo might come in handy...

some signs you should know....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15052
Lye is just sodium hydroxide. You can make it by soaking certain wood ashes in water, decanting the liquid, and pouring it into melted lard. There are various "recipes" for making lye and lye soap available on the internet.

For your depression larder, stocking up on dry beans is a good idea. You can cook them in any pot. You can soften them in a dark plastic bag full of water hung up in the sunlight for a day.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:53 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6825
Keep bees...they are good...
The wax is very useful...you can grow a handle bar mustache and wax it...very striking in your sack-cloth and rain barrel depression era clothing...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 6762
If it came down to survival tactics my dad would make it and I'd be fucked. I can shoot, skin, and gut an animal. I can make a fishing pole and line. I would die of starvation because without matches I'm useless.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:54 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15052
You can start a fire with a couple green pieces of wood, a dry wood block, some dry fluff, and a shoelace. You make a fire bow. No need to impale yourself through the palm like Tom Hanks in Castaway.

Get you a green stick about 1/4" diameter, maybe 14 inches long, notch the ends, and secure the shoelace taughtly to the notches, so that the stick bends like a toy bow.

Get you another stick, call this "Stick 2," about the same or a little thicker and shorter. Loop the string of your bow around this new stick. So it's like you've entagled one stick in the string of your bow with a single loop.

Get you a rock to cover the palm of your hand. If there's a rock with a little curve or depression in it, so much the better.

Pressing Stick 2 against a wood block with the hand protected by the rock, run that bow back and forth like you're playing a fiddle. The stick caught in the loop of your bowstring should rapidly twist, causing friction where it contacts the wood block. In a few minutes it should get hot enough to glow a little. Add fluff. Ignite. Works best if the platform block is quite dry.

If you want you can protect your palm with a thick piece of hide (but it will get hot too), or a wood block with a hole in it.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits